RealTek 8188CE in Slacko 5.7 [solved]

For drivers and kernel modules.
abuian

RealTek 8188CE in Slacko 5.7 [solved]

#1 Post by abuian »

Sorry to start yet another thread on rtl8192ce, but I can't find anything in the existing discussions that will address my problem.

In Slacko 5.7 and 5.6, no wifi is detected, even after adding the rtl8192ce module and rebooting. It appears that the required firmware is present, based on pemasu's post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 681#662681

Precise 5.7 detects it out of the box; I thought maybe that was because of the later kernel, but it also works without modification in Racy 5.5.

I really don't want to take extraordinary measures like pulling in the Windows driver, since it appears to work in other puppies. But I don't know what else might be missing from Slacko that's causing the problem.

Trevor
Last edited by abuian on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark

Re: RealTek 8188CE in Slacko 5.7

#2 Post by ardvark »

abuian wrote:In Slacko 5.7 and 5.6, no wifi is detected, even after adding the rtl8192ce module and rebooting.
Hi Trevor...

Just as a guess but I noticed in the thread you provided that one of the files was for kernel version 3.2.29. Slacko 5.6 comes with the 3.10.5 kernel (for PAE versions, 3.4.52 for non-PAE.) This would make the file in question incompatible with your version of Slacko. :(

EDIT: I happened to come across this thread just a second ago, which might (or might not) further explain your situation. Would you open a terminal and post the output of this command if your device is USB...

Code: Select all

lsusb
If your device is onboard or like a PCI add-on card...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

abuian

#3 Post by abuian »

The driver that I tried loading came with the Slacko distribution, so I assume it's the right one for this kernel. I don't think the firmware is supposed to be kernel-specific, but it also came with the current distro. I only referenced the earlier discussion to point out that the required firmware has already been identified, and from what I can tell, it's already included.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Please see my edit above. :wink:

Regards...

abuian

#5 Post by abuian »

It actually turns out that I'm running the non-PAE version (I didn't intend to do that, so maybe it's worth trying the PAE, since I'll want to switch anyway); if this bug affects 3.10.x, it may not be relevant.

I assumed you meant lspci -nnv

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8181]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 3000
Memory at c0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 01-91-81-fe-ff-4c-e0-00
Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

abuian wrote:It actually turns out that I'm running the non-PAE version (I didn't intend to do that, so maybe it's worth trying the PAE, since I'll want to switch anyway); if this bug affects 3.10.x, it may not be relevant.
Hi...

Thank you for posting the information I requested.

Please post back and tell us the results once you get the PAE version installed. If you still have problems, we can try to go from there. :)

Regards...

abuian

#7 Post by abuian »

Well, oddly that seems to have fixed the problem. It still leaves unsolved the mystery of why it wasn't working. The bug you identified is supposed to affect 3.10.x, so switching to that kernel version should cause the problem (if anything), rather than fix it. Also, the Slacko 5.6 version that I tried was already PAE, and it didn't work there either.

Well, at least I can connect now. Thanks for the discussion. At least it showed that I was running the wrong version and that switching to PAE should get me sorted out. Now let's hope it doesn't introduce other issues :D

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

abuian wrote:Well, oddly that seems to have fixed the problem. It still leaves unsolved the mystery of why it wasn't working. The bug you identified is supposed to affect 3.10.x, so switching to that kernel version should cause the problem (if anything), rather than fix it. Also, the Slacko 5.6 version that I tried was already PAE, and it didn't work there either.

Well, at least I can connect now. Thanks for the discussion. At least it showed that I was running the wrong version and that switching to PAE should get me sorted out. Now let's hope it doesn't introduce other issues :D
Cool! I'm glad you got it sorted out. It's possible that the 3.10.5 kernel was patched or fixed in some way. If you would, if there are no further problems, please mark the thread as "solved." :)

Regards...