How to add a network printer to Precise Puppy?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
peppedp

How to add a network printer to Precise Puppy?

#1 Post by peppedp »

Hi, I made a full install of Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on an old Acer Aspire. Now I am trying to add a network printer (Xerox), but when I click in menu on Cups manage printers or on CUPS printer wizard, I always get a Xdialog window asking me if I want to add a new printer. I click "yes" and I get only an Help Surfer windows. How can I install another printer manager?
Thank you!

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

If you read that again, it says "Do you need help adding a Printer".
Do not click on it and you should have the Cups interface appear using your browser.

peppedp

#3 Post by peppedp »

Hi 8-bit and thank you for your answer. The problem is that my browser doesn't start and never started since I installed puppy. I had to install firefox as new browser, cause I couldn't browse internet… any solution? Can you tell me the address to insert in navigation bar in my firefox?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

localhost:631 ...or localhost:631/admin

The 'install printer' wizard also unpacks the drivers so usually has to be run even if you manually open the browser. changiung browsers upsets this delicate wizard apparently....you could rummage around in /usr/local/bin if you want to fix it.

mike

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeb wrote:The 'install printer' wizard also unpacks the drivers
This was true in old Puppies with CUPS 1.1.23. But it doesn't happen any more. Gutenprint PPDs are now generated dynamically.

Many new Puppies have replaced the old cups_shell front-end with the one attached below, Precise being the exception. It only requires that /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser be linked to your actual browser program.
Attachments
cups_shell_rcrsn-1.1.pet
(532 Bytes) Downloaded 277 times

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

But it doesn't happen any more. Gutenprint PPDs are now generated dynamically.
thats what I meant.. genppd is run by the wizard and then the ppd are deleted afterwards...... I don't remember any unpacking going on with 1.1.... but I added it myself at the time as puppy still had that other print system than never seemed to work.

mike

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeb wrote:thats what I meant.. genppd is run by the wizard and then the ppd are deleted afterwards.
Is this still true in Precise?

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Is this still true in Precise?
good question... don't know is the poor answer.

I did wonder that squashing the unpacked ppd would take up the same room as the genppd package so seemed a little pointless. A bit like gzipping the firmware for analogue modems.

mike