FireFox 27 preconfigured

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
8Geee

FireFox 27 preconfigured

#1 Post by 8Geee »

I've run into a few folks over time that are just having a heck of a time getting a browser to surf/bank/buy. Some are here in puppyland, others are locals, friends, neighbors, etc.

The preconfigured firefox27 using xz compression can be D/L to root. The old browser can be removed from usr and root, and this one can be extracted in root. The desktop icon has to be removed, and the 'firefox' gear in dot mozilla needs to be dragged to desktop.

This is therefore a modular design, a couple of clicks removes .mozilla and the root/.cache/mozilla files. Dirt simple removal.

https://archive.org/details/firefox2701

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

scientist

#2 Post by scientist »

Firefox and SeaMonkey have no problems surf/bank/buy. ??
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Doesn't open for me in Slacko 6.3.0.6. The error message I get is attached.
When I reopened regular firefox afterwards, it changed all my settings and removed my Back button though. Heh.

my firefox2701.txz md5 was: b8391129e31e1e38ba890e34c15f0527
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(13.19 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

If you installed this version on top of an already existing version, you got problems. The other one was to be removed first, as this one overwites the root/(dot)mozilla file. This version is in rroot/dot mozilla ONLY, and needs to be launched from the firefox 'gear' in root/dot mozilla.

Bad download/torrent

md5sum= a7ad5d2a943ab3e3b95fa96e6aead7e1

Duplicates b/4 and after my upload

EDIT ***DO NOT USE the FF2701 in Puppy Package Manager... this is not mine, and is broken.***

download from archive.org only
I see I needed to be more clear as to where to put the xz file... it goes in /root

EDIT#2 *** see this post. its that xpcom stuff again :roll:
Last edited by 8Geee on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

scientist wrote:Firefox and SeaMonkey have no problems surf/bank/buy. ??
The default settings in about:config need adjusting; some https schemes are crackable, and need to be "false". The minimum security needs to be upgraded. The browser helpers need to be removed, Auto update needs to be turned off, else you go straight to FF44 default (not good, and has even more stuff that needs fixing), and many other nags, bugs, and problems. If you want to fix all of that be my guest. I spent a few hours getting this version cleaned up, and newer FF browsers have more bloat that needs fixing.

Belham

a few questions

#6 Post by Belham »

Hi 8Geee,

Had a few questions. First one is: what the difference between these two uploads of yours on archive.org?

December 1, 2015 https://archive.org/details/ff2701txz
and
April 9, 2016 https://archive.org/details/firefox2701

Are there further tweak and/or add-ons between these two FF 27 versions looking at the April 9 build? If so, what are they??

Next question, your Slacko 5.7-2016 Puppy version, good stuff! It sure has a tight FF in it, haha. I should know. Usually I have to go into about:config in every firefox to change/disable a lot of stuff, and I looked at your changes, and I thought: "dang, he basically does nearly every one that I do...so, good job!!. Anyhow, my question here is: is the FF27 in your Slacko-5.7 2016 different from the two listed above?

Lastly, thought I'd offer up this, not sure it will help you, though> Have you had any luck compiling an i686 openssl 1.0.2g? I mainly use 64-bit Puppies---Tahrpup64, Slacko64, and Barry's Quirky Werewolf64 (all openssl versions were updated on these, but getting Werewolf's to compile & install correctly was a bit of a pain)...anyhow, if you haven't had any success, thought I'd post this link I found. Guy seems to compile some good stuff (provisio: only judging by comments on the site, and what he listed/wrote), but I do think his 32-bit pre-compiled 1.0.2g could go into your Slacko 5.7 with just a few tweaks. The fact he also puts the source code, a batch script, and patches right there, are a real bonus in my honest opinion. Here's the link:

http://www.npcglib.org/~stathis/blog/pr ... d-openssl/

Further along this line of thought, if the above doesn't work, I wonder if it would be possible to get or use this Arch i686 openssl 1.0.2.g-3 into your Slacko 5.7 build? Here's the link:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/openssl/

Anyhow, thanks for any replies to the above. I have an old HP Atom Mini laptop, and it truly struggles with anything 64-bit. Had always used Barry's 32-bit 5.7 PuppyLinux (2012) via an SD card, but let all this go by the wayside over the past year as I needed to update it or move on & leave it behind. Figured I didn't want to mess with it or the laptop anymore, but then recently stumbled across your updated slacko 5.7 build with all basic patches needed to be up to date. So, I downloaded it, gave it whirl, and now that ole' laptop is back in rotation for enjoyable surfing when all the other people in the house have stolen and/or are using my other machines. Thanks :wink:

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

The Dec. 2015 version is just a little different. IIRC I had to change a few security things. Since the FF pdf reader was insecure, I got the notion that maybe anything that gets displayed, like warnings, might be a problem. So now a gui box pops up in the new version.

For example "cant connect to abcxyz.com' uses a popup window instead of displaying as a 'webpage'. I removed two ssl methods because I thought 'forward-secrecy' should be the normal. Believe it or not, after 4 months of daily use, I found one website that rejected my attempts to view their page... cox.com.

The latest version 'firefox2701' is in all of the most recent builds slacko5.7-2016a, slacko5.7-2016eee2 and mini-eee. So they are 'hand-in-hand' replacements. This new version has the two ssl schemes as above falsed, and cox.com rejected me. LOL This popped up as 'interrupted while loading' error.

The Fix... in about config type ssl, and scroll down to

security.ssl.rsa_aes_128_sha
security.ssl.rsa_aes_256_sha

and double-click each one to make these two 'TRUE'

So the newest April 9 version is in all my latest builds, no difference. Some older Firrefox versions should be upgraded to this new version because it handles security MUCH better than DEFAULT. And like you, I did some heavy lifting for those that can't.

Well, as for openssl 1.0.2 theres a thread by that title. Some one in Germany has a pet, but loads in the wrong place. I also did a direct tar-gz download from slackware and discovered the same problem. Puppies do some unique stuff, and it needs to be sorted out by folks better than me. But the problem still remains that by 1/2017 openssl 1.0.1 is no longer going to be supported. It may take a while here to migrate.

IMHO slacko5.7 (2 years old) is a good build in general, stuff just works. I can help by keeping the old netbooks alive a little longer... they are not broken, and need some support. NB's are fine for general surfing and O/L bank and buy if someone maintains an OS for them. Puppy fits this situation very well and slacko5.7 is a good puppy for NB's. Everything I've done here is while using an EEEpc900a (Mid-2008). /MHO

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

The security error in the above post has also been posted in the distro slacko5.7-2016eee2 thread