slow startup from cd

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

slow startup from cd

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I have Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 (005) running from a DVD-RW. My save file is located on sda7. When I boot from the DVD and select my save file from the list of two save files, I then get a copying from RAM loading the lupu_528.sfs file, where it takes about three minutes to finally load to the desktop.

Can someone explain to me why the startup is so slow and how can I make it faster so that it boots in less than a minute or better?

nic007

Re: slow startup from cd

#2 Post by nic007 »

rmcellig wrote:I have Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 (005) running from a DVD-RW. My save file is located on sda7. When I boot from the DVD and select my save file from the list of two save files, I then get a copying from RAM loading the lupu_528.sfs file, where it takes about three minutes to finally load to the desktop.

Can someone explain to me why the startup is so slow and how can I make it faster so that it boots in less than a minute or better?
That's because it's copying the main sfs from the DVD into RAM and that takes time. You can try placing a copy of the sfs file on the hard drive partition where your save file is. BTW, why not just do a frugal install to hard drive as it does not look as if you are using the DVD for multi-sessioning?

Dewbie

#3 Post by Dewbie »

Sometimes this depends on the computer.
For example, Puppy CDs boot faster in my P2 / 350 than they do in the family P4 / 2.2G.
(the opposite of what one might assume...)

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Hi Dewbie,
Could your P2 have an aftermarket disc reader while your P4 came with a DVD device built-in?

@Rmcellig
@Nic007's post will work to speed things along. I also think that there is a boot option of pfix=nocopy which will also speed things up when booting from the DVD.

Here to help

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

gcmartin wrote:
Could your P2 have an aftermarket disc reader while your P4 came with a DVD device built-in?

The P2 has an aftermarket burner that reads at 40x.
The P4 has an original CD-ROM. I'm not sure what the read speed is, but can't imagine it being that much slower.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Dewbie wrote:..The P4 has an original CD-ROM. I'm not sure what the read speed is, but can't imagine it being that much slower.
You P4 is a rare one. Most every P4 came with DVDs. But, there is probably an explanation why your p2 with IDE channeling is faster thru the processor to screen than your P4. Might want to look at how P4 is cabled to the bus.

Hope this helps you to an explanation.

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

gcmartin wrote:
You P4 is a rare one. Most every P4 came with DVDs.
Are you referring to "boutique" machines? :lol:

Dell Dimension 2400s were dime-a-dozen; mostly barebones.
Ours shipped with XP and 128MB RAM...:shock:...and IDE.
At the time, there was a charge for every upgrade.