Show us your puppies

Promote Puppy !
belham2

#106 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Anyone know how to make realistic Trek icons? Like in Bigpup's post above, but better? I want to see if its possible to make all the parititons appearing on the desktop look like Klingon Birds of Prey, and then when you click on them, they turn "red" like they're being fired upon. I know 8Geee has three colors goin in his excellent desktop parition icons, depending on their state/status. Anyone know how we can do it for Trekkies?

bigpup

#107 Post by bigpup »

Do a Google search for Star Trek or Klingon icons.

Maybe these :idea:

Had to put .zip on end of names to get them to load on the forum as downloads.
Just delete the .zip on the names to turn them into png image files.
Attachments
Bird Of Prey icon icon2.png
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Bird Of Prey icon icon1.png
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
BirdOfPreyicon2.png.zip
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
BirdOfPreyicon1.png.zip
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

belham2

#108 Post by belham2 »

Thanks, Bigpup :wink: Yours came out a heck of a lot better than the ones I found. I used mtpaint to try and shrink them down, but they came out like garbage in xenialpup64. Will give yours a whirl. Trying to build the perfect Trek Final Frontier Puppy distro. Thanks again!

bigpup

#109 Post by bigpup »

I got it this much for hard drives.

It is going to take a little icon tweaking to come up with replacement for other type drives.
Attachments
capture11097.jpg
(31.01 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

souleau

#110 Post by souleau »

I just traced a jpeg of a Bird of Prey in Inkscape and cleaned it up a little. So now you have the contour of one in svg format.

It's archived in tar because you're not allowed to post a svg to this forum directly.

If you are familiar with svg format, they are quite suitable to be used as icons, it's basically just xml code, and you can change it to any color you want.
Attachments
birdofprey.png
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
birdofprey.tar.gz
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

belham2

#111 Post by belham2 »

souleau wrote:I just traced a jpeg of a Bird of Prey in Inkscape and cleaned it up a little. So now you have the contour of one in svg format.

Thank you, Souleau!! :D

rufwoof

#112 Post by rufwoof »

souleau wrote:Here's a link to a couple of pages featuring computer interfaces in science fiction.

http://sciencefictioninterfaces.tumblr.com/

Quite inspiring!
Thanks souleau

Limbomusic

my

#113 Post by Limbomusic »

To original poster: Here is my cave :-) (right now)
http://helledussen.com/nuh/cave.jpg

Mike Walsh

#114 Post by Mike Walsh »

@belham2:-

Re: 'Bird of prey' drive icons

However your drive icons are constructed, don't forget that you need to link them (or use them to replace) the drive icon states in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps. This is how I did it when I made up some different drive icon sets a while back.

You've not only got to replace 'drive48.png', 'drive_mntd48.png' and 'drive_mntd_boot48.png' (for normal drive partitions), but 'usbdrv48.png', 'usbdrv_mntd48.png' and 'usbdrv_mntd_boot48.png' (for flash drives), and 'optical48.png', 'optical_mntd48.png' & 'optical_mntd_boot48.png' (for CD/DVD drives).

Basically, it's three states (unmounted, mounted, and mounted/home partition) for each of 3 different drive types. You can add further drive icon states/types (SD cards, or floppies, for instance), although I didn't bother with this in the sets I made, since my SD cards will plug through a USB adapter.....and I haven't even seen a floppy drive since I can't remember when! It's a little bit more complicated than it looks initially; I painstakingly made up each drive icon state in Mooi's 'PhotoScape', running under WINE; it works really well for this kinda thing.

Your other problem is that Rox will always reduce your icons down to 48x48 px; you don't see much detail. (And you've picked a bloody complicated shape..!!)

If you want, I'll see if I can make you up a set the way you want them.....but don't rush me. I do have 'a life', y'know!

Let me know one way or the other, please.

Mike. :wink:

rufwoof

#115 Post by rufwoof »

Klingon drive icon theme ... cloaked :) But visible file pcmanfm's side panel.
Attachments
s1.png
(187.6 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
s2.png
(114.66 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
s3.png
(192.09 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#116 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, belham2.

