wireless arrgh!

lolcko

wireless arrgh!

#1 Post by lolcko »

Downloaded puppy4.1 and had trouble with my netgear wg111v2 usb wireless adapter. Was working flawlessly in 4.0 with NDISWrapper around the latest Netgear WinXP driver. Also had trouble with the same adapter and same module in Mandriva 2013 spring. The default module loaded was rtl8187 but it seemed I couldn't unload it in pup4.1. Any ideas?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Firstly, this probably belongs either in Hardware>Networking or in Beginner's Help.

DON'T START A NEW TOPIC. Our resident moderator, Flash, will move it if need be ;) If he doesn't move it, then I'm wrong and it fits here.

----------

Regarding your question -- I have a Netgear WG111v3 that's been in my junk bin for a long time. On Windows, it overheats and is slow. On Puppy, it overheats more and is slower.

Dunno what it is with those adapters, but as far as I'm concerned they're not worth whatever bother it would be to make them work. If you have some funds, go out and get a better card. Rosewill (sold primarily by Newegg[dot]com -- great computer parts site, BTW) is a very good brand for these, although basically anything that isn't Broadcom inside will work fine most of the time. (Broadcom makes things annoying for Linux users, and I'm pretty sure it's on purpose.)

Check with WikiDevi to see what driver the card uses (instructions below) and then check in Puppy to see if that driver is there. If you go to the Additional Software section of this forum, you'll notice a subforum labeled "Drivers" -- find the thread for Additional Drivers for Puppy 4.1.2 (or whatever version you have) and those SHOULD work.

To check with WikiDevi -- don't use their built-in search, it really stinks -- do this instead:
Go to Google (or your alternative search engine of choice).
Type in the make and model of your wireless card that you want to buy.
Type in a space and the word "wikidevi", without the quotes.
You should have something like this in the search box now:
Rosewill RNX-N150UBE wikidevi
Press [ENTER] or click the Search button or whatever. Somewhere in the first five results you should see a result from "wikidevi.com" -- that's what you want ;)
If using Google, beware of the stuff in the light yellow/tan box at the top of the search -- don't click on that gunk, it's just stupid ads.

ardvark

Re: wireless arrgh!

#3 Post by ardvark »

lolcko wrote:Downloaded puppy4.1 and had trouble with my netgear wg111v2 usb wireless adapter. Was working flawlessly in 4.0 with NDISWrapper around the latest Netgear WinXP driver. Also had trouble with the same adapter and same module in Mandriva 2013 spring. The default module loaded was rtl8187 but it seemed I couldn't unload it in pup4.1. Any ideas?
Hi...

Welcome to the forums :)

Please open a terminal and post the output of...

Code: Select all

lsusb
and...

Code: Select all

uname -r
I would like to see if it's possible to get a native driver working for you from one of the files around here, as starhawk mentioned. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

My WG111v3 was using the native drivers -- I've tried it in more than one Pup -- it stinks badly in all of them, and very slightly less (just enough to be noticeable) in Windows XP. Half the time in Puppy it'll die before it can connect to a network! It'll *find* the network, sure, but by the time you type in everything in eg Dougal's Wizard and click 'connect' -- it's gone sour and doesn't do its job. On the rare occasion that you actually can argue it into meaningful functionality -- it's slow as can be. It claims that it's doing WiFi "g" (54 Mbps) but I swear it never goes above "b" (11 Mbps) performance! Lying bastard piece of [...].

It's crap hardware, pretty much end-of-story. Hate to say it but it's true.

I've only had three wireless cards ever behave that badly. One is that Netgear. One was a Belkin stick from my pre-Linux days -- I swear you couldn't connect with a router sitting next to you! (I found out a year or two later that Belkin got a lot of grief from that model.) The third was an Edimax 'nano' style adapter that worked about like the Netgear one -- in Windows. In Linux it was known incompatible in the most frustrating way: it would connect to a network but then refuse to actually pipe data. I think that card I gave to someone but I'm not sure. Dunno what happened to the Belkin thing but I know I don't have it anymore. For some reason I've kept the Netgear...

Bottom line: it isn't going to provide any meaningful performance. There's no point in trying to make it work -- lolcko, I'm sorry, but you need a different adapter. That one is built not to work.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

Hi starhawk...

I thought it might be worth a shot since he said he had version 2 and that it worked flawlessly in Puppy 4.0 using ndiswrapper. :)

Regards...

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Make sure you got a good download and install of Puppy 4.1.
If you need a Puppy version that old, I suggest you try Puppy 4.3.1. It had a lot of bug fixes and improvements.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)