New Life For Older Puppys

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
saintless

#46 Post by saintless »

mikeb wrote:example line... initrd has the puppy partition mounted where main sfs is...
MORESFS="`ls -r /mnt/data/*_${PUPPYVERSION}.sfs | grep -v "pup_" | cut -c 11- | tr "\n" " "`"

i changed the clean up from sed to cut but its doing the same thing.
If you want subfolder just insert the variable in the /mnt/data.... path.
Thank you, Mike.
Having this information gives me good starting point and saves me a lot of testing. I will try to make separate universal working puppy kernel module.

Toni

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

No problem toni ... as I have done for others its a case of code snipets and techniques since more than likely they would be applied in different pups to the ones I experimented with ... I brought them to life using a lightning strike at midnight in the time honoured manner..

mike

mcewanw

Re: New Life For Older Puppy's

#48 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: Puppy is a modular system and it is disadvantage it can load only one module in /puppy folder on boot (or second module with drivers only if I do not mistake). I think Jemimah included option for second module loaded on boot in Saluki but in general puppy can load only one module on boot.

If puppy keeps the main system without kernel in one module and has second module with kernel only it will become much more flexible. Then the user can choose the kernel that works best for the hardware without changing the puppy version.
I'm not sure how relevant zdrv is to your discussion, but the following thread seemed at least partly related:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80766
github mcewanw

saintless

#49 Post by saintless »

Thank you, William. I know Jemimah also included option to load one more module in Saluki and Mavrothal worked in the same direction here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=15
I will see what I can do with Mike's tips and posts on this subject.

Toni