Looking to speed up booting

Booting, installing, newbie
777funk

Looking to speed up booting

#1 Post by 777funk »

I just installed puppy to the HD and appreciate the simplicity. I have a few questions and I'll keep them in separate topics.

My first question and thanks in advance for the help, I see it's possible to skip or minimize grub timeout. That will be my starting point. Is there a way to shorten the load time? At the bootup after bios, it shows something about configuring input devices and kernel each time (takes about 30 seconds on that screen). Is there a way to skip this?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Which version of Puppy? Is your HD install full or frugal? Also, how much RAM have you and did you create a swap partition?

777funk

#3 Post by 777funk »

I've got the Precise Puppy 5.7 and have it Full install. I've got 2GB RAM and did create a Linux Swap.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I only run Puppy from a multisession DVD so I'm no expert, but I think a frugal install can be made to boot faster than a full install. As for the Grub timeout, I have no idea but I know the question has been asked and answered several times in this forum. Have you tried using the forum Search feature to look for "Grub timeout" or something like that?

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

quirky tahr boots directly to the desktop. people have sped up booting on other puppies (beyond my comfort level to play around with) and may be around to help you, but if you don't have much time invested in your set up, it's something you may want to check out.

666philb

#6 Post by 666philb »

hi 777funk

if you open the your menu.1st file in a text editor (depends which grub you used but it will either be on the primary partition of the first harddrive ... or in a folder called boot (i think) on the hd)

there is a time out setting on the menu.1st .... if there is a '#' at the start of the timeout line delete it and then enter the timeout value you want and save..... reboot :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

777funk

#7 Post by 777funk »

Thanks very much for the help thus far! I didn't put that clearly and sorry about this but I was saying I was going to start by shortening grub timeout which I had found previous to the thread in my search. This will be the starting place and thanks.

I would like to know if the other things eating up boot time are possible to eliminate (i.e. the checking input devices screen etc). I may reinstall and use the frugal to see if that fixes the "issue" which really isn't issue. But if it can be sped up, why not! ;)

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

*Insider* thinking on boot speed >> Amigo and Technosaurus.