How to increase save file in lina 1.2?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
benaround

How to increase save file in lina 1.2?

#1 Post by benaround »

Please. When I select 'increase size in save file' in Lina Lite 1.2 non PAE upon the first boot it increases it but on subsequent selection it ignores it at reboot. How do I repair this?
Thank you.
Kind regards.
Benaround

musher0

Re: How to increase save file in lina 1.2?

#2 Post by musher0 »

benaround wrote:Please. When I select 'increase size in save file' in Lina Lite 1.2 non PAE upon the first boot it increases it but on subsequent selection it ignores it at reboot. How do I repair this?
Thank you.
Kind regards.
Benaround
Hello, Benaround.

There's nothing to repair, really. You already have a pupsave file of 8 Gigabytes ?! :o
Wow! Why do you need such a large pupsave file?

I don't use Lina, but I've been through its docs for another project, and I know that's it's
especially made to run with a really small pupsave file, maybe even as small of 64 Mb,
because it uses what's called an "adrive".

Besides, on any Puppy, with a pupsave file of say only 768 Mb, you should have lots
of room to spare if:

1) you load the additional sfs's correctly (such as the ones for OpenOffice, SMPlayer,
and the like; some of those are already in the Lina "adrive", BTW), and

2) you put the "growing" folders in /root, such as

Desktop/
Downloads/
my-applications/
my-documents/
.mozilla (or .opera)
.thumbnails

inside a separate "My-stuff" folder on your /mnt/home partition. (This partition must have
been formatted to a Linux format such as ext2, however.) Then you bring those folders
back in /root as symlinks, with each their own symlink.

And voilà ! That's how Mr. & Mrs Smith keep their pupsave file small ! :D

Finally... sorry to be so blunt concerning your initial question: I do know how to make a
30G pupsave file, but I won't tell you! :lol: (Hoping you have a sense of humor!)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)