Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 16:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Blue Pup V4 (Final)-Released 9th May 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 12 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr 2014, 17:06    Post_subject:  

@BillToo, thanks. I was just looking at this site just before clicking into this BLUE thread where I find your post. XBMC would be an excellent native application for this distro it could be, OOTB.

What an idea.

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 07:46    Post_subject: A sticky wicket.  

If anyone is curious about the construction of the 8GB USB stick GPT layout that BarryK issued for QT and is used in Blue V1 & V2 but not in V3, this is the relevant link:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00015

Blue V3 attempts to address two issues that emerged in testing by forum members. The first is that some sticks are in reality less than 8x1000x1000x1000 bytes. The second is that some BIOSs will not boot from a USB stick without using some trickery.

When I first issued Blue I failed to anticipate the first problem and although aware of the second, did not realise just how common that problem is.

The above observations have been added to the second (FAQ) post in this thread which now contains 9 items as opposed to the original 4.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 10:35    Post_subject: Blue Pup V1, V2 & V3 (Released 2nd April 2014)  

I moved my flashdrive once again, this time to a pc with an nvidia
graphics card.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 8 Apr 2014 on Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nouveau
X.Org version: 1.15.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVA5
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.1
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

It booted to the desktop, I needed to run alsamixer in the terminal to
adjust the sound but that was it.
screenshot3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.62 KB
 Viewed   506 Time(s)

screenshot3.jpg

step

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 15:36    Post_subject:  

One success, one failure + question.
Success: blue pup runs from my SDD. Got a V3 blue pup working on 8GB USB key. Prepared f2fs partition on SSD. Copied files from USB key f2fs partition to SSD. Edited config file in USB key vfat partition to point to the SSD f2fs partition /dev/sda5.
Failure: I have an old HP usb 1.1 memory key, 30MB, and I thought I could use it instead of my other 8GB USB key to hold the vfat boot partition. So, formatted hp key vfat, cloned vfat partition from 8GB USB key to 30MB hp key using gnost option 6, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54231, shut down, replaced 8GB key with 30MB key, reboot. I can see the progress indicator "vmlinuz....<ready>" but then my PC reboots followed by the progress indicator again in an endless loop.
Questions: Where did I go wrong? What should happen, technically, after the progress indicator says "<ready>"?
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 16:15    Post_subject:    

Hello @Step.

The problem, I think, is that the MBR does not contain the proper program to config file on the partition you formated on the USB1.1 stick. Changing the bootmanager to GRUB4DOS might help here.

I've never done the following with BLUE. But, its an idea.
While running your PUP
  • insert your USB1.1 stick.
  • blanks your stick
  • go to Menu>system>GRUB4DOS
  • Let GRUB4DOS setup stick
Try again.

You may have to set parms on the Blue entry in the config file to boot.
Here to help
Edited: to add problem thoughts

Edited_time_total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 16:24    Post_subject:  

would a copy work? over an existing thar. I found out dd-ing to a flashdrive is about the worst thing for long life.
step

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 17:05    Post_subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
The problem, I think, is that the MBR does not contain the proper program to config file on the partition you formated on the USB1.1 stick. Changing the bootmanager to GRUB4DOS might help here.
I'm not an expert, but I thought that the MBR is fine since the USB1.1 stick is going through a boot sequence and displaying "vlinuz.....<ready>" then the PC reboots. I used gnost to clone the source partition to the USB1.1 stick, gnost is a cloning script, I think it takes care of the MBR. But I could be wrong. Anyway, I used GRUB4DOS boot manager from puppy precise and set the USB1.1 menu.lst to boot from /dev/sda5 and also chainload linux on /dev/sda (in GRUB4DOS advanced menu). Neither option worked. Blank monitor with a blinking underline cursor. I might give up on this USB1.1 key and go back to using a full blue pup V3 stick to boot blue pup on my SSD - like I'm doing just now. It's a waste, but at least it works.
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 02:04    Post_subject:  

Blue V3 mirrored
ETP

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 04:10    Post_subject: Booting from HDD or SSD with another stick or card  

Hi step,
Quote:
Where did I go wrong?

It sounds as though Gnost, which I have never used, was not up to the job. What you attempted was right in principle. To achieve your aim:

1. Return your 30MB key (The target boot device you wish to use.) to its virgin state as described below:

In Linux use Gparted to do that: (In Windows just format it.)
    A. Start by clicking on “device” then select “Create Partition Table”

B. Create a single fat32 partition spanning the whole stick accepting all other defaults.
    (Do not set any flags or change anything else)

2. Download the 16 Meg HDD/SSD boot image file (16MegBlueBoot.img) that I have now uploaded together with the Windows utility to flash that image on to the target boot device (win32diskimager-v0.7-binary.)

It is intended to be used when you have copied the files from the f2fs partition of a working 8GB stick over to a partition on a hard disc or SSD and prefer not to modify syslinux.cfg on that stick to boot from or want to use that stick elsewhere.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_iVVJCd9q09cTFfNnhaR2QybFk&usp=sharing

Win32diskimager is in ZIP form & just needs extracting. It does not require installation. To launch it click on Win32DiskImager.exe in the extracted directory. More info can be found here:

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=765457#765457

(Before you boot from the card or stick so produced, you may need to change the partition reference in syslinux.cfg which currently points at sda5.)

3. Before booting from the new stick remove all mains power to your box for a couple of minutes. Then insert the stick and as the pc boots enter your BIOS to place it at the top of your boot order.

4. Engage warp drive! Smile

Edited_time_total
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 15:09    Post_subject: Re: Blue Pup (V1 Released 3rd March 2014)  

Hi ETP,
I got no success copying the sticks 2nd partition (using rox drag and drop the files from the stick 2nd partition).
ETP wrote:

Install to hard disc or SSD:

Having created a working Blue Pup install on a card or stick you have all the ingredients and simply need to copy over the complete contents of the 2nd partition on the card or stick to an empty f2fs partition that you “prepared earlier” on your disc. It should be at least 16GB in size to allow room for snapshots. (20GB is recommended)
N/B If you elect to shrink an existing partition in order to create an f2fs partition it is strongly advised that you back up your whole hard disc before doing so.
To perform this copy you will have to have booted from an f2fs aware Pup such as QT, Precise 5.7.1 or Thin Slacko.

How can one
- copy the the sticks 2nd partition to a HDD partition ? (currently a logical partition, ext4 formatted - i noticed that Grub4dos cannot boot on f2fs partition ...it returns an error like "cannot find this partition")
- extract the bluepup-img.xz to that hdd partition?

thanks for any answer

Cheers, Charlie
ETP

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 16:09    Post_subject: Install to hard disc or SSD:  

Hi Charlie,

Firstly UNDER NO circumstances should you attempt to target your HDD with the img.xz file. That could WIPE your hard drive. Shocked

I am not clear from your post whether you are struggling to copy the files to your ext4 partition or whether you are struggling to boot having successfully copied the files.

Can you please clarify the problem?

Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 16:37    Post_subject: Blue Pup V1, V2 & V3 (Released 2nd April 2014)  

I installed Blue Pup V2 to a usb 3.0 flashdrive, it's running on my
dual core lenovo desktop.
I have 2 monitors connected and by installing arandr from QPM it is
using both screens.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 9 Apr 2014 on Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nouveau
X.Org version: 1.15.0
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

It turns direct rendering off so XBMC won't run,oh well.
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   41.67 KB
 Viewed   293 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 21:50    Post_subject: Re: Booting from HDD or SSD with another stick or card  

ETP wrote:
Return your 30MB key (The target boot device you wish to use.) to its virgin state as described below:

In Linux use Gparted to do that: (In Windows just format it.)

I've had quite a few usb booting problems (not with Blue pup...) where I have used Gparted in the belief that it returns a stick to a pure, virgin state. However, it is now my belief that Gparted cannot be trusted to format a stick to an "ex Factory" condition - it leaves some mbr and filesystem structures intact, and if those structures have already been damaged, corrupted or badly configured then you can't count on Gparted to correct it. (I'm no expert on this so don't quote me...)

I just wanted to mention that in case some people find odd results after expecting that Gparted would 'virginise' the stick. There might be more thorough ways of getting a solid "ground zero" format including a perfectly configured mbr...
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014, 23:55    Post_subject: Re: Install to hard disc or SSD:  

Hi ETP,
goodmorning !
ETP wrote:
Hi Charlie,
Firstly UNDER NO circumstances should you attempt to target your HDD with the img.xz file. That could WIPE your hard drive. Shocked

Thanks !!!
Quote:
I am not clear from your post whether you are struggling to copy the files to your ext4 partition or whether you are struggling to boot having successfully copied the files.
Can you please clarify the problem?

Sorry being that unclear Embarassed
the question is just to get the files copied to the ext4 partition.

Uuh...There might be some further boot question afterwards... Confused If i've well understood, the BluePup stick is needed for booting (from the files into sdb1). BluePup is not aimed for starting from Grub, isn't...?

Thanks for your time
Charlie
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 02:34    Post_subject: Re: Install to hard disc or SSD:  

Hi Charlie,

To copy the files from the second (f2fs) partition on the working stick that you have made, you must first boot from another Pup that is f2fs aware such as QT, Precise 5.7.1 or Thin Slacko.
Once you have booted that Pup, plug in your Blue stick and then open up two Rox filer windows.
The first window should be to the empty partition on the hard disc.
The second window should be to the f2fs partition on the stick.

Make sure that you display hidden files on the stick & then select everything.
Drag them across to the empty window and select copy. That process will take some time as there is about 1.6GB of directories and their contents to copy.

The syslinux.cfg on the Blue Pup stick then needs changing so that you can boot from that.

If the above is not working for you, please post any error messages.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 12 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum