Vala gtk+ compiling problem

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
PaulR

Vala gtk+ compiling problem

#1 Post by PaulR »

All the little apps I written so far compile no problem so I thought it was time to try a gui program. I installed gtk+3-3.4.4 but when I try:

valac --pkg gtk+3-3.4.4 "gtk-app.vala" -o gtk-app

I get this error:

error: Package `gtk+3-3.4.4' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories

I guess I'm missing something or it's in the wrong place or not in the path... can anyone help please?

TIA

Paul

SeanVN

#2 Post by SeanVN »

Don't expect much help here. Maybe there is a better forum to get basic information? I tried that programming language on Fatdog64 but it just flaked out at the end of the project wizard. Puff-it was gone. I guess that is what a wizard is supposed do. Including Linux ones-perhaps in a combinatorial explosion of command line options. It is always a good idea to disappear after you have led someone up the garden path.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

How did you install that GTK? And why? I guess your Puppy doesn't include GTK3?
I think there is a long-running vala programming thread - maybe try posting in it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

PaulR

#4 Post by PaulR »

Thanks for the replies... I think I've given up on this (for now at least) although I'm still using Vala on a Mint machine.

Cheers

Paul

johnywhy

#5 Post by johnywhy »

hi, i would like to compile a gnome vala application for puppy. any help getting started?

plz reply detailed question here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=844210

thx
noob