Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 19:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Blue Pup V6 Released 11th Oct 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 16 of 20 [297 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
step

PostPosted: Wed 07 May 2014, 01:12    Post subject: Re: keep mouse pointer local  

ETP wrote:

B: Install attached dotpet to revert mouse to impulse drive.

Thank you. It works well. I much prefer mouse impulse drive, even when right+win is pressed.
p.s. sent you a PM.
ETP

PostPosted: Wed 07 May 2014, 08:41    Post subject: petalert-mk1.pet released 27/04/14
Subject description: (No spash or audio on boot-up)

Hi step,

Thanks for posting the output from your terminal. It eliminates a number of possibilities and indicates that the script is working correctly and there are no internet issues.

Quote:
I'm still not seeing or hearing alerts at boot time.

This seems to be a timing issue which I will return to. Let us first try to sort out the audio mute/volume issue.

AUDIO PROBLEM (The sound of silence?)

1. Open the folder /root/noob/files then left click on the file "alert.wav". It should open and play in a VLC window.
If you hear nothing do not change the level in VLC which should show 100%. Instead right click on the speaker icon in the tray
and then left click on the "Full Window" item. Adjust the levels of the PCM & Master bars playing the alert.wav again
between adjustments until the level is satisfactory.

2. Leaving the Retrovol window open, open a terminal window within the /noob/files directory then type aplay alert.wav
Repeat this a few times whilst adjusting the levels in the Retrovol window.

BOOT PROBLEM (No sound or popup)

My best guess at present is that this is a timing issue. Try editing the popupmk1 script in the Startup folder.
Begin by increasing the sleep from 14 seconds to 60 seconds. Save the file then re-boot. If that does the trick reduce
it to 30 then re-boot again. Settle for the lowest value that gives consistent results.

step

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 01:28    Post subject: Re: petalert-mk1.pet released 27/04/14
Subject description: (No spash or audio on boot-up)

ETP wrote:

1. Open the folder /root/noob/files then left click on the file "alert.wav". It should open and play in a VLC window.

2. Leaving the Retrovol window open, open a terminal window within the /noob/files directory then type aplay alert.wav

BOOT PROBLEM (No sound or popup)

Begin by increasing the sleep from 14 seconds to 60 seconds....

OK, I did 1 and 2, alert.wav plays at an audible volume level. I increased the sleep to 60. I will come back after next reboot. Thank you.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 02:37    Post subject:  

Hello @ETP

Did as you prescribed without rebooting. I now get the experience you allude to; both audio and video. Thanks. I have not rebooted this distro is weeks.

One options that I had referred you to, earlier, was the manner in which LH64 makes service available, where it is a selectable item (clickable) for installation. I thought that I have remembered that @BarryK had done similar.

But, considering how members could find that as an unwelcomed approach, this manner is acceptable. Maybe a pointer in the popup, in the future, could be added so that unfamiliar members would know where on the forum to look. Just tossing out an idea.

"code BLUE." ... nice

step

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 05:15    Post subject: Re: petalert-mk1.pet released 27/04/14
Subject description: No splash or audio on boot-up

@ETP, a 60 second sleep fixed this issue. I didn't even try a shorter sleep as there is no point in hurrying to receive an update alert.
Fyi, when my PC boots it takes about 20-25 seconds overall to get an IP address for eth0 first and then for wlan0. I don't know how typical those timings are - they seem reasonable to me.
step

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 05:16    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Maybe a pointer in the popup, in the future, could be added so that unfamiliar members would know where on the forum to look. Just tossing out an idea.
+1
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 11:21    Post subject: petalert-mk1.pet released 27/04/14  

@ gcmartin & step,

Thanks for your feedback. In Blue Pup V4 (Final?) I will increase the delay in that script and also adjust the volume of the wave file to -1db as I think that I originally played it too safe.
You both concur that a better pointer to new pets & service packs is needed particularly for newbies. I will therefore amend the existing tile which points to the Puppy Forum so that it points instead to the Blue Pup thread. In addition I will also add another bookmark within Chromium.
Thanks for your input

step

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 17:48    Post subject: single menu to boot all puppies and Blue Pup Quirky Tahr!  

Finally I figured out how to boot all my frugal puppies and Blue Pup QT from a single boot menu! The gist of it is to chainload syslinux from grub4dos.

A bit more detail
I start with a fat grub4dos menu for all my frugals, and a slim syslinux menu for Blue Pup Quirky Tahr, but how to merge the two menus together?
Additional challenges; Blue Pup boots from a USB key and resides on an SSD while the frugals live in an ATAPI HDD caddy that replaced the DVD drive of my notebook when the SDD came in.
Moreover, no bootloader understands f2fs (Blue Pup QT's) partitions yet.
For reference, my SSD/USB installation process is described here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.php?p=770189 and here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.php?p=770080.
To chainload grub and syslinux I followed this tutorial http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/chainload-syslinux and used the RMPrepUSB tool in Windows to install syslinux and grub4dos on a USB key.
Then I simply copied my menu.lst and syslinux.cfg files to the USB key, and added an entry to menu.lst (method 1 of the tutorial).

Last edited by step on Thu 22 May 2014, 13:51; edited 1 time in total
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 11:49    Post subject: Blue Pup V4 (Final)-Released 9th May 2014
Subject description: Emulates Windows 8.1 functionality - based on Quirky Tahr 6.0.5

Blue Pup V4 (Final)-Released 9th May 2014

This is the final release of Blue. Its main new feature is that it is suitable for any type of BIOS so eliminating the need for a separate version (V3) to deal with awkward ones. There is no requirement to edit syslinux.cfg.
It incorporates all previous service packs and dotpets. “Hot screen sides” is set as the default behaviour.

The target installation device remains as an 8GB or larger USB2 or USB3 stick. It is advisable to at least read the first two posts in this thread for details of the other features. Those posts also contain numerous links to other posts that you may wish to consult later.
Minor changes in V4 include additional icons on the taskbar.

Install to a hard disc/SSD is detailed here:
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=763231#763231

Where to obtain the image: (blue_pup_v4.img.xz) - (424 MB)

The image plus win32diskimager-v0.7-binary together with their MD5s are to be found here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_iVVJCd9q09eXNxX3NTR1lqcVE&usp=sharing

Install Procedure:

Using Windows: (This is the recommended method when available)
7-Zip should be used to decompress the image. It will decompress to 3.74GB so please ensure that you have at least that much free space available.
Use win32diskimager to place the image on the stick.

A detailed win32diskimager guide is to be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=765457#765457

Using Linux:

The commands for Blue Pup V4 are: (substitute actual target device letter for X)

Code:
# xz --decompress --stdout blue_pup_v4.img.xz > /dev/sdX
# sync

N/B (Regardless of method used.)
If you first attempt to boot the stick on the same pc or laptop that you used to create it, make sure that before doing so, you shut down the device and remove all mains power from it for a couple of minutes.
This will ensure that your BIOS refreshes its view of the stick and sees it as bootable.
When you boot-up, access your BIOS to place the stick at the top of your boot order.
It may appear as a bootable ZIP or USB hard disc depending on your particular BIOS.

Setup Procedure:

Remains as detailed in the first post of this thread.

Final Thoughts:

The use of the inbuilt “Hot screen sides” utility is described in this post:
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=771604#771604
BP4-2.png
 Description   Metro interface for V4.
 Filesize   181.98 KB
 Viewed   1941 Time(s)

BP4-2.png

BP4-1.png
 Description   V4 desktop & panel. Additional taskbar icons for Pfind, CD eject/close, reboot, power-off, PupSnap & PupControl.
 Filesize   77.72 KB
 Viewed   2014 Time(s)

BP4-1.png

Last edited by ETP on Fri 09 May 2014, 12:21; edited 1 time in total
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 11:50    Post subject: Blue Pup V4  

Reserved for Additional info, tips & FAQ:

1. An alternate wallpaper that I use with my own copy of Blue V4 is now available in the same folder as the download. Note also the placement of a few extra desktop icons, plus Tickr running across the screen. A matching darker theme is adopted in the Metro interface.
(Available here: www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=777758#777758)
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   61.79 KB
 Viewed   1862 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.64 KB
 Viewed   1940 Time(s)

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   61.16 KB
 Viewed   1939 Time(s)

image-3.jpg

Last edited by ETP on Thu 22 May 2014, 02:42; edited 1 time in total
step

PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2014, 02:19    Post subject: V3 to V4 upgrade path?  

How can I upgrade from a plain V3 to the latest V4 without reinstalling everything?
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2014, 11:01    Post subject: Re: V3 to V4 upgrade path?  

step wrote:
How can I upgrade from a plain V3 to the latest V4 without reinstalling everything?

Hi step,
IIRC you have already applied all the pets & service packs with the exception of petalert-mk2.pet which is academic as you have edited mk1 to suit your hardware.

If you also desire the additional taskbar stuff an install of V4 to another stick would be the best option.

If you want a different look, it is just a matter of installing a wallpaper of your choice in /usr/share/backgrounds and then selecting it via the menu. Additional items on the desktop are created by dragging them onto it from the following locations:
/usr/local/bin
/usr/share/applications
/usr/local/apps

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 14:55    Post subject:  

Desktop look good and system appears stable. But, in this version, it opens browser in a full-screen and trying to use right slider is a bear. I wasn't sure if this means that this PET, namely www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=771604#771604, is included built-in or is to be added. In any event, I had a good-ole-time trying to wrestle this current behavior without resorted to your PET above.
Question

Something else to consider
An idea, I believe I may have presented before, is to, on initial use, bounce the user to the FIRSTRUN utility in Menu>Setup. It would make it so easy for newbies to begin a pleasant experience if they were not from the UK. Again, this is an idea for you to consider if you feel it is beneficial.

Thanks @ETP

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 01:34    Post subject: Blue Pup V4 (Final)-Released 9th May 2014  

Hi gcmartin,

Blue V4 incorporates ALL previous service packs and dotpets including optional ones. “Hot screen sides” is set as the default behaviour.

All versions of Blue are intended to be run with the browser in full screen mode only using F11 to access the bookmarks bar or to optionally navigate tabs & pages. With the “Hot screen sides” feature you need to use a mouse with a scroll wheel rather than the right slider.

Given that Blue is “Final” I will only be supplying support & bug fixes rather than additional features. I do not consider the setup instructions detailed in the first post in this thread to be too tedious. Support for booting will be limited to only those methods that I have described.

8-bit

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 12:32    Post subject:  

Hello again!
I am back after wiping out version 3 from my 8gig flash drive and installing version 4.
Two things I noticed fairly quick is one, although the volume icon showed up initially on the task bar with an X through it, it then disappeared completely.
And number two, was that the network did not set up a connection through my modem to the internet.
I ran the Connect to Internet Wizard to get that set up.
Before, it had connected automatically.
So someone new to Blue might be lost on what to do.
I still have to check out the sound and see what it will take to get the volume icon to display and sound to work.
Other than that, I am posting this from Blue after an uneventful boot of it using my PCs boot selection menu.
Page 16 of 20 [297 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: