Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 20:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
How to turn off Firefox's New Tab preview
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
NickAu

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan 2014, 23:25    Post_subject:  How to turn off Firefox's New Tab preview  

I was fed up with those preview windows every time I open a new tab on firefox, So I looked into how to get rid of them and found this. Yes Yes you old hands ( linux geeks) will know this but I am posting this for the new people. This will work on both linux and windoze versions of firefox.

HowTo: Turn this feature off completely
In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter:
Quote:
about:config

The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page. Type browser.newtab.url in the search box:
Quote:
browser.newtab.url

Double-click the browser.newtab.url preference and change the url from about:newtab to about:blank Click OK and close the about:config tab.

Quote:
about:blank

The post where I got this information is here

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-mozilla-firefox-remove-disable-hide-new-tab-page/

Barkin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan 2014, 01:32    Post_subject: Re: Firefox Disable / Hide New Tab Page  

NickAu wrote:
I was fed up with those preview windows every time I open a new tab on firefox, So I looked into how to get rid of them and found this ... .

There was a privacy issue with that feature : the screengrab-images it uses are big enough that text is (just) readable.
So, for instance, when you visit your online email account a screengrab is made where the subjects of the emails can be readable.
If someone has access to your browser they could look at the Firefox folder for these images of your open email account,
(even though they don't have access to your email account).
NickAu

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan 2014, 01:51    Post_subject:  

That's what I was fed up with
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot