What's the best way to fix a segmentation fault error?

Booting, installing, newbie
Puppus Dogfellow

What's the best way to fix a segmentation fault error?

#1 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

What's the best way to fix a segmentation fault error? Recoll has never failed until today. since the icon didn't work, i tried to launch it from the terminal and got "Segmentation fault."

how to fix?

thanks.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Puppus Dogfellow

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

uh, have now. will look at it more closely when i am less bleary eyed.

thanks.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Has it or a dependent library been updated.

segmentation fault means it wants a newer processor or is broken with regards to a core library usually like glibc.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Has it or a dependent library been updated.

segmentation fault means it wants a newer processor or is broken with regards to a core library usually like glibc.

mike
it hasn't been updated and the only thing i can recall it depending on (xapian) hasn't either.

the program itself hasn't been modified since i last used it, but i have added and taken away a few audio programs over the last week or so...

:?

not sure if this is much of a helpful hint, but i've also messed up my vlc installation...

one other thing--i tried to install a pet i made for the upgraded xpad, but as far as i know, the machine ignored the pet (or the upgraded features are vapor).

darren.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

but i have added and taken away a few audio programs over the last week or so...
most likely the problem.... the package manager does not always seem to remove what its added i find.

Check in /initrd/pup_rw to see what has been added.

You will probably find if you run a pfix=ram session it will work ok so something in the save file is the problem

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:
but i have added and taken away a few audio programs over the last week or so...
most likely the problem.... the package manager does not always seem to remove what its added i find.

You will probably find if you run a pfix=ram session it will work ok so something in the save file is the problem

mike
thanks, mike.

how do i know what's been added if i've never looked at what's there before?

this is a frugal install that's presently been running a bit over four days with maybe ten manual saves (precise 5.5. w/ autosaves turned off on this machine) during that time.

none of folders (/initrd/pup_rw/dev /initrd/pup_rw/etc /initrd/pup_rw/initrd /initrd/pup_rw/lib /initrd/pup_rw/mnt /initrd/pup_rw/opt /initrd/pup_rw/root /initrd/pup_rw/sys /initrd/pup_rw/tmp /initrd/pup_rw/usr /initrd/pup_rw/var) are aglow...

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

aglow???

look in /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib and perhaps /initrd/pup_rw/lib ... if any libraries have been changed you will see them in there .

Some packages are stupid enough to change things like glibc or gtk libs.

mike

edit...of course its probably a usb jobbie...

look under /initrd/pup_ro1/ same folders ....

Puppus Dogfellow

#9 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:aglow???

look in /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib and perhaps /initrd/pup_rw/lib ... if any libraries have been changed you will see them in there .

Some packages are stupid enough to change things like glibc or gtk libs.

mike

edit...of course its probably a usb jobbie...

look under /initrd/pup_ro1/ same folders ....
"Aglow" because Rox illuminates the titles of recently changed files....

SD card carry the same instructions?

On phone, will mess around with it some more when I'm back from the museum.

Thanks again, mike.

--d

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Yes SD card or usb.... has an extra layer... pup_rw is the tmpfs = RAM .... pup_ro1 is the persistance layer = contents of save file

mike

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
fsck your savefile.
Boot pfix=ram
Ex. e2fsck /path-to/pupsave.2fs
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Puppus Dogfellow

#12 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:

[...]
Yes SD card or usb.... has an extra layer... pup_rw is the tmpfs = RAM .... pup_ro1 is the persistance layer = contents of save file

mike
nothing seems amiss but i think i now see why every time i delete unused sfs files from / they reappear at reboot--there they are...
can i delete those files? (guess i'll find out soon enough--couldn't resist.)

...hmm. nothing seems amiss but i may be looking in entirely the wrong places within pup_rw, pup_ro1...
puppyluvr
PostPosted: Today, at 14:37 Post subject:
Very Happy Hello,
fsck your savefile.
Boot pfix=ram
Ex. e2fsck /path-to/pupsave.2fs
puppyluvr, is "fsck your savefile" different than what happens when the boot up process says "checking savefile for errors" (or something similarly worded)?

i've never done the pfix ram thing--when/how do i enter this command? do i interrupt the normal boot up process or "exit to prompt" from what's currently running?...

btw, how do you interrupt the normal boot up process?

thanks again for all the help...

(and it's cool to finally have a clue as to what all that pup-ro type stuff refers to...)

wonder if a simple reboot may've saved everyone some headache...
:?

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Fun stuff... snapmergepuppy is supposed to merge changes from pup_rw to pup_ro1 but as you seem to have found it does not do the job quite as it should be... I scrapped that approach some years ago.

So you have sfs files being persistant... cause of unwanted libraries?

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#14 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Fun stuff... snapmergepuppy is supposed to merge changes from pup_rw to pup_ro1 but as you seem to have found it does not do the job quite as it should be... I scrapped that approach some years ago.

So you have sfs files being persistant... cause of unwanted libraries?

mike
even if they're not loaded?

(though some messages from an old sfs that pop up in french i guess partially answers that...)

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

hmm ok a bit lost on the sfs problem you mention.... sfs on the fly making them persistant perhaps? Not a script I use myself so how sfs are handled in puppy is not my domain.... I follow the slax approach.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#16 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:hmm ok a bit lost on the sfs problem you mention.... sfs on the fly making them persistant perhaps? Not a script I use myself so how sfs are handled in puppy is not my domain.... I follow the slax approach.

mike
the sfs files are not really there according to the sfs load program. an old libreoffice from asri i installed defaults to french. every "major" upgrade (second digit) i do asks me to set run actions for text, odt, and doc/x files. even though the program is removed, the popup asks me to set run actions in french, so i figured this was related to what you were talking about.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Hmm ok might be leftovers in /root causing that

mike