Now, then. I've been doing a spot of design stuff... Bearing in mind your requirements, and the fact that I think a 'button-style' icon would be more in keeping with the general Trekkie theming here, what d'you think of these?

If you like the look of them, here's a .pet to install 'em for you. It'll replace the regular 'state' icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps. Click to install, then sweep your cursor across the drive icons, and watch 'em change! Tested, and guaranteed to work...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l9543jy3n ... ns_set.pet

(You might need to restart 'X', but I don't think you'll need to...)

To revert to the original icons, uninstall, and sweep across again.....or restart 'X', whichever you prefer.

belham2

#117 Post by belham2 »

Dam#, I was just getting ready to post to say that I was good for icons, and thank you, as I am using souleau's great svg file, but then I see what rufwoof posted and I just now saw what Mike just posted, and I am like :shock: . Mine looks like, uhmmm, to be nice, crap next to what you guys are doing.

So I have summarily deleted what I was doing, and I am now downloading your .pet, Mike...Many, many thank you(s) :D :wink: . Rufwoof, how'd you do that with pcmanfm?! Can you share, or is there too many steps involved? Lol, this is the most fun I've had with decorating a pup up in probably a year or more. I am dead set on joining the Federation! 8)

bigpup

#118 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh,

Wow!!

Those icons look really, really fantastic!!

rufwoof,

Where are you getting those backgrounds?
Most of what I am finding are already somewhat filled in.
I would like to just have the background, I guess template, and fill it in from scratch.
That is what you seem to be doing.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to make all the windows look like what you show for Htop or have a Star Trek style edging :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#119 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh,

One problem with your icons.
No unmount tab when they are mounted.
The tab that shows at top right of the icon, when mounted, that you can click on to unmount.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#120 Post by Mike Walsh »

@bigpup:-

Glad you like 'em, mate. That was just a bit of fun for me, TBH; this is the kinda thing I've been doing on & off for something like nearly 35 years now. I've got so much material stored away on various drives all over the place, it's just a case of looking for it..!

@belham2:-

I hope that's the kinda thing you were talking about, yes? Turning red when mounted? I was in 2 minds as to whether the whole button should change colour, or just the 'Bird-of-prey'... Choice #1 won out in the end; shows up better.

Mike Walsh

#121 Post by Mike Walsh »

@bigpup:-

Mm. I had thought of that.....after the fact. But if you click on the rim at the half-past one position, it'll still unmount. There's something else in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps that makes that happen, a kind of 'transparent overlay', linked to pMount. I've been trying to figure that one out for a long time....

Right; here ya go. A re-worked .pet, with modified icons, now showing the unmount 'x':-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eec3lxzt2 ... _set_2.pet

Like this:-

Any better?

Like you, I, too, am finding the wallpapers are already filled in somewhat. But I've simply used Mooi's PhotoScape under WINE to block out the bits I don't want with an opaque black rectangle.....and then I do what I want with 'em. I figured I might as well join in the fun, so.....what d'you think? I know it's not very good.....

("Rubbish..!", I hear y'all say....)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#122 Post by bigpup »

Thanks!
I will try that in a minute.

I was wondering why your pet package was so big.

I looked at the size of the icons.
I resized them to 48X48 and re-petted (is that a word :lol: ).

I got a pet package of 46K

Icons seem to work OK that size.

Now I will have to update my pet package to add the new icons.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#123 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, aye; I'll grant you, you can make 'em a hell of a lot smaller.....but you lose all detail that way. I make them the size I do for a reason.....so the detail is sharp. Rox auto-resizes them anyway.....but then of course, I'm largely making them for myself. I'm not worrying about package size.....but I know you like to adhere to Puppy 'principles', and keep everything as small as possible.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#124 Post by bigpup »

I posted about the time you did.

This in no way is finding fault with your fine work!!!!
Just that 48 size icons are suppose to be 48X48.
That is kind of Puppy standard.

Right; here ya go. A re-worked .pet, with modified icons, now showing the unmount 'x':-
Yes, Very good!!
That did it.

If you do not mind I re-petted to 48X48 icon size.

Looks very detailed to me!
This picture does not really show it that well.
Had to resize to get it to show in forum.
Attachments
capture5463.png
(35.99 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Trekkie-Bird_of_Prey-drive_icons_set_2.pet
(47.16 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.

rufwoof

#125 Post by rufwoof »

bigpup wrote:rufwoof,

Where are you getting those backgrounds?
Most of what I am finding are already somewhat filled in.
I would like to just have the background, I guess template, and fill it in from scratch.
That is what you seem to be doing.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to make all the windows look like what you show for Htop or have a Star Trek style edging :idea:
I like xorg, jwm, pcmanfm as pcmanfm acts as both the file manager and desktop icon manager (launched in .jwmrc using <StartupCommand>pcmanfm --desktop</StartupCommand> along with several other StartupCommand tags).

I've found various images such as
https://68.media.tumblr.com/3cfad287a13 ... 1_1280.png

And others - some that were filled in and where I used mtpaint polygon cut to cut out the central image part to leave just the boundary, into which I pasted those other images.
(clickable thumbnail to fullsize image)
Resized/Scaled to match my 1280x800 resolution, leaving a bottom empty space region to allow for the space jwm tray uses up.

Used a transparent icon that I created in mtpaint and set icon size to a small size in pcmanfm (Edit, Preferences, Display) and set the icon font colour (right click pcmanfm desktop and set the Desktop Preferences, Appearance, Label Text Colour to #00FFFF (blue glow type colour).

Htop is displayed in a xterm window where in .jwmrc I have xterm set to show no border

<Group>
<Name>xterm</Name>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nopager</Option>
</Group>

and I launch xterm using

xterm +sb -geometry 84x24+110+210 -fg rgb:02/FA/FA -fa "xft:Dejavu Sans Mono:style=Bold:pixelsize=18"

which sets its size (84x24 characters wide/deep) and top left XY corner position (110+210) and foreground text colour and font style/size.

For gkrellm I just played around with one of the themes, modifying the colours to better fit with the desired theme

In jwmrc you can define window decoration colours, clock style

<ClockStyle>
<Font>Sans-13</Font>
<Foreground>#02FAFA</Foreground>
<Background>#000000</Background>
</ClockStyle>

...etc.

for instance I like a choice of windows buttons that I define in in .jwmrc as

<ButtonClose>/home/user/Pictures/xbm/red.png</ButtonClose>
<ButtonMax>/home/user/Pictures/xbm/upgreentriangle.png</ButtonMax>
<ButtonMaxActive>/home/user/Pictures/xbm/downgreentriangle.png</ButtonMaxActive>
<ButtonMin>/home/user/Pictures/xbm/yellowline.png</ButtonMin>

I don't use a JWM menu, I just use pcmanfm's panel to open 'applications' (/usr/share/applications) where I add .desktop files if one isn't already available for a program, and drag/copy-drop those to ~/Desktop for the ones that I want to show on the desktop, editing them as desired (transparent icon).

Again in .jwmrc I have the clock set to showdesktop on left click and launch a manually coded menu on right click

<Clock format="%a %d %b %l:%M"><Button mask="3">root:3</Button><Button mask="1">showdesktop</Button></Clock>

where root:3 is coded in .jwmrc as

Code: Select all

<RootMenu onroot="3">
        <Program icon="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/edit-select-all.png" label="Edit .jwmrc">leafpad /home/user/.jwmrc;jwm -restart</Program>
        <Exit label="Exit jwm" confirm="false" icon="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/application-exit.png"/>
        <Program icon="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/process-stop.png" label="Shutdown">systemctl poweroff</Program>
        <Program icon="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/view-refresh.png" label="Reboot">systemctl reboot</Program>

<Separator/>

<Program icon="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/folder-new.png" label="Apps">pcmanfm /usr/share/applications</Program>

</RootMenu>
The rest was basically just resizing things (icon text etc.) and positioning to the desired effect.

Most pup's support different themes etc, I prefer to drop all of that gui based configuration to just have everything in .jwmrc and manually edit that myself using Joe's guide https://joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml
Attachments
downgreentriangle.png
(39.04 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
upgreentriangle.png
(39.38 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
yellowline.png
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
red.png
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 459 times