Unable to connect with Huawei dongle

Dafyddclaud

Unable to connect with Huawei dongle

#1 Post by Dafyddclaud »

COMPUTER IBM T41 ThinkPad
Type 2374

Hello,
My name is Dafyddclaud. This is my first post to the Linux Puppy community.
I live in the very west of Wales.

I have just downloaded Linux Puppy 5.2, I know that there are newer versions of this very good program but it was the disc that I bought a while ago & to be honest I never dared try it till now!

After discovering how good the whole program is I have wondered why it has taken me so long to venture into Linux Puppy world.

I now have a number of Windows XP systems running & I do not want to up grade because the old computers are working perfectly well enough for me & they are doing what I want them to do.

Because I do not want to buy into the trendy markets I have decided to go for the alternative computer program systems that are out there.

For me chasing after the latest gadget is not the reason nor is the cost the issue.
But the human value is important to me that is why I chose Linux Puppy in preference to Windows or Apple Mac. The old computers are working well so why scrap them?

So two queries at the moment & I am sure that the two questions have been asked many many times before.

A. Where can I read more about Puppy Linux, so to work my way around the system that I have & how to get the best out of my chosen system?

B. I am trying to connect to the internet with my Linux Puppy I can see that the Huawei dongle is being recognised by the Puppy program but it cannot open the files.
Has any one had similar experiences connecting to a Huawei dongle & any suggestions? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time in reading this letter.
Regards Dafydclaud.

nic007

Re: New member & two easy questions.

#2 Post by nic007 »

Dafyddclaud wrote:COMPUTER IBM T41 ThinkPad
Type 2374

Hello,

I have just downloaded Linux Puppy 5.2, I know that there are newer versions of this very good program but it was the disc that I bought a while ago & to be honest I never dared try it till now!

After discovering how good the whole program is I have wondered why it has taken me so long to venture into Linux Puppy world.

I now have a number of Windows XP systems running & I do not want to up grade because the old computers are working perfectly well enough for me & they are doing what I want them to do.

Because I do not want to buy into the trendy markets I have decided to go for the alternative computer program systems that are out there.

For me chasing after the latest gadget is not the reason nor is the cost the issue.
But the human value is important to me that is why I chose Linux Puppy in preference to Windows or Apple Mac. The old computers are working well so why scrap them?

So two queries at the moment & I am sure that the two questions have been asked many many times before.

A. Where can I read more about Puppy Linux, so to work my way around the system that I have & how to get the best out of my chosen system?

B. I am trying to connect to the internet with my Linux Puppy I can see that the Huawei dongle is being recognised by the Puppy program but it cannot open the files.
Has any one had similar experiences connecting to a Huawei dongle & any suggestions? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Dafydclaud.
Huawei dongle as in USB 3G stick? I connected Huawei E170 the other day when using Wary Puppy 5.3 Connection using pupdial which should recognise the modem automatically. Just configure by putting in dial number, user name and password. In my case it's asterisk99hash, 1 and zero. Puppy has quite a lot of help files. Click on the help icon on desktop or in menu and follow links from there.

raffy

pgprs

#3 Post by raffy »

Hope you got it working. The following is just my way of doing it.

I always looked for pgprs in Puppy. Often, this can be found in /usr/share/applications, but if not, just try pgprs in terminal.

The dialog tells you to input a device name, usually /dev/ttyUSB0 (you will see it in the dialog), and then you input the telco's access codes, see this example:

APN http.glo.com
NUMBER *99***1#

Username, password and PIN are generally unnecessary. The values for APN and NUMBER are unique for every telco.

EDIT: I checked a recent Puppy and it has GPRS Modem and Connect choices in the Setup - Internet Connection Wizard.
Last edited by raffy on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

vicmz

connect by usb modem/dongle

#4 Post by vicmz »

I've written a small HowTo here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 421#747421

It works to me, and someone has confirmed it works to him as well. Read carefully. :wink:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Dafyddclaud

Re: Unable to connect with Huawei dongle

#5 Post by Dafyddclaud »

Dafyddclaud wrote:COMPUTER IBM T41 ThinkPad
Type 2374

Hello,

Regards Dafydclaud.

Connections to the great wide web.

Good morning from a sunny west of Wales.
Makes a change to the rain :D .

Thank you all for the help that you have sent me so far.
I will be looking forward in putting into practice what you all have advised me to do tomorrow evening with regards to how to connect to my Huaewei E367 dongle.

I am in the greenhouse at present cleaning & planing things.

Again I do thank you all & I will reply in detail how I get on either with success or with failure.

Regards
Dafyddclaud.

Dafyddclaud

#6 Post by Dafyddclaud »

Good morning,
Sorry to of not got back to all of you earlier.
I am still having problems with getting my dongle to communicate with my Puppy Linux.

I feel that there are gaps with the info that I have been following religiously that you all have given me.
However I am trying to work out where the gaps are & also I am trying to find a solution but I am no expert with the Linux systems so I am rather blind with where to go next.

Now if I right click with my mouse on SR1 (SR1 being the image that appears when I connect my dongle to the computer)
When I right click on the dongle image a green light comes on.
I presume that the soft wear recognises that the dongle is present. But that is where it all ends at present.
I can see the files in a window that appears after I right click on the image, but the Linux system does not relate or communicate with the filing system inside the dongle.

So I feel that I need to do some thing so that the Linux system that I am using can not only recognise the dongle but also communicate with it in a similar language. I feel that this is my missing link or strings!

To add
If I remove the dongle from the computer then the image goes out on my screen & the files disappear from inside the window.
So I feel that the computer operating system does recognise the dongle but it does not know what to do with it.

Any ideas?

Regards Dafyddclaud.