Wireless Connections maladies

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
ndujoe1

Wireless Connections maladies

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

Last night I was moderating a Puppy linux SIG at our Computer Club. Because I was not able to get the wireless connection solved we didn't get far in showing what Puppy linux 2.0 can do.

I was embarrased by this impasse. At home I have dialup and have not problems using PUppy on the internet.

So this is a plea to find one confirmed, USB Wireless adaptor that works in Puppy LInux that is as easily configurable as the dialup connection.

I told the group about the speed, easy use of Puppy LInux which is observable in my home daily use of it. However when I couldn't get passed first base on this wireless connection issue, the talk prettty much fell on deaf ears.

Joe

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

I'm right in a test with my Belkin F5D7050 wireless usb card.
tempestuous and kirk has helped me a lot with this card. If it can hold the line stable over time, it's a working card.

See my response tomorrow on this thread: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9079

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

There are thousands of Linux drivers for all manner of hardware which are not included in the standard Puppy, otherwise Puppy's size would double. Some drivers are generated from the standard kernel source, and Barry has only included the most common of these, and some can only be obtained from separate development projects. So it's a question of obtaining the correct "add-on" driver for your hardware.
For wifi devices, you can use ndiswrapper (built into Puppy), which "wraps" the appropriate Windows driver, but this solution is not assured for all devices - go to the ndiswrapper support page and you will see the troubles people have.

Regarding Linux wifi drivers, be careful. Manufacturers seem to re-negotiate their source of chipsets over time, and will re-release a device with a similar model number containing a completely different chipset.
zigbert's Belkin F5D7050 is the v3000 with Ralink RT2571 chipset, but the latest version is the v4000 with Zydas chipset.

Base your choice on chipset. For USB devices, Ralink and Zydas are fine, Prism54 might be OK - its driver is very new, but USB devices with Atheros chips should be avoided because the Atheros driver (MADWiFi) does not have USB support yet.