Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 10:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Wins & Losses With The Puppy Experience
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
Blackfish

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb 2014, 10:59    Post subject:  Wins & Losses With The Puppy Experience
Subject description: The Unexplained

I'm running Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on a Dell Latitude D531. I am booting up from USB stick, and things are really great.

Funny thing, but I got this computer from a guy who didn't like it and didn't want it anymore, said he could not get it to work properly. I brought the machine home and booted it up. It was running Windows XP, an illegal install. He told me he needed to use a USB wireless stick in order to connect to the Internet. I opened up the machine and saw the wireless card inside, and everything looked to be in order. I booted the machine again and looked into the set-up, and it is showing internal blue tooth, internal wifi, and wireless hot key. But when I booted up and ran Windows without the USB wireless stick, wireless would not connect. I pushed the wireless button on the keypad, thinking it was shut off, but the button does nothing. Hmmmmm...

Windows XP was completely corrupt on this machine, and so I washed it away and installed openSUSE GNOME. openSUSE did not see the wireless card and I could not connect to the Internet, nor could UBUNTU or MINT. But when I got Puppy and booted from the USB stick, I used Frisbee to connect to the Internet--and everything works perfectly.

WTF?

I have no idea what is going on here. Any takers? This one's got me completely baffled.

Next, I can't get Puppy to wipe out my hard drive and install itself, not even from the DVD. It says it is working and being installed, and at the end of the alleged install, the CD player even pops open, as though it is finished; but when I boot up after the alleged installation, it boots from the openSUSE I now have on the hard drive, and I don't see puppy anywhere. I am pretty sure I am picking the right hardware in the installation process. I don't really understand what is happening here either.

Help?
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb 2014, 14:45    Post subject:  

The normal (frugal) puppy installation is made to coexist with other installations, so it doesn't wipe anything when it installs. I am 80% sure that even a full install doesn't wipe anything, to avoid the possibility of destroying something you want to keep.

To wipe it, open gparted, delete the existing partitions and make new ones.
Then do your frugal install.
Make note of what it tells you the entry into the menu.1st file should be.

Finally, you'll need to install a boot manager. Everybody uses Grub4dos. This will create the menu.1st file and should automagically find you install.

If it doesn't find it, edit the menu.1st file manually to add the entry your made not of earlier.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: