Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 04:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Who Needs a Hard Disk? :-P
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Blackfish

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014, 03:50    Post subject:  Who Needs a Hard Disk? :-P
Subject description: Save Battery: Run Puppy Hard Drive Free!

DELL Latitude D531. Started running Puppy 5.7.1 on it about three weeks ago.

Old habits die hard...

I got to thinking yesterday, every time I sit down to work on the computer, I boot up in the usual manner. I push the power button, power kicks in, hard drive kicks up and starts spinning... What for? I don't know...

This morning, powered down machine, unplugged everything, flipped it over, removed hard drive. Flipped machine back over, plugged in Puppy USB stick, pressed power button, booted up, went to work in silence, less heat, less friction--and puppy works just the same. The only moving parts left are the CD unit and the processor fan. Battery lasts much, much longer, too.

Not sure why they even make hard drives anymore. For what? Why don't they just build and run everything from memory?
ardvark

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 03:56    Post subject: Re: Who Needs Hardware? :-P
Subject description: Save Battery: Run Puppy Hard Drive Free!

Blackfish wrote:
Not sure why they even make hard drives anymore. For what? Why don't they just build and run everything from memory?

Hi...

For myself personally, I prefer having the storage capabilities a hard drive offers. I don't wish to run everything in or from memory. Wink

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
NickAu

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 06:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
The only moving parts left are the CD unit and the processor fan. Battery lasts much, much longer, too.

I Know what you mean.

Quote:
I prefer having the storage capabilities a hard drive offers

32 gig SD card instead of HDD.
A 128 gig Sd Card Costs about 60 bucks.SSD Is about the same. I think we will soon start seeing 1tb SdCards And SSD's at good prices. good bye spinning hard drive,
I have not figured out how to make this pc boot from SD Card if I ever do good bye USB stick I would never be able to fill a 128 gig card.

jp734

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 15:02    Post subject:  

I know what you mean. My laptop right now is using a CFcard to IDE adapter with a 32GB CF card. So I have a SSD so to speak. LOL

Using a SD card is doable as well and I've done it using a usb card reader. You can just imagine how many times we've replaced our cell phone because of a new contract and every phone they give comes with at least 2GB of mini sd card. So I use them to try a different OS and others for storage.
ally

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 15:08    Post subject:  

I run my laptops without batteries when on mains power, reduces temps quite a lot

will be trying out and old IBM t21 with a compact flash instead of a hdd as a poor man's ssd just for fun

Smile
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 16:07    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
I run my laptops without batteries when on mains power, reduces temps quite a lot

will be trying out and old IBM t21 with a compact flash instead of a hdd as a poor man's ssd just for fun

Smile

Discharge to 40% and store in cool place.. let come to room temps to charge. ok to use cold most of mine are in double ziplock sandwitch bags in back of frig. will last long time.
Marv

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 16:56    Post subject:  

jp734 wrote:
I know what you mean. My laptop right now is using a CFcard to IDE adapter with a 32GB CF card. So I have a SSD so to speak. LOL

Using a SD card is doable as well and I've done it using a usb card reader. You can just imagine how many times we've replaced our cell phone because of a new contract and every phone they give comes with at least 2GB of mini sd card. So I use them to try a different OS and others for storage.

All of my laptops are either pata to cf card adapter, sata to cf card adapter or SDD. SDDs are Intel X25-M mostly and the CF cards I favor are the Transcend industrials. Relatively inexpensive and totally totally reliable in this service. Hard disks are relegated to external usb enclosures and used for archiving. System has been in place since roughly pup 4.12 when pupmode 13 got ironed out and I'm never going back. For years at work, tending a largish stable of computers with continuously dying rotating parts my holy grail was NO moving parts. Puppy linux realised that grail Very Happy

Blackfish

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar 2014, 20:42    Post subject: Storage
Subject description: I just store everything on the USB stick.

I bought a few little 4 gig USB sticks and set them all up with Puppy. I boot from the USB stick, run Puppy from it, and store all my files on it. When one gets full, or close enough to it, I just start with another one. Then I date and store the full sticks in my file cabinet with the rest of my files.

I could use bigger sticks than 4 gig for storage, but running the risk of losing or breaking a stick only means more loss if something like that occurs. I like breaking it up into smaller bites. Safer that way.
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 06:05    Post subject:  

I'm curently using Slacko on USB Stick (frugal install, my machine don't have option to boot from USB even via ZIP option so i have to always use CD to start Puppy) with my old PC because HD is full of Bad Sectors. But i want to buy an adapter SD-ATA and use SD cards like hard disks. Does anybody have any experience with those adapters?
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'm curently using Slacko on USB Stick (frugal install, my machine don't have option to boot from USB even via ZIP option so i have to always use CD to start Puppy) with my old PC because HD is full of Bad Sectors. But i want to buy an adapter SD-ATA and use SD cards like hard disks. Does anybody have any experience with those adapters?

I used a CF card like this for a while.
If all loads to ram then once running its fine. Any system still fully or partially running from the flash will tend to have lagginess when starting apps for example. Windows suffered the most in this respect.
With yer standard SD or CF flash there is a lack of cache memory which yer hard drive has so thats bottle neck A and and B writing speeds are often a lot slower ...specs dont always portray reality and device quality is a biggie.

General reply....
Why hard drive...convenience, fast boot, mid term storage, piles of on tap software. I had to get a replacement 160GB recently but those SSD looked sooo tempting. Market wise the tradidtional hardrives are becomeing mainly 500GB + devices and the smaller ones are getting scarce except for laptops.

Lifespan..I got nearly 9 years of daily use from a maxtor 80GB...not bad...hope the SSD are as good and yes no moving parts/fragmentation is a big plus point. Beware apparently sandisk have gone for slower tech on their cheaper devices but still give the faster specs for them....

No bias here..have run without HDD in the past and as a stop gap... used multisession CD and flash stick on usb 1.1!...i normally float fully in ram with linux which i think the system SHOULD be separated from yer storage...it makes sense for various reasons. hell i even ran XP from an SD card in a slot on a netbook for a while even though it had its own drive....being able to turn off those teeny HDD in battery equipment is a big bonus.... yer average movie will fit in ram for example for a one off viewing Smile

mike
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:14    Post subject:  

Correct me if I am wrong. But isn't there an alternative to removing the hard drive in using power management to specify how long the hard drive stays active before spinning down and conserving power?
I cannot remember if it is a BIOS setting though.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:17    Post subject:  

hdparm -S 12 /dev/sda will spin down a drive after a minute of non use even if mounted...I use it and have it in rc.local. Mskes it quiet and save a bit of juice. Note if you have swap in use that will spin it up again.

mike
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:32    Post subject:  

Thank you mikeb,

I added that to my rc.local file and then added another line for my second hard drive edited to specify it of course.
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:16    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
I used a CF card like this for a while.
If all loads to ram then once running its fine. Any system still fully or partially running from the flash will tend to have lagginess when starting apps for example. Windows suffered the most in this respect.
With yer standard SD or CF flash there is a lack of cache memory which yer hard drive has so thats bottle neck A and and B writing speeds are often a lot slower ...specs dont always portray reality and device quality is a biggie.

Yep i will not have the speed of my Barracuda. But i want only to boot Puppy (or other Linux) without CD on this old machine. I will use still frugal mode on SD/CF cards. Those adapters cost max. $15. I've tried to find second-hand hd (ATA-66/100/133) but without success. Family and friends have only disk with SATA interface.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:59    Post subject:  

Hmm not sure where you are but there are piles of refurbished pata drives around on ebay and amazon...I did actually find a new sealed PATA 160GB from amazon....but the refurbs go cheap and have some form of warrenty.

You can find SATA to IDE adapters at a similar price to a SD to IDE ... they are like $1-4 if you have no predujices against buying from say hong kong. After all if you buy locally you are getting EXACTYLY the same board but with a middlemans cut.

mike
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: