MJWM - alternative menu generator for JWM

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

OK, guys, he's fixed both those issues you reported.

So Terry, what are the reasons for your one? Did you write it specifically because you wanted to implement a menu-root.lst, because Barry's and Techno's ones both hard-code the categories? Or are there other reasons for it as well?
And were you aware of the thread I linked above on implementing the /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu? I saw your complaint about different menu systems using "proprietary crap", so I would have thought you'd go for that, instead of inventing your own proprietary system. Even if you had a tool that build menu-root.lst from applications.menu...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

Tried this in Slackware. Has all the usual problems; JWM needs the extension of the icons ; JWM doesn't handle the %f,%F, %u and %U very nicely. Perhaps the %X issues should be reported to Joe as this has been standard for a while. Puppy strips those off with a sed call if something is installed through PPM. Categories worked fine. No KDE programs are found because /usr/share/applications/kde4/ isn't searched unless you tell mjwm to, but I don't think it handles 2 locations at once. No big deal. Could work around that with a separate include. Not that I will bother.

For a long time the Icon= entry had the file extension of the icon but now it seems most have dropped this.

EDIT: on second thought, JWM has never tried to generate menus so it's not Joe's problem.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sunburnt

#18 Post by sunburnt »

disciple; It looks like Mobeus was addressing what I looked at awhile back.
I decided that it is way more than I really wanted, and I began to make a simpler setup.

My Puppy has only root menu and it`s sub app items, so it`s quick and easy to access apps.
All that`s needed then is a file to set the root menu categories.
And a translation file to resolve the desktop file`s Categories= to those root menu categories.
Nothing`s fool proof, but this works and is so simple.
But it doesn`t use menu files, so I made a menu file to desktop file converter utility.

I know it departs from the FreeDesktop standard. If I see a good implementation of it, I`ll use it.

seaside

Prototype for "Standard" menus in puppy

#19 Post by seaside »

Here's a prototype of what puppy might look like utilizing the "Standard" menu categories. It consists of three files, "pup_desk_parse_standard", "jwmrc_build" and the original "mjwm".

"pup_desk_parse_standard" grossly reassigns all of Categories in the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files to the "standard menu" without submenus and terminates each "Category=Somename" with a semicolon.

"jwmrc_build" then builds a new .jwmrc file using the new .desktop category assignments with "mjwm", and restarts Jwm.

Just decompress the attached file "pup_standard.tar.gz" to /root, run "pup_desk_parse_standard", followed by "jwmrc_build".

Probably better to run this without a save file, because while modifying the desktop files doesn't impact the normal creation of the jwm menu, some empty sed tmp error files appear in /usr/share/applications.

The main category icons are missing, but can be easily supplied with a category link file pointing to an icon.

The rebuild clocks at time.026 vs 2.042 for fixmenus. (And the fixmenus time doesn't include the jwm -restart.)

Pretty fast and probably could be further optimized.

Cheers,
s
Attachments
standard_menu.png
(61.64 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
pup_standard.tar.gz
(99.55 KiB) Downloaded 218 times