L.A.S.S.I.E. - Version 0.0.2 - a new LazY Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
LazY Puppy

#76 Post by LazY Puppy »

Welcome back RSH. wrote:Welcome back RSH.
Thanks! :D

If you have sent me PM to RSH Account I can't open it before End of January 2015. Just for your interest.
l0wt3ch wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend.
greengeek wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend. That must be difficult to see - especially finding communication so difficult.
Yes, that's true horror!

I have learned to play a Role, so sometimes I play a Role to make my Girlfriend some lucky Moments during some daytime. But I have had never ever learned to hide my emotions. If I feel real Horror, you can see it coming right out of my Face!

And he has seen the Horror in my Face - I've noticed that. So he's still there and present - and of course knows all about we were talking the last 12 Months.

Yes, that's Life. My Brother in Law died aged 31 on Cancer. We all do pay the price for living, which is: Life. We pay for what we have had done or even too for what we have had missed to do.

I will pay for what I've done especially and exclusively. Besides my Drums and my current Girlfriend for now nine and a half year, Puppy Linux is still one of the best things happen to me in my Life. I like programming -even if I'm still not a Programmer- since the middle of the 1980's, done on Atari ST then. But had to pay for a Programming Language (ST Pascal +, 250 DM) and Public Domain Software was just in the beginnings but very active already.

But now, having everything wide opened up, it's a truely Gift. A *horrible* truely Gift and the more Code I'm reading the more Ideas come in mind. My Girlfirend is reading a Book, I'm reading Scripts. I wish you all would be able to use DE interface, I would send you a Puppy Linux Computer Paradise on a 32 GB USB Flash Drive. :lol:

So when it comes to me to pay the price, I want to be sure some of that was for Puppy Linux!
greengeek wrote:This is a very exciting concept. I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of remastering and continually re-using a pup.sfs containing different contents but same name.

With your method a developer could create a pup.sfs that remains true to the developers design, but with your super-init adding a personalised layer over the top. Love it!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 984#809984
greengeek wrote:Nice work RSH - you are getting very close to being able to make it possible for Puppians to write a small text file listing their 'personalised options' and have puppy boot automatically into that personalised state without any remaster at all.

Then no keyboard interaction will be needed either!

Puppy will look for the file and set itself up. Bliss!
I like remastering still very much. Yes, it's uncomfortable to use different versions by equal names. My Remaster Suite is working in unattended Mode and renames the SFS automatically when ever I'm activating the GUI Option. Since I'm using smallest .gz compression possible generally it takes about 15 Seconds to create a 350 MB .gz compressed SFS. Also it boots much faster when .gz compressed.

But I also like the Idea, to develop Programs in a LazY Puppy and afterwards testing those Programs using equal OS without any of my extensions. Instead of having six remastered versions and six of the original versions present on USB Flash Drive or HDD, only the six original versions would be needed therefor.

And I don't like very much to configure too much stuff manually after booting into X desktop. Setting up the Quick Setup for DE interface is almost enough. Will solve this also by the L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 Boot Options ptimezone and pinterface (which works really smart :D ) for the Slacko 5.9.3 initrd.gz..

So, of course, the one and only way is the init Script in initrd.gz. I don't know much about systemd, hopefully they won't change it too quickly. (And: aren't there Puppies without SFS, just initrd.gz?)

My current Solution, presented in the above linked Post, is of course really really close to what you suggest. But I can write Scripts. The average user usually can't.

So it would be needed first to define some Standards of what Options to be setup by the User's config File. This Job has to be done by a Script even following those Standards. I can hack everything into a code that I want have to work - well, almost everything. And I want to do this.

So for Guys like me there would be also needed a Standard config Script.

Makes at least two Sections for one config Script:

- Section 1 for System Settings
- Section 2 for User Settings

The User Settings at least would need two Entries.
- for the Name of a Script to be executed
- a flag if it contains stuff, that needs to be execute before /root/Startup

My current Goal would be to have no config File at first boot - except there are predefined User Settings - and after booting into X desktop to find a either new created or a patched config File, that would e.g. offer me a List of possible Screen Sizes and Resolutions where I could choose from to be used at next boot using the config File - either presented just as comments or -even better- in already usable Form, just lines commented out to be changed easily.

