Search for bold text in Bash?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
slavvo67

Search for bold text in Bash?

#1 Post by slavvo67 »

Is there any way to search in bash (maybe grep or sed?) for text that would be bold in say a word document, ABI Word document or maybe Libre or Open Office documents? What I'm really looking to do is identify bold text and copy the text and page # to a new file. Basically, saving me the time of creating a directory on a 200+ page document.

L18L

Re: Search for bold text in Bash?

#2 Post by L18L »

slavvo67 wrote:Is there any way to search in bash (maybe grep or sed?) for text that would be bold in say a word document, ABI Word document or maybe Libre or Open Office documents? What I'm really looking to do is identify bold text and copy the text and page # to a new file. Basically, saving me the time of creating a directory on a 200+ page document.
created an abiword text file slavvo67.abw containing
a bold text
and made bold the word bold

Open the the abw file in text editor geany and you will see how abiword is storing "bold". Then you might use grep.

Code: Select all

# grep font-weight:bold slavvo67.abw
answered:

Code: Select all

<p style="Normal" xid="2"><c>a </c><c props="font-weight:bold">bold</c><c> word</c></p>
#
There is a program that removes all tags elsewhere or just use sed.....

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

L18L

Thanks. That was a step in the right direction!

I chopped out the other stuff with sed:

sed -e 's/.*>\(.*\)<.*/\1/'