Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 02:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
False wifi connection on netbook HP Mini with Atheros AR9285
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 17:55    Post subject:  False wifi connection on netbook HP Mini with Atheros AR9285  

Hi guys, I am pretty new to this forum and to Linux as well.

Therefore I am looking for your expert advice on how to get a functional wifi connection on my HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook with Puppy Linux. The wifi board is using the Atheros AR9285. I have tried several Puppy distros from an usb stick: Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0”, but in reality the browser didn't connect to any site – message “address not found”. I have played with the available wizards to no avail. However at one of the “installs” of Slacko the wifi connection was working all right, but on another “install” it was not working, the same was with standard LuPu 5.28.
No success either with LuPu Plus or 3HD which incorporate other drivers and kernel.

The lan eth0 connection was giving good internet on all distros tested, so I do not suspect the Linux “install”.

I have performed also further tests from the usb stick with the latest Ubuntu and Easy Peasy and got the same unsatisfactory result with wifi false connection.

However I have faced no connection problem if using an older netbook HP Compaq Mini 702EA with Boadcom wifi, everything is working perfectly.

I have performed various searches on this forum, but I did not find the right solution. To my opinion, this appears to be a driver problem, but I have no idea on how to solve it.
This is why I am asking for help from the experienced people on this forum, hopefully there is a good working solution.

Thank you!

P.S. I've forgotten to mention that the wifi board is working good in Windows 7.

Last edited by axelpuppy on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 18:57; edited 1 time in total
r4dic4l

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 18:31    Post subject:  

I personally have had great success with Frisbee network manager.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee
Good luck Very Happy
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 18:48    Post subject:  

r4dic4l wrote:
I personally have had great success with Frisbee network manager.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee
Good luck Very Happy

Thank you r4dic4l, but I have used it on the distros where it was available. I have played with all the connection managers and wizards, no success though.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 21:54    Post subject:  

Quote:
Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0”

Could be you are not completing the setup process required for wireless.
Pick a version of Puppy that it tried to work on and follow this guide.
Guide for setting up wireless connection:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
Be sure you load the connection profile you setup.
If you get to a step that does not work, be specific about what you do and what you see.

cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 06:26    Post subject:  

Does F12 or Fn F12 turn on the wireless.

Might be just that.

Chris.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 06:32    Post subject:  

Puppy goes for the strongest signal, which may not be yours.
You need to restrict access to your own wifi.

axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 07:55    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0”

Could be you are not completing the setup process required for wireless.
Pick a version of Puppy that it tried to work on and follow this guide.
Guide for setting up wireless connection:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
Be sure you load the connection profile you setup.
If you get to a step that does not work, be specific about what you do and what you see.

Thank you bigpup, I will do the set-up following the recommended guide and report back to this forum if things will not go OK.

On the other hand, I recall the Lucid Puppy was the first to try and I think it was working OK, but not anymore for the following Precise Puppy.

I recall that I have read somewhere that it might happen at shut-down that the USB booted Puppy might save some files on the Windows computer and not on the Linux-boot USB stick and this separate saved data being read at the next boot preventing the following Linux boots to work properly. It is to state that during my tests I have always set a partition on the boot USB stick for Linux to save the session information, so if something was saved to the HDD, this was without my knowledge.

Therefore the question is where to look on the Windows machine HDD for such "parasitic" data in order to delete it?

Another question is how to find out that the wifi driver is really missing?

Thank you!
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 07:58    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Does F12 or Fn F12 turn on the wireless.

Might be just that.

Chris.

Thank you for the hint cthisbear, unfortunately this is not the case. I have booted Windows, checked the wifi and then booted again with USB Puppy without touching F12.
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 08:04    Post subject:  

Burn_IT wrote:
Puppy goes for the strongest signal, which may not be yours.
You need to restrict access to your own wifi.

Burn_IT, thank you, but I have chosen the right SSID myself from the scanned list. I cannot imagine that Puppy is going behing my back and is choosing another wifi network than the one that I have set it up to.

Nevertheless, how can I restrict access to my own wifi? I have never heared of such a thing even in the Windows context. Thank you!
Barkin

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 08:36    Post subject:  

axelpuppy wrote:
... how can I restrict access to my own wifi?

In Frisbee you can create profiles for the wi-fi routers you want to connect to in order of preference ... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=757455#757455

In the router profile in Frisbee you store the "key/password" if the Wi-Fi is encrypted.
If the wi-fi link is encrypted* you won't be able to connect without a "key/password".

(* and it should be, otherwise you are broadcasting your business to your neighbourhood).
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 08:58    Post subject:  

Bigpup, with Lucid lupu-528.005 booted from the USB stick I have redone several times the wifi set-up following that guide to the letter and still no success. The icon on the task bar shows "Active interfaces wlan0 Rx:3KB, Tx:7KB" but when trying to download a browser I get the message "Error: Can't download. Please connect to the internet."
At this point I have connected the eth0 and done the lan set-up all right to download the FF browser. Of course no change to the fake wlan0.

I have also performed a check on all the installed packages and the report is OK.

What else can I try, any idea please?

P.S. Not very accurate that counter on the taskbar showing the joint traffic on wlan0 and eth0: after downloading the FF it has bearly changed from the previous state to Rx:3KB, Tx:8KB. How can that be with no increase on the Rx side?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 09:16    Post subject:  

Are you 100% on the wifi card or is it an external one.
My experience of HP and google searches seem to suggest it would be using broadcom which would entail the b43 or wl driver and the usual patience since HP have a knack of making wifi on linux a PITA.

mike
axelpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 09:55    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Are you 100% on the wifi card or is it an external one.
My experience of HP and google searches seem to suggest it would be using broadcom which would entail the b43 or wl driver and the usual patience since HP have a knack of making wifi on linux a PITA.

mike

Hi mikeb, thank you for your reply.

It is the internal wifi pci card, which on my HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook is using the Atheros Communications AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express). When booting with Puppy, the Dougal's Network Wizard is recognizing it as wlan0 and it is loading the ath9k module. Ath9k seems to designate the wireless "n" standard, but I hope that this ath9k ("n") profile is covering also the "b/g" wifi standards.

I know that earlier HP netbooks were using the broadcom wireless boards, which I have tested and work OK on a Compaq Mini 702 (=HP Mini 110c-1000). But I need now to have my atheros wifi up and running with this HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook of mine.
Thank you!
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
However at one of the “installs” of Slacko the wifi connection was working all right, but on another “install” it was not working, the same was with standard LuPu 5.28.

hmm and for reasons unknown. So not easily reproduceable.

As for broadcom just wanted to verify the wind was not being chased Very Happy

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1728235
http://askubuntu.com/questions/410438/how-do-i-get-the-ath9k-driver-of-backports-3-12-8-installed-on-xubuntu-13-10
do seem to suggest there may be an improved driver out there though your occasional sucess may suggest other reasons.

Not my favourite option but how does ndiswrapper behave (needs the XP driver) ?

mike
fredk661682

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:14    Post subject:  

You may try this : https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-use-traceroute-and-mtr-to-diagnose-network-issues
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: