International parts source

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Sage

International parts source

#1 Post by Sage »

Several folks have raised the issue of sources for small electrical & electronics components, recently.
It transpires that RS Components now operates internationally. Try:
www.rs.components.com
and select continent.

marksouth2000

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

Sage, the URL you gave doesn't resolve for me.

Did you mean http://www.rselectronics.com/??

cherriepuppy

#3 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

i've beeen using www.rswww.com

cherriepuppy

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

The link I gave was copied directly from a link screen accessed from the index page given by CP. No idea why this kind of thing happens for some websites? Bad programming? Bad software? Hack avoidance? Anyway - use the index page.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I get an "Address not found" error from Sage's link.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

That's what I said - use the index page given by CP and drill down to the 'select continent' from within their links.

SnowDog

#7 Post by SnowDog »

Hi gang.
in the U.S there's digikey.com - (22,000 item catalog)

For tinkering types in Canada, that need odd or old things,

princessauto.com - (surplus section)
www.fcsurplus.com
solarbotics.com

I have more links, but not on this computer, so if you need some stuff that you can't find anywhere else, gimme a shout & I'll see what I can dig up.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

raffy

PuppyPC

#8 Post by raffy »

Guys, do you know that the only thing keeping a Via C3 motherboard (with soldered CPU) from working is a power supply? (C3 is just an example, AMD Geode is another.)

Someone can start gathering orders for boards and power supply and get that sub-$100 PuppyPC to users. 8)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

There are huge numbers of ATX PSU s being discarded that could often be repaired. Not much knowledge is required in many cases. Two types of fault condition prevail. Bad caps are obvious and can be resolved by cannibalising components from older scrap ie before the 'stolen electrolyte formula' scandal. Otherwise, the big power transistors, MOSFETs, crowbars screwed onto the heatsinks can blow - these need to be removed from circuit and tested with a meter (cheap, plastic DMM adequate). Often these can be replaced with equivalents cannibalised from similar units, although most have new equivalents. When these fail, they may take out their current-sharing emitter resistor and bypass diode, so check the small parts associated. Rarely, the fuse may need to be replaced. Any irrepairable units (about 10 - 20%) will be immediately obvious, but can still provide some useful spares.
However, Puppy enables SS7 and some C3 chassis to be run on older (and more reliable) AT PSU s. When requesting some of these, please state requirements in tons!