Precise Puppy won't run in Asus FM2A85-V Pro

Booting, installing, newbie
dianedebuda

Precise Puppy won't run in Asus FM2A85-V Pro

#1 Post by dianedebuda »

No Linux experience at all. Trying to run Puppy precise 5.7.1 from Easy2Boot flashdrive. Starts up ok on older box, but on new FM2A85-V Pro (APU A10 6800K, 16 GB mem), just get screen with tiny multicolored dots on bottom 1/2 and top 1/4 of screen with black in between. Tried F2, Puppy pfix=nox and get same result. Probably a video driver thingy, but haven't a clue where to start.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Diane, welcome.

When you booted puppy pfix=ram, did you know to type xorgwizard?

This'll give you the opportunity to load a few values in the hope of gaining the desktop.

If you know your card's a Nvidia, pls state so.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Probably is graphics driver issue.

See if it will work with a basic generic universal driver.

Vesa.

Try this:
At the boot screen hit F2.
Add the command puppy pfix=nox
This will get you to a prompt.
Type xorgwizard at the prompt.
Select the vesa driver.
set resolution.
Select resolution you know should work.
run test to see if it works.
finish xorgwizard.
back at prompt.
Type xwin
should see desktop.

If this works, we can figure out a better driver, specific to the graphics hardware.

You will need to be using a PAE version, of any Puppy, to see and use all 16GB of memory.

Slacko Puppy 5.6 may work better for this hardware.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pupp ... .6-PAE.iso
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dianedebuda

#4 Post by dianedebuda »

Do not get to prompt. About 5 lines of loading/Done are shown, screen is cleared and I'm presented with the mess. No graphics card per se; APU has graphics built in.

Will look at Slacko Puppy. At this point, all I'm wanting from Puppy is Windows-like File Explorer and Partition Wizard-like Partition manager.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Slacko? Sure. Try it. In fact, if you only want those things, 528 might suffice..

:oops: Oop's.. missed you mentioned *FLASH* drive. H̶o̶w̶'̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶?̶

Nevermind >> Not familiar with this one.

Personally, I don't favor go-betweens..

dianedebuda

#6 Post by dianedebuda »

Same problem with slacko. Last thing I see with both is "Loading Kernal Modules..."

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Well then, there's a weak link in the chain. Which isos have you been successful with?

dianedebuda

#8 Post by dianedebuda »

These are the only 2 that I've tried. Wanted something small & fast for the above mentioned File Explorer & Partition Manager functionality as part of a bootable toolbox. Like I said before, Puppy does load on an older computer using the Easy2Boot. If you're meaning non-Linux isos, Acronis and Partition Wizard work with Easy2Boot on this Asus.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Maybe try RIP. Small, fast, and runs as root. Then again, your ride might be too new..

fredk661682

#10 Post by fredk661682 »

If you are not sure about Easy2Boot, you may try other boot installer, like Universal installer or Bootflash installer.

dianedebuda

#11 Post by dianedebuda »

I'm fine with Easy2Boot. It's Linux that's the mystery to me. Googled a bit and it looks like Mint 16 might work with the A10-6800K, but I want a flashdrive bootable Linux. Don't *think* Mint qualifies, but dunno for sure.

fredk661682

#12 Post by fredk661682 »

Universal usb installer make mint bootable flashdrive.
Maybe ubuntu ? : http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1402 ... 306286SO61

Les Kerf

#13 Post by Les Kerf »

dianedebuda wrote:I'm fine with Easy2Boot. It's Linux that's the mystery to me. Googled a bit and it looks like Mint 16 might work with the A10-6800K, but I want a flashdrive bootable Linux. Don't *think* Mint qualifies, but dunno for sure.
Linux Mint distros newer than 13.(?) can be installed on a thumb drive using the dd command.

Boot Puppy on the older box, obtain your Mint 16 iso and copy it to /tmp.

Insert the thumb drive, then from a console type the command:

dd if=<Mint-16.iso> of=/dev/sdx

Replace x with the letter of your thumb drive as it shows up on the icon. Do not type the arrows (less-than, greater-than), I typed them to indicate where you should type the name of your iso.

On MY laptop right now I would type:

dd if=linuxmint14.1.iso of=/dev/sdb

I have done this and it worked for me. The command line is case sensitive in Linux so you must type it exactly.
Les

dianedebuda

#14 Post by dianedebuda »

FWIW, I checked on another mb, Asus FM2A85-M Pro with an older Trinity APU and still get same results.

On a happier note, I already had the latest Mint Cinnamon on the Easy2Boot flashdrive because I was planning to install it later on another box. So I attempted to use it as a bootable o/s, like Puppy. Success! I thought it had to be installed on hdd. GParted is there & I like the file display much better than the native filer on Puppy. Thought I read that there was supposed to be an alternative, thunar, for Puppy that had a navigation pane & was more XP-like. Will probably still want to use Puppy for the older, slower machines, so will have to figure that out as well as getting GParted. But at least I have something for the new boxes. Thank you for suggestions - I wouldn't have thought to try Mint out as a bootable myself.

Edit: I'd mark this Solved if I could find the button...
Also, someone, probably a moderator, added the description "from Easy2Boot flashdrive", but I don't think that's correct. Looks like this version of Puppy just won't run on this mb.

dianedebuda

#15 Post by dianedebuda »

FatDog64-630rc2 WORKS on these motherboards - using Easy2Boot! :-)