Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
rtl8188eu for lupu 5.28?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
carocl

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2014, 17:49    Post subject:  rtl8188eu for lupu 5.28?
Subject description: Need driver for TL-WN725N mini-USB Wireless that works in lupu 5.28

I'm a Mint 15 user and a Lupu newbie whose Puppy knowledge tops out at downloading pets.

I've installed lupu 5.28 on USB to my Dell Inspiron 1150 that has no HD or wireless card. It works great and connects well wired through eth0, but I want to add wireless (no wireless options show up in the wizard, of course), so I ordered the TP-Link TL-WN725N mini-USB adapter after reading that some users had found it to be easily linux compatible. My puppy machine doesn't see it, though, and research uncovered the need for the rtl8188eu driver (at least--don't know about firmware etc). That driver has been supported in linux since the 3.12 kernel, apparently, but 5.28 lupu uses 2.something. So:

--I haven't been able to find this driver for this build. Is it available?

--Is it possible/advisable to try to upgrade the kernel? Is it possible/advisable when running from USB?

--If not, is there a better USB solution for lupu 5.28? This adapter was very cheap so I don't mind replacing it with something else that's also cheap. (I prefer mini as it would live in the machine and the slots are in the back.)

--If not, is there another Puppy build that would work better with USB wireless and work as well in my machine? I really like this Puppy as it's very nimble from USB (with 1G ram).

All help/info appreciated.
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 01:45    Post subject:  

carocl,
This appears to be the place to get the source code and instructions on how to modify it for older kernels. When I can get to it, I hope to build the modified version for lupu 5.2.8.6.
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu

The download is at the "Download ZIP" button, which links to here:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/archive/master.zip

The modification instructions are here:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/commit/c2741d0becef4c883b8be501a97b194142f857bb
Richard
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 02:39    Post subject: Re: rtl8188eu for lupu 5.28?
Subject description: Need driver for TL-WN725N mini-USB Wireless that works in lupu 5.28

carocl wrote:
I'm a Mint 15 user and a Lupu newbie whose Puppy knowledge tops out at downloading pets.

I've installed lupu 5.28 on USB to my Dell Inspiron 1150 that has no HD or wireless card. It works great and connects well wired through eth0, but I want to add wireless (no wireless options show up in the wizard, of course), so I ordered the TP-Link TL-WN725N mini-USB adapter after reading that some users had found it to be easily linux compatible. My puppy machine doesn't see it, though, and research uncovered the need for the rtl8188eu driver (at least--don't know about firmware etc). That driver has been supported in linux since the 3.12 kernel, apparently, but 5.28 lupu uses 2.something. So:

--I haven't been able to find this driver for this build. Is it available?

--Is it possible/advisable to try to upgrade the kernel? Is it possible/advisable when running from USB?

--If not, is there a better USB solution for lupu 5.28? This adapter was very cheap so I don't mind replacing it with something else that's also cheap. (I prefer mini as it would live in the machine and the slots are in the back.)

--If not, is there another Puppy build that would work better with USB wireless and work as well in my machine? I really like this Puppy as it's very nimble from USB (with 1G ram).

Hi...

If you want to stay with Lupu, there are wireless adapters that should work with it. I recently answered the same question with another gentleman here. You could try Netgear's WN111v2 available at Amazon. Smile

Trying out another version of Puppy is something else you could do if you would rather save the money, instead. I'm partial to Precise Puppy as it offers access to Ubuntu's repositories and more software options. I use version 5.6.1 but the newest is 5.7.1. But there are others, such as Slacko 5.6 and other flavors.

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
carocl

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 17:01    Post subject:  

Thanks for letting me know about your plans, rerwin; if you wouldn't mind dropping a reply here when you post the link to your driver download, I'd appreciate it very much. It looks like quite a project.

Thank you for the pointer to that thread, ardvark. The mini USB and driver mentioned in that thread also look very promising (and suitably inexpensive!) I think I may try that, and/or rerwin's driver, before I change my puppy, but I'll take a look at your recommendations for those, too.

Thanks for all the input! As I said, I'm a complete newbie, so all info is good info and very much appreciated.
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 18:54    Post subject:  

carocl wrote:
Thank you for the pointer to that thread, ardvark. The mini USB and driver mentioned in that thread also look very promising (and suitably inexpensive!) I think I may try that, and/or rerwin's driver, before I change my puppy, but I'll take a look at your recommendations for those, too.

Thanks for all the input! As I said, I'm a complete newbie, so all info is good info and very much appreciated.

You're welcome, glad to help. Smile

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Regards...
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: