Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 31 Aug 2015, 22:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Screen tearing
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:20    Post subject:  Screen tearing  

So, when watching streaming video, or moving a folder/any object rapidly around, there is screen tearing, annoyingly.
The only exception is when watching offline (non-streaming video) in 16:9 on VLC or any other media player with deinterlacing switched on - everything perfect. However, 4:3 video also has horizontal flickering on the upper & lower edges of the picture (otherwise OK picture).

Refresh rate (60), screen resolution (1280x800) depth (24), newest NVidia drivers (for my GeForce 9600M GT card) etc. all correctly set. (If they were not, I could not watch deinterlaced video).

Linux users offer various fixes for this. For instance people with NVidia cards are advised to tweak Nvidia settings - powermizer set to maximum performance, vsync on etc. None of these do the trick (powermizer goes back to adaptive each time I reboot or restart X... is this business as usual???).

in some cases (many Linux distributions) it helps to edit /etc/environment with the following lines:
CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
however I cannot find such file - and I wonder what other file could be edited to get some results?
Friendly puppy geniuses, I know you are out there, please help poor dumb me,
with thanks...............

Last edited by -_- on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 13:30; edited 5 times in total
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:21    Post subject:  

Oh and aside from the video card already mentioned, I am using Lucid Puppy 528-4 on a hp dv5 laptop (crap), and I get the same problem also with precise.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:52    Post subject:  

So if you are talking about tearing when using flash player to watch movies then disabling its acceleration in flash settings might help (right click on a flash item)

Odd you seem to need deinterlacing on...I find that only applies to DVD video and one weird channel on shoutcast TV.

you might need to create that /etc/enviroment file with a text editor if thats a suggested fix.

There are other possibilities since browsers now use video ecceleration but usually relate to web pages in general rather than video/flash.

If you are using HTML5 video then I don't know.

mike
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 13:33    Post subject:  

thanks for reply mike!
yes I need deinterlacing on any video, flash, DVD, avi what have you. Otherwise there will be horizontal flickering.
Although there is no horizontal flickering when watching the videos themselves (16:9) the sudden change from tiny screen to full screen or vice versa also causes some horizontal lines, so i believe it is an issue concerning the "whole thing", i.e. any rapid movement on the screen, such as browsing through pictures rapidly etc. causes this - could be something window manager related (changing from open box to jwm did not make things better) or.... anyways probably editing some environment variables might help? Suggestions are welcome (and meanwhile I try with creating the /etc/environment file)
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 14:14    Post subject:  

update: creating the file /etc/environment didn't change anything...
flash settings had hardware acceleration turned OFF by default; turning them on resulted in very bizarre behavior with youtube (the red curtains in the black lodge scene of twin peaks became blue Very Happy etc) but horizontal flicker stayed the same....
I guess editing environmental variables might help, like said, any ideas welcome!
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 14:51    Post subject:  

There is no mechanism in Puppy Linux to take care of /etc/environment .
There is however a mechanism that takes care of files in /etc/profile.d/ directory .
Look into the file /etc/profile for the mechanism to evaluate files in /etc/profile.d/ .

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
export CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 15:26    Post subject:  

What effect does reducing the depth from 24 to, say, 16, have? Also, how much RAM is in the computer?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 15:45    Post subject:  

Hmm JWM is known for fullscreen problems but you seem to have eliminated that.

It does sound like a very unstable driver but have seen several posts of problems with Nvidia and recent kernels/xorg so not sure what os going on there.

There is a boot parameter to disable kms (kernel mode switching which can cause problems) ... not sure offhand what is unfortunately.

When you first ran it probably used nouveau...was that any better. There is also a basic nv driver usually too... and the fallback vesa.

mike
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 16:17    Post subject:  

cheers for reply flash
Flash wrote:
What effect does reducing the depth from 24 to, say, 16, have?

not much, maybe the tearing is not as sharp but I really don't see any difference + I would prefer not to go down the path downgrading picture quality
Flash wrote:
how much RAM is in the computer?

3 GB available, as 1 out 4 GB ram available is reserved for Vista graphics Neutral
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 16:18    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
There is no mechanism in Puppy Linux to take care of /etc/environment .
There is however a mechanism that takes care of files in /etc/profile.d/ directory .
Look into the file /etc/profile for the mechanism to evaluate files in /etc/profile.d/ .

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
export CLUTTER_VBLANK=True

vielen danke Karl, so I'd simply add the code above to the end of /etc/profile file?
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 16:24    Post subject:  

Thanks again mike
mikeb wrote:
Hmm JWM is known for fullscreen problems but you seem to have eliminated that.

well, there was some stuttering when browsing drop down menu of applications, I threw away the whole save file due to reasons I will explain below.... (so back to open box again)
mikeb wrote:
It does sound like a very unstable driver but have seen several posts of problems with Nvidia and recent kernels/xorg so not sure what os going on there.

Have had this with every Linux installation from Ubuntu to puppy, so I'm absolutely clueless now. Have to avoid Ubuntu as it tends to overheat the laptop no matter what measures I take (CPU saving etc.), puppy (lucid) is easy on the temperature, not so lucky with precise though.
mikeb wrote:
When you first ran it probably used nouveau...was that any better.
mike

Don't remember running nouveau at first, however once used it and it did not work as well with media players (picture was grainier or something, do not remember)
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 16:27    Post subject:  

like mentioned above i had to create a new savefile as I tried installing compiz as tweaking first compiz and then nvidia sometimes does the trick; instead x would not boot no matter what I wrote on the console (as per instructions should xwin not boot after installing compiz)
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 16:34    Post subject:  

I hope you good Puppy folks don't mind - I changed the topic title back to plain screen tearing - it is not about streaming video only (streaming video though exposes the problem most efficiently) as the tearing concerns any rapid movement (both horizontal and vertical) causing horizontal tearing, such as browsing photos in rapid succession, moving a folder around the screen,
Deinterlacing helps with offline visual media like I said - when watching 16:9 video in full screen mode (and 4:3 minus the slight tearing on the very edge, horizontal edges I mean , both upper and lower) but minimizing the screen into "matchbox size" can reintroduce the tearing... so I think all graphics are affected, not just streaming video.
all you guys are enjoying flicker-free video with puppy?
P.S. once again thanks to all who have contributed so far, I hope I will solve this problem some day as Puppy is my favourite Linux flavor.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 17:26    Post subject:  

Hmm compiz mentioned but sounds like your problems have been present without it.

So anything linux is a problem... that narrows it down lol.

Interesting if nouveau showed a similar if slightly worse behaviour.

No I don't get any of this ... rock solid video and desktop but i use older versions/distros and Nvidia.

So my only thoughts at this point is whats the oldest disto you have used on this hardware.

I also assume windows works just fine.

mike
-_-

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 17:58    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Hmm compiz mentioned but sounds like your problems have been present without it.

Yes, thought of using compiz as a fix, but x wouldn't even boot with it installed.
mikeb wrote:
So anything linux is a problem...

actually yes with the laptop in question, another (unrelated?) problem is I can not write some types of files into the pc's own hard drive but have to use external instead and import from there. Text files, .pdf etc. are Ok, but trying to export lossless audio or create any archives (.tar/.zip/.rar etc.) result in corrupted files or nothing at all - well, this is another story really...
mikeb wrote:
I also assume windows works just fine

happily/sadly yes, graphic-wise at least perfect, but no shortage of other problems on that front either Very Happy oh well. I just prefer Puppy as it is rather malleable (well linux always is but like I've said the overheating issues cancel out a lot of distros, been there tried them)
but will try nouveau... and been using puppy from 511 to 528-4 (faint memories of older versions but not sure...)
Page 1 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: