Portable SeaMonkey

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Eathray

#76 Post by Eathray »

Well, that all took some time. I think I have it all complete but a lot of that I had to do manually. C'est difficile, my friends.

So I have removed the built in SeaMonkey, put the Portable in opt, symlynked to /usr/bin, created the menu entries, created the defaultbroswer and htmleditor scripts... I think It's done... am I missing anything?

anikin

#77 Post by anikin »

Eathray wrote:Well, that all took some time. I think I have it all complete but a lot of that I had to do manually. C'est difficile, my friends.

So I have removed the built in SeaMonkey, put the Portable in opt, symlynked to /usr/bin, created the menu entries, created the defaultbroswer and htmleditor scripts... I think It's done... am I missing anything?
The word Portable in this discussion sounds a bit ambigious/confusing, because the original, built in Seamonkey in your Puppy was also portable, I think, although it resided at a different location. Seamonkey, Tor Browser, Palemoon - they all by definition are built as Portable apps. So I presume you meant to say you put the seamonkey directory in /opt. If that is the case, then you done good. As for doing things manually, of course the right way to symlink would be like:

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey
maybe I should edit my post and also add this command.

Eathray

#78 Post by Eathray »

anikin,

I didn't use the code to make my symlink, but I did call it from the console and it loads, so it works.

Thanks all for the help. I guess I'm done.

Pelo

seamonkey 2.46 stored in my pendrive.

#79 Post by Pelo »

seamonkey stored in my pendrive. Is that true that will slow the browser ?
I am pleased by the idea of not occupying my pupsave, and it will be used by several Puppies. Other applications should run the same way..
I was running SeaMonkey by SFS on the fly, but that does not prevent cache and other things.

Mercedes350se

#80 Post by Mercedes350se »

Everything seemed to go well but:

Code: Select all

/mnt/home/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey-portable 
HOME=/mnt/home/seamonkey-portable-0.5 /mnt/home/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey/seamonkey 
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /initrd/mnt/dev_save/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libX11-xcb.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
This is on a frugal install of 4.3.1. I installed both

dbus-1.2.14-i486.pet and

dbus-glib-0.80-i486.pet