FatdogArm Beta1/2/3/4- 16 April 2016

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

#496 Post by don570 »

Does Odroid use a config.txt file??
I guess not. I'm reading...
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_tips

--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is how raspberry pi sets monitor resolution.
The standard method is to change a couple of key lines in the config.txt file.
You change to this before booting .

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

don570

#497 Post by don570 »

Fatdog linux does allow changing of video resolution during bootup
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html

TwoPuppyPolicy

#498 Post by TwoPuppyPolicy »

Here are FD arm configurable files from kernel package. Any thoughts will be tried.
Attachments
Bootfiles.tar.gz
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

8Geee

#499 Post by 8Geee »

O_o this is slightly generic. hdmi is using standard rez's in fatdog_arm. A good friend of mine is looking at the XU-4 (k3.10) along with a vg/exc rated 10" 1920x1200 hdmi/vga monitor. As don570 notes the XU-4 can support the rez in hdmi but FDA would have to uncomment the "forced" resolution and retype the rez to 1920x1200... 60hz is OK. That means commenting out the 1024x768 default setting further down the list.

The question I have is has anyone fiddled with these controls?, and am I on the right path?

edit: monitor pricing and specs can be found here.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

TwoPuppyPolicy

#500 Post by TwoPuppyPolicy »

Is this project dead
I bought one of these odroid boards as my three and a half year old laptop is ailing. First the tab key stayed depressed wont pop up. Decided to have a backup system as I have read a long time ago that laptops are only made to last 3 years just like washing machines and everything else are made to last 3 years. Two weeks after the odroid arrived the laptop stopped seeing the hard drive, lucky linus boots from USB.
I have a no china policy also, just because the south china sea is called the south china sea doesent mean that china owns it, not buying another laptop, there all made in china. Odroid is out of S Korera.
Have a no windows policy also. had no choice but to pay gates once for his OS pre installed on the laptop, no more.
It was BK who suggested that every body using Puppy should read the article about microsoft with Silly Dog in the title to see what microsoft really is.
I want this FD to work, besides I'm addicted to the big screen, I lashed out on a 26 inch TV and a wireless touch pad keyboard, who needs a piddley 15 inch laptop, this odroid seems just as fast.

don570

#501 Post by don570 »

I don't have an Odroid however if you go to this site
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/ibiblio/distribu ... fs/alpha4/
you'll notice some odroid sfs files.

The kernel is here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/arm/re ... nel.tar.gz

You will need to carefully read through James Bond's instructions and
then prepare your SD card properly.

Here is the instructions for intel processor. Some of these instructions
are useful for arm processor as well.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html
_-----------------------------------------

TwoPuppyPolicy

#502 Post by TwoPuppyPolicy »

Don
I have FD arm up and running for a month or so, but having to use bongo drums as FD is unfinished. I must be the only one using a Odroid xu4. I took usb-tether from FD 64 and it works with my phone, 4G. But seamonkey is so old I get the 'get me out of here' message.
I have been able to open up the SFS and removed seamonkey with firefox arm .deb, but cant fire it up. Firefox from command line says 'command not found' In FD 64 firefox is a cog-wheel in 'arm' it is a 'linked library' never going to fire up. I have looked up 'command not found', theres a million of them, none the same, none about firefox and linked library. I am using bongo drums but I am spoilt rotten from using Puppy/FD with Rox. Having to 'sudo' everything one wants to do really is the pits.
How do I change 'firefox to a cog-wheel.

ally

#503 Post by ally »

I've an xu4 on the shelf awaiting use

agree with the sudo thing!

:)

jamesbond

#504 Post by jamesbond »

The project isn't dead, but it's in hibernation, at least as of now.
As much as I'd like to keep it going, at this stage I have too much things on my hands.

