Firefox 49

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
labbe5

Firefox 49

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Firefox 49 on Linux will support plug-in free playback on Netflix and Amazon video. This is done through the integration of Google Widevine CDM for Linux.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/20/firefox-49-release/
Link above for more info on Firefox 49.

belham2

Re: Firefox 49

#2 Post by belham2 »

labbe5 wrote:Firefox 49 on Linux will support plug-in free playback on Netflix and Amazon video. This is done through the integration of Google Widevine CDM for Linux.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/20/firefox-49-release/
Link above for more info on Firefox 49.

Anybody got this working?....and working smoothly on Netflix without stuttering, hiccups or latency problems?? I keep Chrome around in my different systems for only one purpose: Netflix. Actually use it for no other reason. Would be nice to to be able to remove Chrome off of some of them.

It is nice to see this from Mozilla, as it means the end of the end death for adobe flash is upon us over the next few years. I still wonder of Adobe's recent ressurrection of Adoble Flash for Linux had anything to do with Mozilla's announcement late last year that they were going to build Google's Widevine component into Firefox. Might have woken them fools up at Adobe for abandoning everybody in Linux like they did. Its too late, Adobe, to kiss and make up now.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

I've said it waaay too many times.. "No one browser does it all."
I keep Chrome around in my different systems for only one purpose: Netflix. Actually use it for no other reason. Would be nice to to be able to remove Chrome off of some of them.
Granted, I don't care for'm either. Chrome I employ on a selective basis.

That they sit on practically every web page you might visit, they're hard to escape.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

@belham2 (very original, I must say. How ya doing, chicken?):-

Regarding NetFlix in Firefox 49.

Well, now. I've just been experimenting in Tahr64, and.....I now have NetFlix working in FF! Not for myself, 'cos as y'all know, I'm not a Firefox fan; Chrome's my main squeeze, and always has been. I thought I'd get it going for all you FF fans out there.

It appears that at the mo, NetFlix haven't yet pushed the big green button that says 'Go!' for Firefox. As it stands, if you go straight to NetFlix, it's still asking you to install Silverlight... (Boo!)

The general consensus of opinion around the web appears to be that this is short-term, and that NetFlix playback will soon be supported for FF49. The technology's all in place.....but NetFlix aren't, as yet, playing ball.

Anyway, I'm gonna be publishing a short 'How-to' for getting round the current short-term hiccup, so.....watch this space.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

:D He's just try'n to show me up. Ain't that right Mike?

Hey, Belham.. Mike can geek as hard as anyone else around here. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Semme wrote::D He's just try'n to show me up. Ain't that right Mike?

^^^ :lol:

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

Semme wrote::D He's just try'n to show me up. Ain't that right Mike?

Mike is our "go to browser Murga cat", he knows that, I know that, and this grasshopper can't walk on rice paper like that master can :D

......and as far as you, ole' murga Mighty Lord Semme, I come to you always with hat in hand looking for wisdom in all other areas that I am deficient---which is pretty much about everything, lol! :lol:

For FF49, I kept getting that dam# "install Silverlight" notice too, and ultimately figured it must be all that hacking-infect code I've got infused in my boxes around here from downloading everything you two put up on the forums 8) !

Come on, Mozilla, quit acting like Mr. Softie and announcing stuff for release before you've actually got all the ducks lined up

...and so Google Dark Vader lives on and no one can shake/escape that bugger....even in Chromium!!

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, belham2.

Well, for anybody who's interested, here's the 'workaround' for NetFlix. See if it works for y'all, too.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 805#925805

I've only re-assembled existing instructions that are already out there on the web. 'Twas just a case of 'digging', that's all.

Enjoy. Oh, BTW; can some kind soul point me in the direction of the GTK3 workaround for the 'black on black' FF tooltips since FF46/7, please? Thanks!

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

belham2 wrote:...figured it must be all that hacking-infect code I've got infused in my boxes around here from downloading everything you two put up on the forums 8) !
'Hacking-infect code'..!!! :shock:

Oooh! Cheeky bugger... There's gratitude for ya! :roll: :lol:

Some people... I don't know.