FluxPup-1.6.0 Beta PAE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oldyeller

#61 Post by oldyeller »

@dejan555 I will add the clock skins and fluxbox styles into the next build, along with using urxvt and taking out Pctorrent. Will also add the fluxbox wallpaper.

@Terry H there is a pet in the fluxpup repo that also has around 15 styles for fluxbox as well as the ones dejan555 has provided us with.

@slavvo67 I will probably keep the power-off the way it is for now. Try the vlc in fluxpup repo and the qt-4.8.2.sfs you can get from the SFS-Downloader. I have not had any problems with this as far as I can recall.

@Everyone final will be out around two weeks if nothing else is found. I wll be building an adrv and zdrv that will have programs in them to make the iso smaller. One can download these to add more programs or one can build their own. Any suggestions will be considered.

Cheers

Marv

#62 Post by Marv »

oldyeller wrote:
@Everyone final will be out around two weeks if nothing else is found. I wll be building an adrv and zdrv that will have programs in them to make the iso smaller. One can download these to add more programs or one can build their own. Any suggestions will be considered.

Cheers
Any chance for a non-PAE? Just an old moan-and-groan Pentium M er.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

slavvo67

#63 Post by slavvo67 »

Yeller:

I haven't tried the VLC yet but I am playing more with the Gnome MPlayer. It seems to be randomly playing video and audio one time and just audio another on some files. Regardless, the right click option to view in full screen seems to work correctly so I guess that's okay.

Still playing and thanks again for the nice distro.

Best,

Slavvo67

oldyeller

#64 Post by oldyeller »

Marv wrote:
oldyeller wrote:

Cheers
Any chance for a non-PAE? Just an old moan-and-groan Pentium M er.
I will if I can get the kernel sources to compile.

gcmartin

#65 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @OldYeller and thanks for this work. Very nicely done. It operates smoothly and without complaints from any of the 32bit PCs tested. Works on all of them. GREAT!

The only item I would like to draw attention is a usability one on the default desktop in FluxPUP. Could there be a Menu>Desktop item to allows adding additional "workspaces" on the tab-bar at bottom of screen. (its not obvious where this is done)

Also, as an update, 01Micko's implementation of the LAN on the tab-bar, shows the IP address in the mouse-over. Current FluxPUP has not implemented that. Could that same be upgraded in next release?

My next tests will be videos/audios saved. Will continue testing, but, so far, clean,

Cheers

oldyeller

#66 Post by oldyeller »

gcmartin
The only item I would like to draw attention is a usability one on the default desktop in FluxPUP. Could there be a Menu>Desktop item to allows adding additional "workspaces" on the tab-bar at bottom of screen. (its not obvious where this is done)
You can add, remove or edit a workspace from here:
Attachments
workspace.png
(176.67 KiB) Downloaded 499 times

dejan555

#67 Post by dejan555 »

Or middle click for instant workspace menu
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

oldyeller

#68 Post by oldyeller »

dejan555 wrote:Or middle click for instant workspace menu
Your right, I did forget that one :D :D

Cheers

gcmartin

#69 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks. You wont believe how many times I looked at that Menu category but never opened that particular entry. I did open several of the others. Wow! So close, yet ... Thanks for the guidance! :)

Pelo

Fluxpup 1.10

#70 Post by Pelo »

Not easy ! step by step
resize file does not operate, it's the main problem. So I created a new pupsave, huge pupsave, to avoid having to increase for a long while. I will read the forum, ... after eating, because I am late ! :wink:
Topic FluxPup-1.5 : I should be the only one failing resizing pupsave ? Well.
I check the subject deeper. the pupsaveresize.txt: 5 bytes is still there qfter reboot unused,
the keyboqrd is bqck to us version too< Hu;,,,

slavvo67

#71 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm not sure if my problem relates to Pelo's exactly but my pupsave file did corrupt in Fluxpup (usb installed). I think it's due to my cache size or something so I consider it more of a Puppy problem than that of only Fluxpup. I like keeping large cache files so maybe it's a "me issue."

As previously stated, the Fluxbox menu list is "garbled" when I first boot via USB. I fix by choosing the Fluxbox menu which luckily is conveniently separated by two white lines (so I can easily locate it even without being able to read it) and choosing "restart." After that, it's clean and works properly. This is a little inconvenient.

The Gnome Mplayer still has an issue where at times it will open and play an mp4 and other times it will just play the audio. Anyway, right clicking and choosing to play fullscreen works perfectly so the issue when left clicking on the video is insignificant. I chose not to pursue this further and didn't see the need of adding vlc or other players. It's good 'nuff for me.

I have Google Chrome, Opera and Seamonkey all running smoothly. Seamonkey is not showing thumbnail previews on certain webpages but it's probably a setting issue in Seamonkey. Not a big deal as the other two browsers work perfectly.

Overall, this is a very clean looking and well working puppy. I keep a live CD in one of my 3 test computers all the time. None of the above should be considered complaints. They are just my continued observations when testing.

oldyeller

Re: Fluxpup 1.10

#72 Post by oldyeller »

Pelo wrote:Not easy ! step by step
resize file does not operate, it's the main problem. So I created a new pupsave, huge pupsave, to avoid having to increase for a long while. I will read the forum, ... after eating, because I am late ! :wink:
Topic FluxPup-1.5 : I should be the only one failing resizing pupsave ? Well.
I check the subject deeper. the pupsaveresize.txt: 5 bytes is still there qfter reboot unused,
the keyboqrd is bqck to us version too< Hu;,,,
I did a resize of 256mb and it did work, Also I had my wife do two of them on her computer at 32mb and 256mb and they both worked. Maybe it was something with your savefile.

As for the keyboard I know that this has been a problem with puppies build with precise, hopefully we will be able to fix that at some point.

Cheers

oldyeller

#73 Post by oldyeller »

@slavvo67
I'm not sure if my problem relates to Pelo's exactly but my pupsave file did corrupt in Fluxpup (usb installed). I think it's due to my cache size or something so I consider it more of a Puppy problem than that of only Fluxpup. I like keeping large cache files so maybe it's a "me issue."
So far on the 3 computers that this is running on there has been no issue with the savefile. I can start using the one on the usb and see if that is what is making the issue.
As previously stated, the Fluxbox menu list is "garbled" when I first boot via USB
How is everything in the menu after doing a reboot or restarting X? I will be doing a non-pae once I get the release out hopefully next week.
The Gnome Mplayer still has an issue where at times it will open and play an mp4 and other times it will just play the audio.
Maybe all of these problems are due to the files on the usb. Have you tried to copy the files onto the usb again and do a new savefile?

RSH

#74 Post by RSH »

Pelo wrote:the keyboard is back to us version too
oldyeller wrote:As for the keyboard I know that this has been a problem with puppies build with precise, hopefully we will be able to fix that at some point.
- boot puppy in RAM (pupmode=5)
- setup your language, country and keyboard
- restart X
- do a remaster
- keep the following files on a remaster (if they are there)

- - /etc/codepage
- - /etc/keymap
- - /etc/localtime
- - /etc/windowmanager
- - /etc/.numlock_set_on
- - /root/.jwm
- - /root/.jwmrc
- - /root/.jwmrc-tray
- - /root/Startup/numlockx

Which means (e.g.): do copy /etc/codepage to /tmp/etc/ # and so on

Note!

Do not copy file /etc/profile !!!

Put this here into a script and execute it:

LANG="`grep '^ *LANG=' /etc/profile | cut -f 2 -d =`"
SEDSCRIPT="s%^LANG.*%LANG=${LANG}%"
sed -i -e "$SEDSCRIPT" "/tmp/etc/profile"

Execute it when directory /tmp/etc is offered to be modified manually !!!

Edit:

Check file /tmp/etc/DISTRO_SPECS for this entry (needs to be there):

- DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'

After this puppy should boot straight into your language, country and keyboard settings.

At least a useful tip: do NOT use save files...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

slavvo67

#75 Post by slavvo67 »

Yes, Yeller. I had multiple installs on different USB's. I fix the "garbled menu" but it comes back every time I restart. I destroyed my puppy save on Trusty (or not so Trusty) Tahr, as well. I guess that I push these USB's and save files to the limit. Probably quite a few cache files getting saved, too. I have a script to clear them out but I kind of like keeping them around for a while.

I posed the question in another part of the forum but I believe if you fill up that save file, it'll corrupt and your done. I'm not the pro on this and it's clearly not the place to generalize.

I'm working on old Dell equipment. You're right, I usually go non-pae. No complaints--- just potential troubleshooting. If I'm the only one with the issues, it's a me thing. I'm used to that and I'm not concerned about losing a save file or two. I usually run live, anyway.

Best,

Slavvo

oldyeller

#76 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I have just uploaded "FluxPup 1.5 is pae" final at 149mb I have added flux wallpaper to the menu...fixed pwidgets so that it refreshs when changing wallpaper by the fluxbox menu. Added more themes/styles for fluxbox. I also removed some programs that I thought were over kill on during the same job.

All removed programs are in the SFS_Builder-Downloader and also in the ppm.

Added pets folder to the Builder in the file menu

gnome-mplayer still sometimes not play a file when clicked on, But I have notice that the more I use it the more it does work. If anything is still found it will be fixed ot replaced when FluxPup 1.6 comes out in around 4-6 months. Will be doing a non-pae and uploading it in a couple of days.

Cheers
Last edited by oldyeller on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Terry H

#77 Post by Terry H »

Hi Oldyeller,

I downloaded fluxpup 1.5 final and did a new frugal install on my Dell D620 (2.16 Ghz Core Duo, 2.5 GB RAM) Laptop. Set up Networking and created a new save file. After reboot all was good. I've downloaded firefox ESR 24.3 using sfs_builder and installed it. It was updated to 24.4 and working well.

All I have used so far is working well. Excellent!

Thank you.

Volhout

1.5 final

#78 Post by Volhout »

USB frugal install on EeePC1001HA: everything works.
Is this based on Slacko 5.7 ?
On Slacko wireless did not work, but Fluxpup 1.5 had wireless working.

Nice clean desktop. On the small netbook screen 1024*600 the application bar is very present and fills the whole width. Will try tonight on a lager screen.

Nice to see Opera ... always been a an of Opera.

oldyeller

Re: 1.5 final

#79 Post by oldyeller »

Volhout wrote:USB frugal install on EeePC1001HA: everything works.
Is this based on Slacko 5.7 ?
On Slacko wireless did not work, but Fluxpup 1.5 had wireless working.

Nice clean desktop. On the small netbook screen 1024*600 the application bar is very present and fills the whole width. Will try tonight on a lager screen.

Nice to see Opera ... always been a an of Opera.
No this is based off of OV-Precise 5.8 or precise 5.7.1

Cheers

oldyeller

#80 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

For all of you who wanted Manna Bible Software for FluxPup while I have finally done some programs.

1) update-1.0-for_FluxPup
2)WordSearch-1.1
3)MannaEditor-3.1

The update pet will put a Manna category in the Menu and when ever you want to check for new programs or updated ones you can use the update program to check for them.

Make sure you down load in the order of this list.
Get them here http://smokey01.com/Oldyeller/update/

Cheers