XOrg only shows black screen with a cross "X" mouse pointer

Please post any bugs you have found
CandyManJ

XOrg only shows black screen with a cross "X" mouse pointer

#1 Post by CandyManJ »

Hi,

So I have installed Puppy Linux today and I was using the Update Manager to update packages (Why do we have to do them one by one by the way?!), and as I was updating I suddenly couldn't start any application, if I click on an app icon nothing happens, however the applications already open such as a Firefox window stayed open and usable. I rebooted the system and then XOrg no longer works, it shows a black screen with a movable mouse pointer that has the shape of an "X". I have tried using xorgwizard, but it didn't work (Tried VESA too), I have also tried removing radeon module, but that also didn't fix it.

Neither dmesg nor xorg log show any error.

I have a laptop with AMD Mobility HD Radeon 5650. Why isn't there a way in Puppy to manage packages through CLI? Why only through GUI? I mean its best suitable for such situations, and also what if someone wanted to SSH to his server which has Puppy and wanted to install a package on it?

Edit: Slacko64 6.3

Thanks.
Last edited by CandyManJ on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

Re: XOrg only shows black screen with a cross "X" mouse pointer

#2 Post by musher0 »

CandyManJ wrote:Hi,

So I have installed Puppy Linux today and I was using the Update Manager to update packages (Why do we have to do them one by one by the way?!), and as I was updating I suddenly couldn't start any application, if I click on an app icon nothing happens, however the applications already open such as a Firefox window stayed open and usable. I rebooted the system and then XOrg no longer works, it shows a black screen with a movable mouse pointer that has the shape of an "X". I have tried using xorgwizard, but it didn't work (Tried VESA too), I have also tried removing radeon module, but that also didn't fix it.

Neither dmesg nor xorg log show any error.

I have a laptop with AMD Mobility HD Radeon 5650. Why isn't there a way in Puppy to manage packages through CLI? Why only through GUI? I mean its best suitable for such situations, and also what if someone wanted to SSH to his server which has Puppy and wanted to install a package on it?

Thanks.
Hello CandyManj.

Welcome to the kennels! I hope you will have a pleasant experience on this
forum!

I don't have the answer to your question. But I am sure some other
member will chime in shortly to help you.

However, it is customary on this board to mention the breed (e.g. TahrPup,
Slacko, etc.) and version (e.g. 5.7.1, 6.0.4, etc.) of your Puppy so people
can give you more focused answers.

You have valid points about the possible need for a CLI version of the Puppy
Package Manager (PPM) and ftp access from CLI.

As to the size and form of the upgrade packages, they are left to the
individual Puppy developer.

Another thing we'd need to know, please, is which package you installed
that messed up your GUI?

In Puppy, almost all error messages are logged in file /tmp/xerrs.log.

Finally, to get back to Xorg after an event like this, we usually type
< xorgwizard > at the initial black console and follow the prompts.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

He already tried xorgwizar, and you've just knocked him off the list of unanswered posts.
Anyway, isn't it more likely a problem with a corrupted .xinitrc or window manager configuration?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

My puppy knowledge is getting rusty, but unless you want to just reinstall puppy, for starters you probably need to try things like running `fixmenus`, `xwin rxvt`, and `jwm -p` (Have I remembered that last one right?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

CandyManJ

#5 Post by CandyManJ »

disciple wrote:My puppy knowledge is getting rusty, but unless you want to just reinstall puppy, for starters you probably need to try things like running `fixmenus`, `xwin rxvt`, and `jwm -p` (Have I remembered that last one right?
None of those commands worked, the XOrg log shows errors regarding xkb (xkbcomp) "Error interpreting include file" pc"

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Slacko64 6.3
How is it installed?
Frugal or full?

If frugal what type save?
Save file or save folder?

Installed on what device?

Is it booted by a boot loader?
If yes.
Which one?

That update feature of Slacko was a good idea, but it gets stuff from Slackware repository and the stuff was compiled for Slackware.
Most of the time that is not an issue.
However, you have seen what can happen if it is an issue.

Now you know why it only offers updates one at a time. Hopefully, if one goes bad, you will know what it was.

The developer of Slacko really needs to look at this update feature. I do not think it is really working the way he wants it to.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

CandyManJ

#7 Post by CandyManJ »

bigpup wrote:
Slacko64 6.3
How is it installed?
Frugal or full?

If frugal what type save?
Save file or save folder?

Installed on what device?

Is it booted by a boot loader?
If yes.
Which one?

That update feature of Slacko was a good idea, but it gets stuff from Slackware repository and the stuff was compiled for Slackware.
Most of the time that is not an issue.
However, you have seen what can happen if it is an issue.

Now you know why it only offers updates one at a time. Hopefully, if one goes bad, you will know what it was.

The developer of Slacko really needs to look at this update feature. I do not think it is really working the way he wants it to.
Full install on a laptop (Core i7), I am using Grub4DOS bootloader which was installed by Puppy itself.

I guess the main problem is PPM not working in CLI, and there is no way to manage packages through CLI except manually, I could have just reinstalled XOrg through CLI and any misconfigurations would be gone, but I can't do that, and I am not actually going to do it manually because we all know it would be a chaos.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

One of the problems with a "full" install is that any file changes are saved immediately
to hard drive and will over-write all files, even system files. :(

The frugal install method creates a container that contains all file changes and
overlays the changes onto the file system after the system boots.

One of the advantages of the frugal install is that you can easily make a backup of the
container and simply replace it if something goes wrong.

Another advantage of the frugal install is that you can choose the option to save your
changes or not, I believe it defaults to not saving (might be wrong here) if something
goes wrong and you cannot use keyboard or mouse.

Unless there are reasons you are trying to save the current install it might be better
to start over using a frugal install.

Some things to consider for an install http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

And a little from the end of the thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=168

CandyManJ

#9 Post by CandyManJ »

perdido wrote:One of the problems with a "full" install is that any file changes are saved immediately
to hard drive and will over-write all files, even system files. :(

The frugal install method creates a container that contains all file changes and
overlays the changes onto the file system after the system boots.

One of the advantages of the frugal install is that you can easily make a backup of the
container and simply replace it if something goes wrong.

Another advantage of the frugal install is that you can choose the option to save your
changes or not, I believe it defaults to not saving (might be wrong here) if something
goes wrong and you cannot use keyboard or mouse.

Unless there are reasons you are trying to save the current install it might be better
to start over using a frugal install.

Some things to consider for an install http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

And a little from the end of the thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=168

Ok, I have reinstalled Slacko64 as Frugal installed and started updating packages, the same problem occured again. The package I was attempting to update is libX11, exactly after updating it, I can no more start any applications, though the ones already open stay open, that was how I rebooted, using rxvt which I had started earlier.

Too bad... I actually really liked the concept of Puppy Linux how you got everything in 200MB, and how the devs didnt forget about any feature, then this happened.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

If you must update, continue from here.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

CandyManJ

#11 Post by CandyManJ »

Semme wrote:If you must update, continue from here.
Nah, its just not worth it, I mean even if I fix this problem by spending so much time on it, other similar problems in the future would happen and their fixing would also be difficult, that is all because of the package manager being so limited, if we can even consider it as a package manager and not just a GUI software installer (Like Synaptics and similar.)

I really liked Puppy Linux, I really felt comfortable for the interface and the existence of all features and applications I would ever need, but I am not actually going to take the risk to wait for another problem to happen, since I am using my laptop for work.

I would return to Puppy Linux (Slacko) once there is a good stable package manager that works in CLI.

Edit: Maybe I will be trying Tahrpup

8Geee

#12 Post by 8Geee »

After all these posts, we find that the REAL problem is the X11 update, which was pointed out after you discovered it. Now that we offer a solution, you don't want it. I'd almost guarantee that the X11 file order is the culprit. A simple reversing the download-order will keep Puppy from breaking. And not for nothing, there is a 2nd Slacko update that will totally bork Puppy if an old version of a file is not removed when doing the update (this is a Slackware problem, not a Puppy problem).

Some others keep track and offer pre-packaged solutions, which is a great help.
For what little its worth by now, this particular version of Slacko5.7 is fully patched with all updates as of March 2017 (3 years worth). Printing and browser work nicely. Its nearly turn-key.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Don't think Barry pulled the name Quirky out of a hat.

Pup's a fantastic rescue disk, though a whole `nother animal if you wanna run it day to day.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

Puppy is fantastic if you want to run it day to day - just not if you want prepackaged versions of every possible software, and constant updates.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

Puppy is a great distro, its not the end-all-be-all that some OS's try hard to be. If the word compromise is still in one's dictionary, Puppy is a great compromise. Still, the end-user determines whats added and whats removed. Like all packaged distros Linux or otherwise, the end-user needs to improve "default" settings to their own taste, and that includes any browser supplied.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

No one believes in the simple rule.

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:

Updating, just to update, is trying to fix something that does not need fixing.

I just got a very new computer.

The only update I needed was the driver for the WIFI.
The version of Puppy, I was using, did not have the driver.
Why?
Because hard to have a driver for hardware that was not in existence when the Puppy version was developed.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Maybe I will be trying Tahrpup
Tahrpups update feature is controlled by the developer of Tahrpup.
He only puts stuff in it that actually fixes something or adds a needed feature.
YaPI(any iso installer)

CandyManJ

#18 Post by CandyManJ »

bigpup wrote:No one believes in the simple rule.

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:

Updating, just to update, is trying to fix something that does not need fixing.

I just got a very new computer.

The only update I needed was the driver for the WIFI.
The version of Puppy, I was using, did not have the driver.
Why?
Because hard to have a driver for hardware that was not in existence when the Puppy version was developed.
But what if you want more features? Or better support for certain hardware?

CandyManJ

#19 Post by CandyManJ »

8Geee wrote:After all these posts, we find that the REAL problem is the X11 update, which was pointed out after you discovered it. Now that we offer a solution, you don't want it. I'd almost guarantee that the X11 file order is the culprit. A simple reversing the download-order will keep Puppy from breaking. And not for nothing, there is a 2nd Slacko update that will totally bork Puppy if an old version of a file is not removed when doing the update (this is a Slackware problem, not a Puppy problem).

Some others keep track and offer pre-packaged solutions, which is a great help.
For what little its worth by now, this particular version of Slacko5.7 is fully patched with all updates as of March 2017 (3 years worth). Printing and browser work nicely. Its nearly turn-key.

Regards
8Geee
Today it is X11, tomorrow its something else.

CandyManJ

#20 Post by CandyManJ »

8Geee wrote:Puppy is a great distro, its not the end-all-be-all that some OS's try hard to be. If the word compromise is still in one's dictionary, Puppy is a great compromise. Still, the end-user determines whats added and whats removed. Like all packaged distros Linux or otherwise, the end-user needs to improve "default" settings to their own taste, and that includes any browser supplied.

Regards
8Geee
What about security updates that fix vulnerabilities?

That is what I mean:
realwigums wrote:firefox (or any browser for that matter)is THE largest security problem for anyone regardless of OS. i always end up being the maintainer for firefox packages on whatever distro project i happen to be working on.

firefox issues its security and bug fixes as a new version of firefox.

my point being is that yes you do NEED to update to the latest firefox if you want to be secure
anything prior to the current firefox version is mostly riddled with holes and security issues.

a great resource for known security issues is the slackware security mailing list.

http://www.slackware.com/lists/

and here is an URL that you can look through and see all the firefox issues over the years. like i said when they issue a new version its usually a security issue

http://www.slackware.com/security/

also mozillas firefox security advisories
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/