Slacko - Unable to read network drive

Using applications, configuring, problems
linbie

Slacko - Unable to read network drive

#1 Post by linbie »

Hi.

I have slacko 5.3 running on eeePC 701 as frugal install. ROX will see my network drive (USB connected to my router) but when I click on it I see it as an empty drive. If however I set up samba share then the drive is readable and fully operational. Is there any way of reading the file without samba share and if not is it possible to run samba share on boot up

Thanks in advance

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

if i follow this correctly.... what format is the network drive.... XFS is often used which puppies do not support.

mike

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Your router-USB is a NAS unit for your LAN. Every router manufactured with this capability provides smb protocols allowing PCs to map the shared offering on the router. YASSM is just one of the abilities in your PUP distro which can connect resources being shared by others on your LAN like this NAS.

I have used the mount command in the past to do same such. Here's one example that was used on an older PUP I've used (insuring you created or have a mount-point in mind):

Code: Select all

mount -t cifs /NAS-LAN_IP-addr/resource-name /mnt/mount-point_name
Assuming this works, there are several For some of these units, you may need to use a username and password to access what the NAS shares to the LAN, if that security is implemented. you will need to add the following option to the above command

Code: Select all

-o username=<name>,password=<passwd>
On the other part of your request, Puppy has acceptable methods of having this "mounting" connection to occur at boot-time.

Here to help