So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
starhawk

So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.

#1 Post by starhawk »

OK. So I discovered a little while ago that my laptop would print a picture from Chromium, but not a whole webpage. Somehow Firefox works for the webpage (didn't test individual pictures, tho).

Here's the relevant data...
X-Slacko 1.1
Chromium 31 (specifically, the Chromium31+Pepper dotPET on this forum)
Firefox 24 (built into X-Slacko)
CUPS 1.4.8 (built into X-Slacko)
HPLIPLITE 3.13.11 (specifically, the hplip_print-3.13.11 package from one of rcrsn51's several printer threads)
Printer is an HP OfficeJet 7410

With a picture on its own webpage (eg www.whatever.com/picture.jpg) within Chromium, CUPS will print the image although the status of the job, were I to bring up localhost:631 in a browser and navigate to the page for the printer, would read something to the effect of "cannot find the system bus" which I think is rather odd.

With a full webpage within Chrome, CUPS will put that error in the status bin and refuse utterly to print absolutely anything.

Yet with Firefox... I have no problems printing entire webpages. (I did not test the printing of individual images!)

What the heck...? and how do I fix it?

jrb

Re: So CUPS will print webpages from FF but not Chromium. Great.

#2 Post by jrb »

starhawk wrote:What the heck...? and how do I fix it?
Do what I did, try a different chromium build. I had the same problem in Slacko5.7.0 but switched over to peebees chromium-33.0.1750.117-lx.sfs. There are three updated chromiums in that same directory. When I get some time I'll try and see if they also print.

Good Luck, J

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Chromium 33 makes it so that you absolutely must use the "new style" Chrome/ium New Tab Page... that I absolutely loathe. That's a dealbreaker for me. I like the "old style" New Tab Page and I'm sticking with it as long as I can.

FWIW --

The "old style" New Tab Page has two separate, switchable "modes" -- a page that displays your Apps, and a page that displays your most recently-visited sites. It also has a bar at the bottom that lets you access your tab history (to a degree), your tabs on Other Chrome/ium Devices, and the Chrome Store.

The "new style" New Tab Page combines those pages into one, adds a redundant-yet-impossible-to-miss search bar with no actual purpose (except for a rather meager excuse to display the Google name prominently), relegates the tab-history and tabs-on-other-devices buttons to menu entries in the Options Menu, and relegates the Chrome Store access to an unnecessary button on my Bookmarks Bar. Ugh, no thanks.

I suppose I'll have to look for a Chrome 32 dotPET, since my feeble attempts at adding Flash (with Adobe's version, actually) to Chromium-Without-Flash have always met with downright nasty results... no, it doesn't break the browser, but it results in Flash playback that is seizure-inducing because the colors go all to #$@!^$#%^!! -- it looks as if you're trying to watch a DVD that's been scratched badly all over so that there's no intelligible content, just a mangled display of Technicolor LSD puking all over the playback area.

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

starhawk wrote:Chromium 33 makes it so that you absolutely must use the "new style" Chrome/ium New Tab Page... that I absolutely loathe. That's a dealbreaker for me. I like the "old style" New Tab Page and I'm sticking with it as long as I can.
I hadn't even noticed. Some time ago I built my own html page of my favourite links and I use that as my home page. I used Seamonkeys editor to build it. I took a quick look at Chromium's new tab features early on and didn't like it as much as what I have so haven't bothered with it since.

Cheers, J