Beyond this everything seems to be possible using a fresh, clean and un-remastered version of any Puppy Linux.

Examining...

RSH

oui

#77 Post by oui »

Hi RSH
Also from me, welcome back!
You have very buzy with your developments.
And they are great.
But I read that you are running and running (as other Puppy developpers to produce new versions adapted to an already other old version)! As long we will use Ubuntu as our base and Ubuntu will produce a new version each April and October of each year, it will be so and continue to be so.
BK did discover that reality a lot of years ago. And I am certain other one like Debian itself did also do it!
BK did realize that only the way through a Distribution builder can be done to prevent this terrible reality! And he did produce his Woof, the distribution builder of Puppy!
If that was really needed?
Yes, of course, but good scripts do the same and are more open as far as good documented in text and good structured...
I use more than one distribution because I use in some cases THE MOST ACTUAL version of the software I can use without to need to use Arch or Gentoo... And Original Ubuntu is that.
But I also use NuTyx since about 4..5 years. It would be difficult to use only NuTyx else I would do it. NuTyx is fast because it is optimized for the processor ;-) (it is probably an adequate way to mess itself with all in RAM distributions like Puppy, as Puppy is not optimized for it!. NuTyx is a two mann show with one creator and one developper having the great labor to port the KDE into NuTyx. What is the important message I will transmit to you and other member of the Puppy staff?
Then...
Nutyx is a correct but completed LinuxFromScratch derivate always in the actual new version.
It is coming with a distribution's building script from LFS/BLFS sources (not absolutely in full automatic but about) as well as, different from Original LFS being only available from sources, from the NuTyx-Binaries for 32- as well as for 64-version (bravo powerfull 2-mann-staff)!
and, it is the point, you can install them out about all other running (not only preinstalled, Arch Pup is enough!) distros (Original Puppy is not going: bash seems to be different fom Ubuntu's bash, Ubuntu bash works! It is the same with Keyboard's definitions being never actualized in Puppy! Years and years long the same terrible errors...!).
What is the importance of that!
Big!
You don't need to reproduce some errors. Each new distro version is really re compiled from A..Z!
And each other member of the community as always the same chances to do the same as you, it is team work.
And all the system is completely open: Sources, scripts, as well as the git...
Really entirely open.
Using scripts to BUILD THE DISTRO and not only to USE THE DISTRO gives to that distro real power: To man develop a complete system (from completely and uptodate available sources of course) used to build from sources, to install from script or to install from own maintenance system or from ISO (both are about equivalent: the difference is, that the maintenance system is always pre located and pre installed on the own hard disk and that you never need to burn a CD ot to install an ISO on USB stick)!
my opinion is that your great stuff (LazY stuff, Sara B stuff, variable Menus stuff, Rox app's stuff, LP3-, I suppose now, ...-SFS stuff) would need an installations access equivalent to them I have describded for Nutyx: from Sources, from Binaries through a git (there are free git depositories! you don't need to manage yourself and pay for a site: all is free as it is for free software!) through scripts, You are really a great master in writing scripts, as using a tool as You did produce more that one time, remastered Puppy ISO's... to install more and remaster more.
This way would allow to maintain always just in time actual versions of best software as the most work is to elaborate and adapt the sources and does LFS / BLFS itself. And as LFS is, of course an great exigent but traditions oriented community work, this important part of the job comes finish for more.
I wish you new Version 3.0 a big success and long life but also above vision of development in the future.
Kind regards

greengeek

#78 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:So it would be needed first to define some Standards of what Options to be setup by the User's config File. This Job has to be done by a Script even following those Standards. I can hack everything into a code that I want have to work - well, almost everything. And I want to do this.

So for Guys like me there would be also needed a Standard config Script.
Yes, it would take considerable discussion to agree on the contents / requirements of that standard config. It would be nice to agree on a puppy init structure that allowed critical changes to be made (during init) without the need for personalisation/remaster of the main sfs as offered by the developer.

If a user wants to avoid constantly remastering what the developer has offered (just to get the puppy the way they want/need it to be) then what other methods are available to personalise the puppy? A user could ask "If I am booting a 'developers_generic_puppy.sfs' then what does the that basic puppy.sfs lack for me? What would i like to change during the init/boot phase in order to personalise this puppy the way I want it to be?"

1) Specify a bootsplash image
2) Set interface language (eg as proposed by L18L or via "pinterface")
3) Set locale/language
4) Set hostname
5) Specify dhcp or static IP
6) Set timezone ("ptimezone")
7) Specify blacklisted modules etc??
8) Specify some pre-boot or 'during-boot' scripts (eg firewall setup and sfs load list?)
9) Specify a desktop wallpaper
10) Specify which sfs must be loaded during boot.
11) I might want to run some post-boot scripts (eg the way /root/Startup already does now - eg: which drives to mount; which websites to open, maybe also a way to open programmes/windows that were active in some previous session (like Apple timemachine or similar)- ie I could have my "Monday Init" which sets puppy up for my workday, or my "Saturday Init" which sets up my puppy for weekend activities, or my "Evening Init" which sets up my puppy for entertainment websites, music scoring, online jam sessions etc)

So maybe what is needed is a text file that specifies each of the above parameters (accessible to initrd.gz), then a way to force each of the puppy wizards to run during boot and access those parameters during that process. Or some other better way to achieve this.

Very similar to kernel parameters but more extensive.

Just one text file and two images and voila my personalisation is done for me during init!

Of course such an idea only works if the generic.sfs is a good match for my hardware - otherwise the standard savefile/remaster may be inevitable to accommodate the necessary changes...

LazY Puppy

#79 Post by LazY Puppy »

1) Specify a bootsplash image
2) Set interface language (eg as proposed by L18L or via "pinterface")
3) Set locale/language
4) Set hostname
5) Specify dhcp or static IP
6) Set timezone ("ptimezone")
7) Specify blacklisted modules etc??
8) Specify some pre-boot or 'during-boot' scripts (eg firewall setup and sfs load list?)
9) Specify a desktop wallpaper
10) Specify which sfs must be loaded during boot.
11) I might want to run some post-boot scripts (eg the way /root/Startup already does now - eg: which drives to mount; which websites to open, maybe also a way to open programmes/windows that were active in some previous session (like Apple timemachine or similar)- ie I could have my "Monday Init" which sets puppy up for my workday, or my "Saturday Init" which sets up my puppy for weekend activities, or my "Evening Init" which sets up my puppy for entertainment websites, music scoring, online jam sessions etc)
I have made some progress on this and will open its own thread for this in the programming section.

RSH

LazY Puppy

#80 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:Hi RSH
And they are great.
Thank you very much, oui! :)
But I read that you are running and running (as other Puppy developpers to produce new versions adapted to an already other old version)! As long we will use Ubuntu as our base and Ubuntu will produce a new version each April and October of each year, it will be so and continue to be so.
BK did discover that reality a lot of years ago. And I am certain other one like Debian itself did also do it!
BK did realize that only the way through a Distribution builder can be done to prevent this terrible reality! And he did produce his Woof, the distribution builder of Puppy!
Yes, and this is exactly the clue!

I have stated it multiple times - I am not a programmer and I am not a distribution builder. I am a Hacker, having fun examining Open Source Codes, modifying Open Source Codes and doing some programming for Applications, that I want to use. Each and every little line of code written by myself has been done, because it was part of an Application, that I wanted to use.

I don't like the Internet and my complete online Life is usually turning around Puppy Linux. When I'm entering the Web a thousand times, there may be (not must be) one time out of those thousands of times, that I'm entering the Web for a different purpose.

This fact for itself makes me unable to be a distribution builder. Since almost all of you out there are addicted online-abusers and addicted to the use of smartphones or so-called smart devices, this would force me to do a lot of internet, web and smart device related work - which I don't want to do. I'm not interested in!

I don't need a smartphone since I'm owning a smart brain. I am able to carry phone numbers without to use and to carry energy-wasting electronic devices where ever I'm moving.

I don't need Global Positioning Navigation Devices since I can move and find my way home just by watching the Sun and/or the Stars.

I don't need a control-center for my digital devices since I'm the control-center of my home and all its devices - not only the (less in numbers) digital ones.

I don't need a digital personal time management device since I don't want to fill up my life with stupid actions like trying to become rich or watching ice-cube battles on the web, which would force me to do a personal time management and then to be forced to put beloved by me persons into such personal time management.

That's just stupid human behavior!

Let me try to explain this a little more - I'm calling this the

Animal/Human Normal Mode/Danger Mode Theory

Looking at the fishes in the sea - the small ones, the swarms of fishes. If they are in Normal Mode, they are just swimming and doing whatever fishes are doing in the sea. Everyone :lol: is just acting like he/she :lol: wants to act. But if they are getting into Danger Mode, they have a code:

- look left
- look right
- do what they do

And it works perfectly!

Exactly this code:

- look left
- look right
- do what they do

is Human acting in Normal Mode. But when humans are forced to get in Danger Mode, they kill each other because everyone acts chaotic and filled of panic. Usually kids and other physically weak persons are the dead ones out of this Human Danger Mode.

My Personal Normal Mode is:

- do what you want
- look left
- look right
- never ever do what they do

So there might be some intelligence of the swarms, but that's absolutely NOT true for swarms of human beings. And it will never ever become true by the use of stupid digital so-called smart devices! :wink:
If that was really needed?
Yes, of course, but good scripts do the same and are more open as far as good documented in text and good structured...
I use more than one distribution because I use in some cases THE MOST ACTUAL version of the software I can use without to need to use Arch or Gentoo... And Original Ubuntu is that.
But I also use NuTyx since about 4..5 years. It would be difficult to use only NuTyx else I would do it. NuTyx is fast because it is optimized for the processor Wink (it is probably an adequate way to mess itself with all in RAM distributions like Puppy, as Puppy is not optimized for it!. NuTyx is a two mann show with one creator and one developper having the great labor to port the KDE into NuTyx. What is the important message I will transmit to you and other member of the Puppy staff?
I don't use any other operating system.

My default daily OS is still the LazY Puppy - of course my extended private version. Sometimes I do use the Precise 5.6 based LazY Precise. Don't want to switch to any other OS - especially if it doesn't offer something similar like Puppy Linux's .sfs files. Also I think, it would be a waste of time, since I'm getting now close to being a expert - only meant as for my personal uses and tweaks.
Then...
Nutyx is a correct but completed LinuxFromScratch derivate always in the actual new version.
It is coming with a distribution's building script from LFS/BLFS sources (not absolutely in full automatic but about) as well as, different from Original LFS being only available from sources, from the NuTyx-Binaries for 32- as well as for 64-version (bravo powerfull 2-mann-staff)!
and, it is the point, you can install them out about all other running (not only preinstalled, Arch Pup is enough!) distros (Original Puppy is not going: bash seems to be different fom Ubuntu's bash, Ubuntu bash works! It is the same with Keyboard's definitions being never actualized in Puppy! Years and years long the same terrible errors...!).
This belongs to the distribution builders, so: BarryK, 01micko etc.pp.

I just don't have the knowledge to fix or change such *years long terrible errors*. Maybe they don't have the knowledge as well? I don't know.
What is the importance of that!
Big!
You don't need to reproduce some errors. Each new distro version is really re compiled from A..Z!
And each other member of the community as always the same chances to do the same as you, it is team work.
And all the system is completely open: Sources, scripts, as well as the git...
Really entirely open.
Using scripts to BUILD THE DISTRO and not only to USE THE DISTRO gives to that distro real power: To man develop a complete system (from completely and uptodate available sources of course) used to build from sources, to install from script or to install from own maintenance system or from ISO (both are about equivalent: the difference is, that the maintenance system is always pre located and pre installed on the own hard disk and that you never need to burn a CD ot to install an ISO on USB stick)!
:lol:

I couldn't even compile applications in most of all cases! :lol:

How should I be able to compile a complete OS? :lol:

You funny guy...
my opinion is that your great stuff (LazY stuff, Sara B stuff, variable Menus stuff, Rox app's stuff, LP3-, I suppose now, ...-SFS stuff) would need an installations access equivalent to them I have describded for Nutyx: from Sources, from Binaries through a git (there are free git depositories! you don't need to manage yourself and pay for a site: all is free as it is for free software!) through scripts, You are really a great master in writing scripts, as using a tool as You did produce more that one time, remastered Puppy ISO's... to install more and remaster more.
This way would allow to maintain always just in time actual versions of best software as the most work is to elaborate and adapt the sources and does LFS / BLFS itself. And as LFS is, of course an great exigent but traditions oriented community work, this important part of the job comes finish for more.
I wish you new Version 3.0 a big success and long life but also above vision of development in the future.
No, my *great stuff* doesn't need any installation access from sources and binaries at git or something similar. LazY Puppy etc. has got everything on board to create your own .sfs files from .pet and .deb files. Every Puppy Linux comes with development extension (devx) so the end user also can compile applications. So LazY Puppy offers more options to create and build applications as any other Puppy Linux or its derivative.

What my *great stuff* would need at first, is to be recognized as a *great stuff*!

Ok, there have been some users -like you- that already did so, but not the developers. And since all of this *great stuff* is NOT programmed using a well founded background knowledge of Puppy Linux it would be needed to re-coded!

All of this *great stuff* is hacked into the keyboard until it worked by having a HUGE amount of FUN!

That's what I'm doing here, that's what I'm doing in LazY Puppy (Puppy Linux). Just having fun, and trying to explore the undiscovered opportunities and possibilities of this generally wonderful piece of computer art.

I have Ideas, that I still can't get into some code, so I'm trying to publish some work that I was able to code and would be probably useful for other Puppy Linux users.

Who knows?

Maybe the developers did already recognize that *great stuff* -I can see some influence of some of my work done in the past three years in the new Slacko- but as stated it would need to be recoded.

That would be a huge amount of time.

Thanks for your posting,

RSH

bark_bark_bark

#81 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I personally am anti-"smart"tech.

stemsee

#82 Post by stemsee »

Generally I have about a dozen frugal install folders on my sda1 partition, having remastered LASSIE 002 to build the iso your script seems to use" find . type 'vmlinuz' 'initrd' exec cp {} /Lassie/iso/" with the result that I have quite a few vmlinuzes and initrds copied to the iso. Will lassie 003 use the same mechanism?

LazY Puppy

#83 Post by LazY Puppy »

I don't know what Script are you referring to.

More details please.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

wyzguy

#84 Post by wyzguy »

Lazy Puppy,

Ref: Your work on L.A.S.S.I.E

If you are using a recent KMS kernel (Kernel Mode Setting), you can get a
list of valid modes for each connected monitor.

fgrep "" /sys/class/drm/*/modes
fgrep "" /sys/class/drm/*/status will give you connected or not connected

The directory name above modes will give you the deviceid alias "cardx-"
(the deviceid used in lspci) and each output connector name HDMI,etc.

There are other files there also. For each valid mode (resolution), you get
(example: 1920x1080). You do not get the refresh rate since all lcd
monitors (like I have) always use a 60Hz refresh rate. I do not know if
this works on older crt type monitors.

Also check out Alphaos at alphaos.tuxfamily.org for more ideas.

rufwoof

#85 Post by rufwoof »

Haven't tried Lassie myself (yet), only just found this thread.

When I installed openshot under slacko I also had to include blender AND inkscape - as in the full blown version of inkscape not the cut down normal version that's included with most puppy's

inkscape is required to create scrolling titles in openshot

LazY Puppy

#86 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

I have updated the LazY Puppy Repository at smokey01.com.

Below is the List of SFS Modules new uploaded. Most are for L.A.S.S.I.E., some will work also in LazY Puppy (* = tested in LazY Puppy).

LP2_Blender-2.72-i686.sfs *
LP2_Drumstick-Tools_0.5.0-2-precise.sfs
LP2_Guitarix-0.20.2.sfs
LP2_JWildFire-2.00.sfs *
LP2_Mixxx-1.7.2-Lucid.sfs *
LP2_Muse-2.0.sfs
LP2_OcenAudio32-2.0.8.sfs
LP2_ProTrekkr-2.5.4.sfs
LP2_ShotWell_0.5.0.sfs *
LP2_SmartDeblur-1.27-fftw-3.3.2.sfs *
LP2_SoundFonts-MIDI-1.0.0.sfs *
LP2_SunVox-1.7.5.sfs *
LP2_Sunflow-0.07.2.sfs
LP2_SweetHome3d_3.4+dfsg-1-precise.sfs
LP2_Tintii-Photo-Filtres-2.8.2.sfs *
LP2_UrbanLightScape-Photo-Filtres-1.3.2.sfs *
LP2_VokoScreen-1.9.0-i386-precise.sfs
LP2_VokoScreen-2.0.0-i386.sfs
LP2_WXGTK-2.8.12-i686.sfs (dependency for tintii & urban lightscape)
LP2_Xournal-0.4.5.sfs
LP2_Xournal-0.4.8.sfs

If you are interested in doing some Music but do not own any musical-digital Instruments, I highly recommend: LP2_SunVox-1.7.5.sfs (try example 'Take my Hands' to get an impression of it).
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Griot

#87 Post by Griot »

Hello RSH.
Welcome back to the kennels!

Thank you for the updated packages and a big THANK YOU for your wonderful work with L.A.S.S.I.E. and Lazy Puppy.

P.S. SunVox - WOW!!! Never used it before but it seems like I'm going to make some weird noise for my trio. :twisted:

oui

#88 Post by oui »

LazY Puppy wrote:
oui wrote:Hi RSH
And they are great.
Thank you very much, oui! :)

I have Ideas, that I still can't get into some code, so I'm trying to publish some work that I was able to code and would be probably useful for other Puppy Linux users.

Who knows?

Maybe the developers did already recognize that *great stuff* -I can see some influence of some of my work done in the past three years in the new Slacko- but as stated it would need to be recoded.

That would be a huge amount of time.

Thanks for your posting,

RSH
Thank you very much Rainer, it is a great answer!

kind rgds

step

#89 Post by step »

LazY Puppy wrote: If you are interested in doing some Music but do not own any musical-digital Instruments, I highly recommend: LP2_SunVox-1.7.5.sfs (try example 'Take my Hands' to get an impression of it).
There's also an amusing collection of youtube video links near the bottom of this page http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Ted Dog

#90 Post by Ted Dog »

If your Friend has unexplained muscle weakness there is a specialist at Univ of Ulm, he helped me.

http://fakultaet.medizin.uni-ulm.de/

Department head contact sent

I WILL NOT PM YOU AGAIN YOU IGNORANT S.O.B. :shock:

Hi.

Sorry, but I have just removed your PM without to read it, since I do not read what is not posted for public, do not write what shall not be posted for the public or give any support by PM that would exclude the public anymore.

You are the 3rd or 4th User that I've had told this already. This is some sort of default or standard reply.

Thanks

LazY Puppy

#91 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ted Dog wrote:If your Friend has unexplained muscle weakness there is a specialist at Univ of Ulm, he helped me.

http://fakultaet.medizin.uni-ulm.de/
Thanks for this kinda support. I will submit the Link to his Family within the next days.
Ted Dog wrote:I WILL NOT PM YOU AGAIN YOU IGNORANT S.O.B. :shock:
Thanks for this kinda support, which is the exactly reason why I decided lately, not to read, not to reply and not to give support by PM anymore. So added to the List...
RSH

LazY Puppy

#92 Post by LazY Puppy »

RSH

Griot

#93 Post by Griot »

Hello, Rainer.

I'm trying to get to grips with LP2_Qtractor_0.5.4-1-precise.sfs and LP2_Muse-2.0.sfs but both keep complaining about JACK and/or 'snd-seq-midi' kernel module not being loaded.

Quick check via terminal:

Code: Select all

# less /proc/modules

snd_emu10k1_synth 4076 0 - Live 0xf841e000
snd_emux_synth 22972 1 snd_emu10k1_synth, Live 0xf843d000
snd_seq_midi_emul 3306 1 snd_emux_synth, Live 0xf841a000
snd_seq_virmidi 2732 1 snd_emux_synth, Live 0xf8c7e000
snd_emu10k1 102201 4 snd_emu10k1_synth, Live 0xf9c81000
snd_ac97_codec 77042 1 snd_emu10k1, Live 0xf8c36000
snd_usb_audio 75380 0 - Live 0xf8ad9000
snd_usbmidi_lib 12273 1 snd_usb_audio, Live 0xf8aad000
snd_pcm_oss 26945 0 - Live 0xf8a9b000

### AND

# lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by
iptable_mangle           896  0 
ipt_REJECT              1525  1 
nf_conntrack_ftp        4663  0 
nf_conntrack_irc        2595  0 
iptable_filter           768  1 
xt_state                 791  4 
nf_conntrack_ipv4       8174  4 
nf_conntrack           42245  4 nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_irc,xt_state,nf_conntrack_ipv4
nf_defrag_ipv4           811  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
ip_tables               7028  2 iptable_mangle,iptable_filter
nls_iso8859_2           3457  0 
nls_cp852               3705  0 
snd_emu10k1_synth       4076  0 
snd_emux_synth         22972  1 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul       3306  1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_virmidi         2732  1 snd_emux_synth
snd_emu10k1           102201  4 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_ac97_codec         77042  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_usb_audio          75380  0 
snd_usbmidi_lib        12273  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_pcm_oss            26945  0 
nouveau               726286  2 
snd_mixer_oss           9719  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                49809  6 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
ac97_bus                 714  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_util_mem            1479  2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc          4970  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep               3815  3 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_dummy            911  0 
drm_kms_helper         18983  1 nouveau,[permanent]
ttm                    36876  1 nouveau
drm                   152919  4 nouveau,drm_kms_helper,ttm
snd_seq_oss            19135  0 
snd_seq_midi            3212  0 
snd_seq_midi_event      3604  3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
mxm_wmi                 1031  1 nouveau
wmi                     5775  2 nouveau,mxm_wmi
video                   9468  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit            3659  1 nouveau
snd_rawmidi            12121  4 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                32145  9 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          3492  8 snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd_timer              11925  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq
uvcvideo               51647  0 
videobuf2_core         18049  1 uvcvideo
videodev               64085  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
videobuf2_vmalloc       1832  1 uvcvideo
videobuf2_memops        1087  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
snd                    34649  19 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
soundcore               3222  1 snd
usblp                   7562  0 
i2c_viapro              3939  0 
i2c_core               12529  6 nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,videodev,i2c_viapro
pcspkr                  1239  0 
via_rhine              15179  0 
via_agp                 4483  1 
agpgart                17727  3 ttm,drm,via_agp
shpchp                 17789  0 
evdev                   6640  0 
parport_pc             18335  0 
parport                20999  1 parport_pc
button                  3357  1 nouveau
processor              23207  0 
thermal_sys            11722  2 video,processor
hwmon                    877  2 nouveau,thermal_sys
fbcon                  28611  69 
font                    6952  1 fbcon
bitblit                 3494  1 fbcon
softcursor               817  1 bitblit
tileblit                1557  1 fbcon
fuse                   50594  0 
aufs                  122047  66 
squashfs               18829  4
I'm not sure, but to me it looks like all modules required for ALSA are up
and running. Is there anything that I'm missing? Also, when I try to unload Qtractor.sfs (via sfs_load_on_the_fly_2.2) an error message appears and it says that it can't be unloaded because some of the files are still in use.
:idea: I checked pmusic, deadbeaf and vlc after that and they were all 'deaf', no sound input was detected, though none of them reported any error about (missing/unknown) audio input.
Restarting X followed by an attempt to unload Qtractor didn't help either, only reboot managed to clear up the mess.
So, I really need some wise words on this.

One more thing. Do I need to load JACK, QT (other dependencies)
as a separate modules or these are already included in (all of) your LP2.sfs packages?

I'm looking forward to your answers.
Thanks, fellow drummer. ;)
Last edited by Griot on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

LazY Puppy

#94 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yes, you need to load LP2_QJackCtl_0.3.8-1-precise.sfs and after loading the SFS you need to execute qjackctl to be able to use QTractor/Muse.
(via sfs_load_on_the_fly_2.2)
Seems you have installed a new version of sfs_load?

Don't do this!

If you want/need to use a later version of sfs_load as it's installed, please post a link to the sfs_load package you want to use and make a request here. This needs to have some modifications for L.A.S.S.I.E. then!

Tough I don't see any needs for a newer version to be used.
RSH

Griot

#95 Post by Griot »

Thank you, Rainer.

That was fast! Looks like you were quicker with your answer than I was with
editing my post. :lol: Would you please take a look at it again?

Thank you.

Edit: No, I haven't changed anything, just miss-typed the version of sfs_load_on_the_fly. Sorry, my bad. :oops: