Linux Newbie Here

Promote Puppy !
Blackfish

Linux Newbie Here

#1 Post by Blackfish »

Hi,
I've been using various Linux distros for almost two months now. It all started out innocently enough... I needed a new operating system and just wanted to have an alternative to Mac and Windows; didn't want to pay for another operating system or have to buy an expensive Apple computer. I had always heard about Linux over the years, and had always wanted to give it a shot, but the places I have worked just wouldn't have it; everyone and everything is on Windows, as usual. How perfectly boring.

Anyway, I soon found myself doing the some research into Linux, and ended up at Fry's Electronics in Las Vegas, NV, buying a book of UBUNTU 13.10...

I haven't been the same since...

UBUNTU hasn't really stuck with me, especially all that UNITY and ONE business, and so I burned a few more distros onto DVD and gave them all a shot, particularly MINT Cinnamon (which I love), and openSUSE GNOME (which I love even more). Two days ago, I was doing some more research and found Puppy Linux. I read all about it and burned it onto DVD (Precise Puppy 5.7.1), booted-up, and I am hooked. I am just having a blast with this distro!

I am in Thailand right now, and running some old equipment (I leave the good stuff at home when traveling abroad). These machines are ancient and 32-bit. A Toshiba and a Dell. I have MINT on one and openSUSE on the other. When I found Puppy, I thought, "Geez, which machine should I run Puppy on?" Answer: both. I run Puppy on both machines any time I feel like it. I can run Puppy on just about anything, matter of fact. I love how the entire operating system fits on my flash drive, boots up, loads into RAM and stays there, and I can remove the flash from the USB port--and keep right on working. I get a real kick out of that!

I was at a friend's house earlier today and asked him if I could use his desktop to check for an important message I needed to read, but he sadly informed me that his desktop was crashed (poor sap running Windows, of course). I told him it was no problem for me. I just whipped out my flash with Puppy on it, stuck it in the USB port, booted up, and went to work. He just stood there with his WTF? sort of look on his face and stared on. When I was finished, I fixed his computer for him. What I really wanted to do was wipe Windows away and install Linux, but he would have none of that. I guess, you can't win 'em all.

Anyway, I am having the time of my life with Linux in general and Puppy in particular. After almost two months of playing with Linux and trying to figure out which distro is best, I realize that it all comes down to one thing: the distro that is best is the distro that works best for ME, the one that fills all of my needs. Puppy is it! I absolutely love it. Glad to be here.

Now that I have a solid, general, basic grasp of all-things-Linux, my next adventure is to set to work and learn the commands and become a genuine Linux geek! So, feel free to pass along any good stuff I can read or watch to learn more about how this is done, if you care to. I would appreciate it very much.

Cheers!

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Blackfish:

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Plenty of varieties here to drool over.

Glad that you fixed your mates' PC.

But as I say...keep Windows...enjoy Puppy.

I have my Fix Windows how to here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58305

Some links and advice may be getting a little old....
but most of the advice is still valid.

Regards....Chris.