Toshiba Sat. with UEFI BIOS won't boot Precise CD (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
blanton62

Toshiba Sat. with UEFI BIOS won't boot Precise CD (Solved)

#1 Post by blanton62 »

I just purchased a new Toshiba Satellite C55d-A5120 with Windows 8.1 installed and I cannot get it to boot Puppy from a CD. I have a 3 year old Toshiba that boots just fine from the same CD. I changed the boot order in the BIOS so it would try to boot from CD first, but it didn't help. When I restarted the computer, I could hear it reading from the CD, but it opened Windows. I am new to Linux and am not very knowledgeable about how it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you know if the laptop has UEFI BIOS?

blanton62

#3 Post by blanton62 »

yes, it does have UEFI BIOS.

fredk661682

#4 Post by fredk661682 »

Can you disable the UEFI option in the BIOS and switch to something else (LEGACY) ?
Do you have a "secure boot" option in the BIOS ?
You may also try puppy Fatdog64, it boot on standard systems, UEFI systems, and systems with Secure Boot enabled (Windows_8) : http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

blanton62

#5 Post by blanton62 »

I tried the secure boot with Fatboy64 and the computer hung up and never loaded either Fatboy64 or Windows. The Toshiba logo came on the screen and nothing else ever happened.
I can't find any way to switch to Legacy.

fredk661682

#6 Post by fredk661682 »

Can you disable "secure boot" ?
You may also try Xubuntu 13.10. 64 bit.

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

Probably the same method....
and then boot Puppy.

"""""""""

Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to
completely power off.

Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed
to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.

-Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled"

Go to the Advanced tab,
enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode
to "CSM Boot."

-Press F10 to save and exit. "

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1815- ... -downgrade

Chris.

blanton62

#8 Post by blanton62 »

Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it. I now have Precise booted and running. The next problem I have to solve is getting connected to my wireless.

Larry

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Larry, would you tell us exactly what you did that solved your problem? Thanks. :)

blanton62

#10 Post by blanton62 »

Flash, I pressed the F2 key during power on which gave me the UETI setup menu. Then I clicked on the Security Tab and changed the "Secure Boot" to "Disabled". Next, I went to the "Advanced Tab" and entered "System Configuration" and set the "Boot Mode" to "CSM Boot". Then I exited the setup menu and Puppy booted just fine.

The only problem is that if I want to work in Windows, I have to go through the same procedure and change the settings back to what they were originally.

I still haven't been able to connect to the internet. I'm still trying, but I may need advice on that later.

Larry

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that Windows would not boot if UEFI BIOS was disabled. That's interesting, if not entirely unexpected. :roll:

If you ask for help connecting to the Internet, it will work best for all concerned if you start a new thread rather than continue with this one. :)

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

yep its a wonderful thing... turn it off and never have win8 get in your way again.. But you can still see the hardrive so not sure how that is supposedly secures windows8. But that is Microsoft for you. :roll: It is amazing how fast it runs without win8 but linux or my case fatdog64 630..