Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 09:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Slacko 5.6 Flash USB-HDD boot works!! Saved setup not seen..
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
fudoki

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2014, 16:42    Post subject:  Slacko 5.6 Flash USB-HDD boot works!! Saved setup not seen..
Subject description: Saved CD-boot session on sda3 not seen and loaded...

On an older (2008) Abit MB w/4Gb, AMD X2 5200 that would only boot Puppy from CD, I tried the "Flash" booting option and selected the recommended "USB-HDD" choice. Even though the BIOS only has selections for USB-ZIP,LS and USB-FDD (my bad, got machines confused) the computer boots reliably; but, the saved session from the CD boot I have been using is not seen or loaded. Every session is new. Have not saved a new session from the USB boot, have a good deal of un-backed up data to save first. This box if my "Windows XP SP2" games machine, and it is often booted with Slacko for actual work when I need a second machine close at hand. Slacko is excellent, as-is, for most technical work, and makes using a Window$ box secure for my projects. Would prefer to be able to tell the USB Slacko to utilise the saved session.

Partitions are as follows: sda1=NTFS, sda2=FAT32, sda3=ext3. The Slacko save file on sda3 is ext2 with "light" encryption.

When the computer boots from the USB stick there is no delay or prompt where I might enter any parameters; the machine just rolls into the Slacko boot and in less than 10 seconds is loaded and asking the usual "first run" questions.

My goal is to carry this USB stick with me to boot DNA (Darn Near Any) computer for diagnostics and possibly maintenance. I cannot put anything into the process that ties the USB stick to this one personal machine without defeating the purpose of the exercise.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

BTW, Slacko is just brilliant: stable, reliable, lightning fast, and very attractive. Thanks!

fudoki
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2014, 00:22    Post subject:  

If I well understand you have made a full install in a usb stick seen as usbhd. You can't use it to load a save file. Use another usb stick with usbflash installer: use Puppy Universal Installer, choose usbflash and syslinux Mbr. Now you should have the boot options booting the usb stick. To load a savefile in sda3 you should use the boot option:

Code:
boot: puppy pmedia=atahd

If I well remember you should copy to sda3 at root dir the basic vmlinuz, initrd.gz, the main sfs file, and the syslinux.cfg from the usb stick. Open with geany syslinux.cfg in sda3 and change "pmedia=usbflash" with "pmedia=atahd".
fredk661682

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2014, 07:13    Post subject:  

I think you have used bootflash installer - USB-HDD.
If so, you may edit syslinux.cfg from the usb stick, delete " pmedia=usbflash " and save it, so savefiles will be searched on every drive.
If there is only one savefile found, there will be no delay/prompt, if there are many, you will have to select one. You may also copy savefile on the usb stick.
This works on MY computer.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: