Portable SeaMonkey

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
slavvo67

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

Shep:

The interesting thing about these portable browsers is they can be carried on a USB and in theory, attached to any puppy. So if you run 5 different live puppies, you can USB the browser and either (1) click the Icon in the USB file to launch or (2) Use the right click to register the portable browser into your puppy's menu. Of course, you would need to do this each time if you're running live.

Also, if you're running with a USB or install, you can still remove menu entries with the Puppy Package Manager (it shows up there).

As you can see from my post above, I had a few small issues with the right click "register with your puppy" but this might only be in my version of puppy. Don't know for sure.

Shinobar: I would love it if you could look into those register issues but I realize there are much more pressing items. Either way, thanks for the nice portable browsers.

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

What is different from Seamonkey Portable and the way I use it with different Pups booted?
I move the hidden /root/.mozilla directory to /mnt/home and then system link to it from root.
In each version of Puppy, I rename the hidden mozilla directory and create a system link to .mozilla on /mnt/home.
That way, all my bookmarks and associated passwords are available to all Puppies.
I could have similarly put the .mozilla directory on a flash drive and system linked to it there.
One could even use a start_Seamonkey script that would mount the flash drive, start seamonkey, and upon exiting seamonkey, umount the flash drive.

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Well, the words "user-friendly" and "convenient" come to mind. I'm sure your way works somewhat similar but not all of us maintain this expertise nor have interest in taking these extra steps.

I was fine with the full installs but this is a nice addition. This is a well thought out application that I'm sure many users would appreciate.

TIW

Portable SeaMonkey 0.4

#19 Post by TIW »

Hi shinobar
I am unable to download my mail from my gmail account, however I do not have any problems in sending my mail. I have checked my settings but cannot find anything wrong. What can I do about it ?
Thanks for your help.

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

TIW:

Can I suggest using the portable Chrome?

Best,

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#21 Post by slavvo67 »

Shinobar,

Have you considered expanding Seamonkey to include the Seamonkey Composer HTML editor and the Seamonkey Address Book?

Best,

Slavvo

vicmz

#22 Post by vicmz »

Spanish locale

EDIT
xml attached as well
Attachments
AppInfo.xml.gz
rename removing false .gz
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
seamonkey-portable.mo.gz
rename removing false .gz
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

partsman

#23 Post by partsman »

Thanks for this shinobar :wink:
Works perfect for multiple puppy installs and multi-session cd installs :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

shinobar

seamonkey-portable-0.5

#24 Post by shinobar »

UPDATE: seamonkey-portable-0.5.tar.gz (2014-07-26)
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

Fix was messing up seamonkey is build on /mnt/home but run with RAM mode or run from other Puppy on other partition.
Some fix importing mailbox.
Add spanish translation(vicmz).
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

slavvo67

#25 Post by slavvo67 »

In theory, these are portables are supposed to work with every puppy once created. However, I found discrepancies with that statement. For example, after creating on Fluxpup, I've tried using on Barry's T2 and received the following:

Google Chrome Installer 0.7: fatal ERROR

Next libraries missing:
libudev.so.0 => not found

Mind you, this is the Google Chrome Portable but it seems to be happening in all except the Opera Portable for some reason.

shinobar

#26 Post by shinobar »

slavvo67 wrote:Mind you, this is the Google Chrome Portable but it seems to be happening in all except the Opera Portable for some reason.
Right. All the Portable series do not run with all the Puppy.
Note is documented for each applications individual.
As for the seamonkey-portable, it says 'May works with most of Puppy 5.x. Some Puppy need dbus and dbus-glib to run seamonkey official build.'
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

slavvo67

#27 Post by slavvo67 »

Shinobar,

Have you given any more consideration to adding Seamonkey Composer to the Portable Seamonkey? Personally, I can't uninstall Seamonkey and rely on the portable because of the additional programs. Specifically, the composer.

Thanks for considering,

Slavvo67

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

Shinobar - thank you for portable Seamonkey. I am using an old slacko (version 5.3.3t also known as ThinSlacko) and recently I have been unable to correctly access my Mediafire account with Namaroka Firefox, or Opera. I tried your portable Google Chrome but it would not run (NSS and GLIBC version errors) so I tried this Seamonkey and it works well. I can now access Mediafire ok again.
Thank you!

marcos90

#29 Post by marcos90 »

Thanks Shinobar . I'm using Seamonkey and Firefox on Precise 5.7.1 , and so far , so good for using almost for five days .

nic007

#30 Post by nic007 »

Can someone with the know how build a BROWSER ONLY version of Seamonkey please or is it possible to install only the browser part?

gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

Happy Holidays, @Nic007,

Firefox is the browser of Seamonkey. Seamonkey is everything of browser, web editor, email, etc of intems relating to normal internet use. FF was split off (mail too) into separate package and releases as such. I remember that the author of SeaMonkey was a BIG part of the Mozilla team and continues to be (I believe). Like BarryK, that author does lead with some excellent ideas in SeaMonkey's all inclusive packaging.

Hope this is helpful

anikin

#32 Post by anikin »

gcmartin wrote:Firefox is the browser of Seamonkey. Seamonkey is everything of browser, web editor, email, etc of intems relating to normal internet use. FF was split off (mail too) into separate package and releases as such. I remember that the author of SeaMonkey was a BIG part of the Mozilla team and continues to be (I believe). Like BarryK, that author does lead with some excellent ideas in SeaMonkey's all inclusive packaging

Hope this is helpful
Firefox is NOT the browser of Seamonkey.
Components

SeaMonkey consists of a web browser (SeaMonkey Navigator), which is a descendant of the Netscape family, an e-mail and news client program (SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups, which shares code with Mozilla Thunderbird), an HTML editor (SeaMonkey Composer) and an IRC client (ChatZilla).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#33 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello,
I am attempting to update Seamonkey 2.6.1 on Wary 5.5 to Seamonkey (most currrent) which today is 2.39.
I have downloaded Seamonkey-Portable.05.

I am receiving this information:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey-portable
HOME=/mnt/home/seamonkey-portable-0.5 /mnt/home/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey/seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /initrd/mnt/dev_save/seamonkey-portable-0.5/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

How do I correct in order to get Seamonkey 2.39 to run in Wary 5.5?

NOTE: I have tried and failed multiple times in downloading 2.39 tar file from Seamonkey site.
I've attempted to extract to /usr/lib.
The results are the desktop browse icon no longer activates any Seamonkey.
The only way I now can activate Seamonkey 2.6.1 is through /usr/lib/ run Seamonkey.

Machine:
Toshiba Satellite 1416-S116
RAM=512Mb
Swap=2GB
Puppy:
Wary 5.5 Kernel 2.6.32.59

Thank you for your assistance in advance.
Attachments
PortableLogPlacement1.png
(26.68 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
PortableProperties.png
(41.75 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

666philb

Re: Portable SeaMonkey

#34 Post by 666philb »

Sky Aisling wrote: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
hi Sky Aisling,

dbus-glib should be in warys PPM try typing it into the find box
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#35 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello 666philb,

Thank you, I installed dbus-glib from PPM.
The results are the desktop icon now activates Seamonkey 2.6.1
Desktop icon not finding Seamonkey 2.39.

Note:
Why I am updating is that I need to put an adblocker onto Seamonkey. Adblock Plus won't work with 2.6.1. This machine is going to a tech-adverse senior who needs to see an uncluttered page.
Attachments
Installed-dbus-glib1.png
(13 KiB) Downloaded 340 times