Pwireless2 in Puppeee4.4: password (key) problem

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

puppeee 4.4 RC2 and frisbeee

#16 Post by Volhout »

Mike7,

I own an EeePC1001HA and have been running Jemimah's Puppeee 4.4 during the development cycle of it, and 1 year after. It is a great piece of software for the 1001HA. But ....

Jemimah was not able to finish the product.

The last one was Puppee 4.4 RC2. It is stable, and has lot's of support for the EeePC specific features. Puppeee 4.4 has Frisbee to connect wireless. I detected only one flaw with Frisbeee: After prolongued use (1/2 year) in crowded wireless environments (airports and such) it stops connecting. I still haven't found the reason. Maybe there are log files that become too long ? I have no idea. But until then ... it works great.

There is however mention of problems using Frisbee and SNS and Dougals tool (Pwireles2) interleaved. There is something they share and does not get corrected when switching between them.

I suggest (for puppeee 4.4 RC2) that you do a pristine install (in other words .. delete your save file (that is the large "eeesave.fs2" of "eeesave.fs3" file, and reboot. Then shut down (a new save file will be created) and use only one of the 3 tools. I suggest Frisbeee. Simply right click on the connection item in bottom right of the screen, and it starts Frisbee.
In Frisbee, I sometimes use WEP. And simply enter the key in the UI field, then press "CONNECT to this network" and connect. Isn't that hard....

I hope this works.

P.S. Puppeee is great in that is has support for the special function keys on the EeePC. If you do not use these, but use the mouse to do all the stuff (volume, connect, disconnect), then you could also use many of the more recent puppy's. I have succesfully used Slacko 5.3.3 ever since I left Puppeee 4.4 RC2. Most recently changed over to LXpup 13.11 The "standard Slacko's" however do not offer you the benefit of 3 window managers. They are stuck to one (either JWM or Openbox/LXDE).

Puppeee on 1001HA
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_gS-sA ... sp=sharing

The icons used are ipad2 iconset (this forum, additional software, eye candy, icon theme exchange ... there are ton's of themes).

edit: just for the fun, I did put back the puppeee 4.4 RC2 SD card in my EeePC, and rebooted Puppeee. It still works great. And it does reconnect WIFI after lid close and re-open (suspend). Not all puppies do that.

Mike7

Re: puppeee 4.4 RC2 and frisbeee

#17 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Volhout. Thanks for your post.
The last one was Puppee 4.4 RC2.
I didn't know there were different flavors of Puppeee-4.4. What does RC2 mean?
Puppeee 4.4 has Frisbee to connect wireless.
I guess I don't have RC2, then, since mine has Pwireless2.
There is however mention of problems using Frisbee and SNS and Dougals tool (Pwireles2) interleaved. There is something they share and does not get corrected when switching between them.
I figured there was sure to be that sort of conflict between them, as they must have common dependencies.
I suggest (for puppeee 4.4 RC2) that you do a pristine install (in other words .. delete your save file (that is the large "eeesave.fs2" of "eeesave.fs3" file, and reboot. Then shut down (a new save file will be created) and use only one of the 3 tools. I suggest Frisbeee.
Well, first, I don't have RC2, so I haven't got Frisbee to choose from. Secondly, until I get all my files moved out of the save file (like into /mnt/home/), I don't want to delete the save file. Plus I think I would lose all my configurations, which would set me back months. I'd probably also lose my Osmo calendar, which would be a disaster. And the only thing wrong with Pwireless2 is this bug with the wi-fi keys.

Do you have any idea what this code will do?:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
Puppeee is great in that is has support for the special function keys on the EeePC. If you do not use these, but use the mouse to do all the stuff (volume, connect, disconnect), then you could also use many of the more recent puppy's.
I am planning on trying them, starting with Saluki. What makes you prefer Slacko over Lucid and Precise?

Cheers.

Mike

[/code]

Volhout

Precise

#18 Post by Volhout »

Hi Mike7,

The world of Puppy Linux is not very structured. Dev's do their best to create something that works on many platforms, but testing, and confirming it really works depends on the dev's attitude, and the availability of tester and platforms. There is no "compatibility list" where you can look up if your netbook or PC has ever been validated with a certain release.

I know Jemimah tests most of het releases on one of het EeePC's so Saluki might be a good starting point. But is has not been optimized for compatibility. It may work ... or it may not.

Culprit for most of the incompatibility issues is the WIFI chip in your 1001HA: The RT3900. In earlier kernels, the kernel module for it (RT2800xxx) needed to be blacklisted and a RT3900 module added.

This has happened in Puppeee 4.3 and later.

Lucid has an older kernel. You may run into problems there. The latest Lucid has a newer kernell (or upgrade possibility) and may work also. But it is "try and error".

Precise (5.7.1) should work. It has e recent kernel. I am not sure however if the EeepC special function keys will work. Also try and error.
I would try this first.

Why Slacko ??
Not sure .... When I tried Slacko 5.2.7 on the EeePC it worked out fo the box. I followed 01Micko's upgrades until 5.3.3 and it kept working. I think one of the reasons I changed over to Slacko at that time was the fact that Puppeee frisbeee stopped working after a while, and (I am not a wizz-kid, try to avoid using the terminal) Jemimah stopped support, and the only way to make it work was to discard my save file. That made change. I tried WARY, RACY, and Slacko at that time, and Slacko worked OOTB.

Good luck in your quest....

P.S. There is also good ootb support for EeePC in UPUP 3.8.3.1 from Pesamu. I have tested it on other EeePC's, but not the 1001HA.

P.P.S. My experience with puppy: test until you find something that works ...... and stick to it. Download all apps that you might think that come in handy and put them on a DVD, since data on the web might disappear (like happened to Puppeee's PPM when Jemimah stopped paying for the web page).

P.P.P.S. If you have problems with ROX, and don't like the way JWM works, you could also try LXpup (13.11 or so). Compared to Windows, it has more commonality. I run it on most of my machines now, for web browsing and media player.

P.P.P.P.S (that are many p's....): if you want linux that you can use or upgrade for years ... put lubuntu on it. Puppy's repositories are not maintained (exceptions exist). Puppy is nice as a hobby, for web browsing, but not for work. I have been able to run a business for some years on Lucid Puppy on desktops, but I don't do it anymore. There is a responsive forum, and enthousiastic members, but everyone goes it's own way. So support for your specific programs or hardware depends on them. It is far more likely to work ootb on Lubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

Mike7

Re: Precise

#19 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Volhout.

Thank you for the long post and the wealth of useful information. I will take into serious consideration all your advice on versions when I start trying out different ones.
I know Jemimah tests most of het releases on one of het EeePC's so Saluki might be a good starting point.
Worth a try, certainly.
Culprit for most of the incompatibility issues is the WIFI chip in your 1001HA: The RT3900. In earlier kernels, the kernel module for it (RT2800xxx) needed to be blacklisted and a RT3900 module added.
My eeepc is 1000HA, not 1001HA. Not sure what all the differences are, but I ran System Information and it gave me:
Kernel: Linux 2.6.33.2atom
Modules (wlan): ath5k, mac80211

I seem to recall that the Atheros card and drivers were well tested for Puppeee. Asus changed over to Atheros from Ralink with my model, probably for good reasons. And, as I said, Pwireless2 works like a charm, except for the wi-fi key bug.
Precise (5.7.1) should work. . . I would try this first.
Maybe I'll try Saluki, Slacko, and Precise, in that order.
When I tried Slacko 5.2.7 on the EeePC it worked out fo the box.
Sounds good.
Good luck in your quest....
Thanks. I'll need it. <grin>
There is also good ootb support for EeePC in UPUP 3.8.3.1 from Pesamu.
Never heard of it, bit I will add it to my list.
Download all apps that you might think that come in handy and put them on a DVD, since data on the web might disappear (like happened to Puppeee's PPM when Jemimah stopped paying for the web page).
Now that is a serious issue. I have not yet downloaded any pets because I have no idea if they will run in Puppeee-4.4atom and I don't want them to damage the system. What do you suggest? Can I download and try a pet without much danger?

There is no repository for Puppeee. Are there for other specific versions of Puppy, like the versions you recommend? How does anyone know if a certain pet will work on their version?
If you have problems with ROX, and don't like the way JWM works, you could also try LXpup (13.11 or so). Compared to Windows, it has more commonality. I run it on most of my machines now, for web browsing and media player.
Another new one on me. Are all these versions available from the main download sites?
if you want linux that you can use or upgrade for years ... put lubuntu on it. . . It is far more likely to work ootb on Lubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu.
I just checked the lubuntu website and they don't have a special version for laptops or netbooks. The iso is 696m, pretty hefty. I wonder if it will run on an eeepc, and how much power it will chew up? With Puppeee-4.4 my eeepc is already running hot.

There used to be things called "eeebuntu" and "ubuntu netbook remix", but I can't find download sites for them. Ditto for Fedora-eee and Crunch-eee. I think these (and other) eeepc distros ended around 2010.

I think I'll stick with trying out Puppy versions, then maybe Lubuntu.

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Cheers.

Mike

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

DO NOT try Pemasu's Upup anything -- I have a 1000HE (well, technically -HEB but there's not any difference that I can find; the 'B' simply signifies that Best Buy was the place of purchase) -- Pemasu's Upup Puplets (3831 and 3992) have issues with ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) on these systems. Mine will not shut down properly, requiring a hard power-off (press & hold power button till it dies) at each shutdown. Suspend doesn't work right, either. The result is a rapidly corrupted filesystem that doesn't work right.

I'm running X-Slacko on my 1000HEB now, and haven't found any issues yet. (Go for the 1.1 release though, it fixes some important things.)

BTW, the way PET packages work, if they can't install, they /won't/ install. If you get a huge pile of dependencies listed at the end, go into Puppy Package Manager and uninstall (it will go away cleanly) unless you want to chase down all those dependencies. (Hint, if you do -- if it says for example libnss.so.4 is a dependency, you need to search for libnss -- "so" is the extension for a shared library, and the .4 on the end means that it's a symlink.)

You might try Carolina, it's based on Saluki but still maintained (jemimah is on an extended Puppy sabbatical basically because she's got a sucky job) and it's quite active in fact... but it might not do well on your system. Minimum requirements IIRC are 1ghz CPU and 512mb RAM.

Try XSlacko first -- Carolina can't run recent browsers AFAIK. For example: Chrome 12 is the newest that it will run. I'm using the Chromium 31 + Pepperflash PET from this forum, in XSlacko to type this. (Chromium is opensource Chrome; Pepperflash is the built-into-Chrome flash player.)

Good luck!

EDIT: Your 1000HA is basically the same as my 1000HEB, except that yours has an older wireless card (b/g only; mine is b/g/n) and a weaker battery (7hrs rated on yours, 9.5hrs on mine). The -HE models *can* come with an Atom N280 CPU, but mine still has the N270 (not that there's much difference in performance!) so that's the same. I've done some hardware upgrades to mine as well -- if you can upgrade the RAM to 2gb you'll notice a severe performance increase. If you can afford an SSD put that in there too... a few notes on that -- (a) a 64gig SSD is $50ish on eBay if you're in the US and (b) DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy an "incredible bargain" super low priced SSD on eBay EVER, or one that's "As Is", or one that's "For Parts Or Not Working" -- you WILL get screwed. Don't buy from China/HK either -- it'll take forever to get to you, and you better hope it works great because you won't be able to afford to ship it back! Oh, and avoid OCZ drives -- read the reviews of them if you want to know just how quickly and spectacularly they die... I don't trust eBay's "KingSpec" drives either, although I've never used 'em; call it prejudice if you want but with that name they just sound like they're cheap crap that dies in a month.

I bought a Transcend (a brand well known for industrial-grade memory products) 64gig SSD for $50 on eBay. It works great! Just be careful, whatever you do.

Mike7

#21 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Starhawk.

Thanks for all the info.
DO NOT try Pemasu's Upup anything
Okay, scratch that. :)
I'm running X-Slacko on my 1000HEB now, and haven't found any issues yet. (Go for the 1.1 release though, it fixes some important things.)
I've never heard of X-Slacko. What does the "X" mean?
the way PET packages work, if they can't install, they /won't/ install.
Do you mean that if they do install, they will work?
If you get a huge pile of dependencies listed at the end, go into Puppy Package Manager and uninstall
Uninstall the dependencies? Or do they uninstall when you uninstall the main pet?

Suppose a pet has a dependency that's shared with another application. Will that dependency get uninstalled when you uninstall the pet?
You might try Carolina, it's based on Saluki but still maintained
That sounds very good.
Minimum requirements IIRC are 1ghz CPU and 512mb RAM.
My 1000HA has a 1.6ghz CPU and 1000mb RAM, so that should be okay.
Carolina can't run recent browsers AFAIK.
Uh-oh. I knew there was a snag. <grin>
Chrome 12 is the newest that it will run.
This Puppeee-4.4 has Chrome 5, and I am having trouble with a lot of websites. But I'm afraid to try and install a later version. I doubt it will work, and then I'll have problems re-installing Chrome 5.
I'm using the Chromium 31 + Pepperflash PET from this forum, in XSlacko to type this.
How recent is Chromium 31?

Mike

Mike7

#22 Post by Mike7 »

All-

I am still waiting and hoping that someone here will have an idea about using Barry Kohler's fix for SNS, to get my Pwireless2 to connect to password-protected wi-fi signals:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
Cheers.

Mike