MX 16 experimental 1.3 GB ISO

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zagreb999

MX 16 experimental 1.3 GB ISO

#1 Post by zagreb999 »

Puppy linux world now is richer for new remaster of
MX16 Linux. XFCE 4.12 , full LZ4 support...
It is wonderful, fast...

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... DVpT2p2Wm8

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Hi zagreb !

Seems you`re in Love....

Will give it a Try ! Actione " Youth Research " .

Greetings
Last edited by backi on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

MX16 LINUX

#3 Post by zagreb999 »

Hi backi

You have it, it is made
by Fred

It is very good, useful, because of it it is post here
to be more visible....

backi

#4 Post by backi »

One Question ........what did you modify ? Or is it the same as fred`s ?

mikeslr

Post subject

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi zagreb999,

Is this anyway different than the ISO fredx181 created? What modifications did you add?

I know you're excited about this "Dog" -- I am also. And I know that fred doesn't have a "thin skin". But I think it important in a community that everyone give "credit when credit is due". We've seen too often how even inadvertent slights can fracture the good will and trust among members which must exist if a community is to survive. Your first post should clearly acknowledge fred's contribution if there was one.

I've only "tested" the ISO fred provided. But, unless the one on your google-drive is substantially different, the following information should apply to it as well.

Mx-16 is the combined effort of the Mepis and AntiX communities, created from debian Jessie (Long Term Support thru 2021). The Mepis community prides itself in creating a distro "which just works". I've found that to be the case for "Mx-16Dog". On my Acer Aspire One D270 which uses a peculiar graphics card that many other Linuxes --including Xenialpup-- have difficulty with, Mx-16Dog "just worked". Booting from a USB-key when my wife wasn't home, her Toshiba Satellite L755 "just worked". Depending on the Linux --including most Puppies-- this computer either doesn't have sound, wifi, and occasionally a keyboard.

It even provided a responsive OS on my "poor" Thinkpad T42. To boot this computer i had to "force pae", by using this kernel argument:

kernel /mx16dog/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/mx16dog/ forcepae changes=EXIT:/mx16dog/live/

Emphasis supplied, not actually on the kernel line.

The only thing I couldn't test on the Thinkpad was sound. It survived being knocked off a table by my cat, but has since been mute.

I like the menu, less busy than "DebianDog Standard". And for anyone who doesn't know, having the "taskbar" on the left edge is a setting you can change.

Just wish there was a 64-bit version. As a 32-bit OS, current versions of Chromium & Clones are no longer supported. It might be worthwhile to see if (fred's?) Slimjet squashfs will function. Or Opera.

I've decided to do a frugal install to Dell Latitude E6400 to explore its possibilities further. Any suggestions as to what to test?

mikesLr

zagreb999

ANTIX MX 16 LINUX

#6 Post by zagreb999 »

IT IS THE SAME OF FRED...
THE BEST ANTIX MX 16 LINUX
OS EVER MADE...
Attachments
snapshot2.jpeg
screen2
(219.54 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
snapshot1.jpeg
screen1
(192.39 KiB) Downloaded 575 times

belham2

Re: Post subject

#7 Post by belham2 »

mikeslr wrote:
Just wish there was a 64-bit version.

mikesLr

I know there are reasons to kill off the 32-bit world, but still....it is depressing, especially when Google just unilaterally refused to keep doing a browser, and Firefox is rumbling about this now. Ugh... :(

mikeslr

SFS tools

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi zagreb999 & all,

How would you go about adding sfs tools to Mx16? You know, Apt2sfs, sfs-load, sfs-portable, that stuff.

As far as I know, they are all bash-scripts. So, it may be as simple as installing debs which are in one of the various DebianDog repos. But my knowledge of the DebianDogs is sparse. Mx16 is nice, but without those tools it really hasn't been "Puppyfied". Great for a modern computer. Less so for an old resource-challenged one. And the ability to create, load and unload squashfiles --employ a "merged file system"-- makes exploring what alien-to-Mx16 applications can be added more difficult.

And is there a pet-to-deb application. You may recall that I run several applications as "Program Folders": applications wholly contained in a folder outside of the system, linked to the system by a script "on the path" with a /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop file to create a menu entry. These, however, can be started by browsing to then clicking their executable. Some worked, some didn't --probably missing a lib or 2. But it would be handy if I could pet2deb the pets I already have to create menu entries.

Last thought, for now. :) What I really like about Mx16 is Xfce and especially Whisker Menu. It is probably possible --'though a big job-- to retro-fit DebianDog64 Jessie or XenialDog64 with them. But a desktop-switcher (without exiting and restarting X from the command line) isn't something Ubuntu or debian seem to have considered. Not particularly important once the retro-fit is completed, but certainly an ability I'd want to have while in development.

mikesLr

belham2

Re: SFS tools

#9 Post by belham2 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi zagreb999 & all,

How would you go about adding sfs tools to Mx16? You know, Apt2sfs, sfs-load, sfs-portable, that stuff.

As far as I know, they are all bash-scripts. So, it may be as simple as installing debs which are in one of the various DebianDog repos. But my knowledge of the DebianDogs is sparse. Mx16 is nice, but without those tools it really hasn't been "Puppyfied". Great for a modern computer. Less so for an old resource-challenged one. And the ability to create, load and unload squashfiles --employ a "merged file system"-- makes exploring what alien-to-Mx16 applications can be added more difficult.

