Will the Death of Windows XP Create an ATM Crisis?

For discussions about security.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Will the Death of Windows XP Create an ATM Crisis?

#1 Post by Flash »

http://www.americanbanker.com/video/wil ... 321-1.html
January 30, 2014

Microsoft is scheduled to stop supporting Windows XP, the operating system inside most ATMs, on April 8. Diebold chief executive Andy Mattes weighs in on the impact to the industry.
FWIW, Diebold also makes electronic voting machines.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

I am guessing that the Banks reboot these systems into a new OS installed by remote servers then,
or have special contracts that makes their Automatic Teller Machine s's XP a special XP that you cannot purchase as simple customer from Windows so they might be some kind of Windows Server OS.

And I can confirm that I once saw my "daily" ATM rebooting into XP with the usual XP splash screen and progress bar we all know by common USER XP after it presented it's blue screen of stumbling.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

According to the Diebold CEO, one bank has already moved all of its ATMs to Windows 7. :lol: I suppose if nothing bad happens to that maverick, the rest will soon follow his trail into the promised land of big bonus checks.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Always was surprised to find XP used in embedded systems anyway.

I went for an interview at a company that makes robot soldering machines and they did the same. I guess they will hand over the cash too...its not just the software but the hardware changes to support it that bump the price up.

And all for nothing really..XP I am sure could carrying on doing the simple job for decades...not like you are going to browse the net with a cash machine.
My stash of useful software will keep on running as long as electricity is available ...

Conforming makes money...that's why companies want staff that don't think for themselves as they might mention that such upgrades are a waste of money. Some cute little embedded linux could do the job too.

mike