With Fatdog64, there four of us now - kirk, myself, SFR, and step.
With FatdogArm, there is still only one of me.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

don570

#505 Post by don570 »

Finally tracked down instructions to install on Odroid
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... a1/INSTALL
http://www.lightofdawn.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00161

spotted

#506 Post by spotted »

formerly twopuppypolicy, wrecked my sign in, could not retrieve password

Bummer
If its in hibernation and JB has no time to work on it for me that is it is dead. I got one of these because of FDarm and BK said he had Puppy working on his odroid. I would have my 2 puppies and no need for MSdog and the chinese laptop could 'crap its self any time it likes'
Yes Ally, I know what you mean, if you put a Puppy flash drive into bongo drums you cant even open my docks or downloads without sudo the file manager. The latest firefox just does'nt work in arm, so I had the idea of installing firefox 52 into bongo and copying it to FDarm. Bongo would not let me install firefox 52, because there is a later version and it would break hunspell. So I went into var to delete firefox and bongo would not let me do that. Sudo the file manager and deleted firefox, then I could not empty the trash can, even with sudo. Firefox .deb is stuck in the trash can, but not for long, FD 64 knew what to do with firefox in the trash can. Transfer a ordinary file, folder, or web page from FD to a flash drive then to bongo and bongo locks them needing to sudo the file manager just to view them. Only redeeming feature in bongo is that Caja file manager has 2 pane when needed, only thing lacking with Rox.

from JB blog

OEM Linux kernel (fork of Linux kernel). There are a ton of these forks, each ARM CPU maker and ARM boardmaker effectively has one of them. They are mostly failed; the fork didn't advance beyond the original patching to support the OEM. That's why so may Android devices are stuck at 3.x kernels. Only one or two are successful, and those who are, are merging back their changes to the mainline - and eventually will vanish once the integration is done.

I cant wait, meanwhile I shall soldier on ant try to compile firefox

spotted

#507 Post by spotted »

Decided against firefox, too many depends missing, tried compiling seamonkey. Didnt finish ./configure, something was missing, I thought everything should be there as monkey is already installed, peeved off, deleted monkey.
Tried netsurf as I have it installed, everything should be there. During make it kept going round in a loop. It seemed to be taking a long time to 'make' so I looked at what was rolling past on the screen. I saw the same lines rolling past about every minute or two, it was in a continuous loop, I didnt give it a second chance, deleted it. Just for the hell of it tried to configure dillo, not finish configure, deleted.
Ally, any room left on your shelf for my odroi

Mercedes350se

#508 Post by Mercedes350se »

spotted wrote:Ally, any room left on your shelf for my odroi
Don't despair. Install meveric's (Odroid forum) Debian Jessie and enjoy.

spotted

Fireing up Firefox

#509 Post by spotted »

In firefox for ARM everything in usr/lib is a

application/x-sharelib shared library

instead of being a

application/x-executable executable

from the command line

#firefox
sh: firefox: command not found

What can be done to make everything "executable"
Then I can work on finding all the depends.
I cant find a seamonkey for arm.

spotted

#510 Post by spotted »

Don't despair. Install meveric's (Odroid forum) Debian Jessie and enjoy.

Coming to you using bongo druns now, Debian will be the same

I do despair Benz, I need a fresh cup of coffee

#sudo su coffee break

# you do not have permission to leave your computer to make a cup of coffee

Might as well be using ms-dog as any other linux, its puppy linux and FD for me, the browser in its new 'home' and no systemd.
Both meverics debian and diet pi are headless, no desktop, I am on USB broardband and wifi is needed to install the desktop.

ally

#511 Post by ally »

thanks for the link, may give the game studio a spin

:)

lizardidi

#512 Post by lizardidi »

Good day everyone!

Is it possible to run fatdog arm on Orange Pi PC? Or is there any instructions to do so? (Am trying to convert/puppified all my SBC boards. really appreciate if anyone can show me the instructions if i missed it. )

don570

#513 Post by don570 »

Is it possible to run fatdog arm on Orange Pi PC?
No.
FatdogArm is known to run on:

Allwinner A20 / Cubieboard
Odroid-U2, Odroid-U3, Odroid-XU3, Odroid-XU4
OLPC XO-1.75
OLPC XO-4 Touch
Pandora
Cubox-i i2 and i4pro
Google Nexus 7 (2012 edition)
Raspberry Pi 2
Qemu (qemu-system-arm supporting RealView and VExpress emulation)