And is there a pet-to-deb application. You may recall that I run several applications as "Program Folders": applications wholly contained in a folder outside of the system, linked to the system by a script "on the path" with a /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop file to create a menu entry. These, however, can be started by browsing to then clicking their executable. Some worked, some didn't --probably missing a lib or 2. But it would be handy if I could pet2deb the pets I already have to create menu entries.

Last thought, for now. :) What I really like about Mx16 is Xfce and especially Whisker Menu. It is probably possible --'though a big job-- to retro-fit DebianDog64 Jessie or XenialDog64 with them. But a desktop-switcher (without exiting and restarting X from the command line) isn't something Ubuntu or debian seem to have considered. Not particularly important once the retro-fit is completed, but certainly an ability I'd want to have while in development.

mikesLr

Hi MikeSLR,

Fred had put in XFCE w/ Whisker menu for his excellent DebianDog Jessie 32-bit. In fact, I still have it on a USB stick, on an old dog-slow Intel Atom HP laptop, and I am staring at it & using it right now for ideas and help with a dpup-stretch build I did. . You ought to look at it, I don't think getting in DebianDog64 Jessie would be as hard as you think it is. The bluerint/map is there :wink:

mikeslr

Post Subject

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Actually belham2,

Assuming re-inventing the wheel isn't an objective, there's a better way if any of us could do what fred does or something like it. Which, not to oversimplify, and I might be entirely wrong, just guessing :!: :!: how I would do it if I knew how to get from Point A to Point B:

Start with either Xubuntu or DebianLiveCD-Xfce*. Remaster initrd to support porteus boot. Add modules as necessary to enable "Dog's" Puppy-like features.

But do either Xubuntu or DebianLive support Unionfs or Aufs? I don't think that capability has to be built into the kernel. But, again, I'm just guessing.

Before thinking about the above approach, and even before suggesting it was a big job, I used Ubuntu's repository search page to see what dependencies both xfce and whisker menu had. [Still thinking what I'd have to do running a Puppy. Maybe easier if Xfce could be added via syaptic/apt. Not even sure it would be necessary to add repos to synaptic].

A desktop-window manager-switcher isn't to be had. May be a peculiarly Puppy innovation.

JustLightHouse can be run using several window managers. They are available as SFSes which can be downloaded individually. It may be possible to convert the xfce.sfs to an xfce.squashfs for use under Jessie/XenialDog64. Or dissemble it to examine. I don't recall if it had a window-manager-switcher. If so, perhaps it could be flinched. Or, perhaps the latest one fred included in Xenialpup64 could be adapted.

I found the ISO of Jessie-Xfce. But it lacked the firmware for my wifi. Installed firmware-all but nada. Perhaps it required a reboot rather than just a restart-x. But it didn't use Whisker Menu. Perhaps just an install would be required.

The real truth is that if the DebianDogs are to prosper they will need some of you young firebrands to work with Fred and learn his techniques.

In the 8,000 or so years we've been recording history only two ways of managing a community have appeared: Parent to child, sibling with sibling. Parent to child, top-down is easier to maintain. Everyone knows his/her place. Easier until the parent is absent or no longer capable of leading. Then you have anarchy and/or the community dies. Sibling to sibling is messier: no one knows his/her place, each has his/her ideas regarding what is right, and for the community to accomplish anything requires at least some of its members to learn art of persuasion. But the loss of any member does not inevitably lead to civil war or dissolution of the community. And, two heads are always better than one. Unless you're buying hats. Edit: See my next post. :cry:

mikesLr

* Guessed wrong. Stumbled onto github. It starts with a netinstall. Better, you get to pick and choose just what you need.

P.S. In response to Flashes post next following: Right. Which is why a "Dog" starting at under 300 Mbs which can do the same thing would be better. :) But remember Mx16 already includes LibreOffice and other "weighty" applications.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

It's a 1.3 GB iso!

anticapitalista

#12 Post by anticapitalista »

Flash wrote:It's a 1.3 GB iso!
... and bigger than the original!

backi

#13 Post by backi »

Could be ....because remastered with Quick-Remaster Lz compression .

....Or not .....

mikeslr

Perhaps a DebianBear?

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Two of the three people most familiar with how to create DebianDogs have lost the passion they once had and the joy doing so once gave them. The third has either never had the time nor passion. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 902#946902

Perhaps there's something in the name "DebianLIve" which so angers the gods by its hubris that they declare it moribund.

A great idea. Two knowledgeable and innovative programmers. So much potential. So much lost. :cry:

People. :? All of them are nuts, except you and me. And I'm not so sure about one of us. :oops:

mikesLr

backi

#15 Post by backi »

Hi mikesir !

A great idea. Two knowledgeable and innovative programmers. So much potential. So much lost
Are they really ??.....i am quite confused.....
Could anybody please explain to me (with my simple Mind ) what`s the Meaning of that all .

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=420

Pelo

Puppy's Developers would like some help

#16 Post by Pelo »

Puppy's Dev would like some help. I am surprised that forces on Puppy linux forum are escaping to draw users to Debian or Antix projects !

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

For those who want to try a much more 'polished' DebianLive I can recommend "PointLinux"
http://pointlinux.org/download.html?ver ... irect=true
I'm running the XFCE version Live now (1GB ISO)
Debian (official) has a rather strict policy not to add 'non-free' components, e.g. by default it's not even enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list, you have to add it manually (contrib non-free)
Pointlinux has included non-free components and therefore has much more firmware included (e.g. for WiFi) and also customized desktop (XFCE with Whisker-menu).

Maybe I will take Pointlinux as a base in HowTo about creating porteus-boot initrd, not sure yet.

Fred