Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
SnoopPup

#211 Post by SnoopPup »

lol...I think tahrpup 6.0 is tooooo fast..lol

which reminds me of a suggestion: it would be helpful to slow down some of the pop-up boxes that present during various installations. Sometimes an error box will pop up and disappear before I can read it. I will also add this to the suggestions thread I saw the other night.

Semme

#212 Post by Semme »

Do yourself a favor and get a factory cord. Those after-markets are poorly made and anything but reliable.

Firsthand experience tells me it's not the software that's holding your phone back, it's the lousy cord.
ROX runs displaying /mnt/MTPdevice with a green dot..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#213 Post by Semme »

Potential aids: updated firmware *or* this dudes mod. Note the FOUR follow-ups.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

SnoopPup

#214 Post by SnoopPup »

Since I moved to tahrpup 6.0, I'm getting zero connection.

I'll go ahead and pick up a new cord, but my hunch is that that is not the problem.

The thing about Samsung cables is that the phone connector wire breaks pretty quickly, broke 2 in 6 months. Got electrical tape on this one, but it's just a power cord from an old Samsung phone, not a data cable.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help. I'm not giving up on Puppy, 6.0 is too damn fast. I have a hunch it is more stable than Slacko 5.7 too, I mean, I was surprised that I ever had to reboot Slacko 5.7, but I did have to a couple of times. Not sure what caused that, but I was a little surprised. Might've been screen res though,but it did lock up a few times. So far, no lock ups on 6.0 and none in sight. :)

Semme

#215 Post by Semme »

No dice, huh? Both libs grabbed my phone aboard Tahr.
Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable.
Odd, here you list "e" >> Dev ID [04e8:685e].. Your ss says otherwise.

Not that it matters much @ the moment.. I was merely bringing your info to the forefront.
Attachments
sp-pid_mtp.jpg
(134.82 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

Semme

#216 Post by Semme »

PS >> If your phone's gonna work @ all, the difference between a shoddy cable and good one.
Attachments
libmtp_connect1.jpg
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 752 times

SnoopPup

#217 Post by SnoopPup »

That is a good catch on the Device ID variation. Hmm..maybe cable? I mean, that's a really good catch. I missed that. What would cause that? That number should be the same, no? Could it be caused by switching from PDA to MODEM and back to PDA? I tried various settings in Samsung phone utils. I will look up exactly what those letters and numbers mean.

So I finally installed Airdroid app and it is pretty awesome. Previously I had tried other Wifi-Android-PC file managers, and I wasn't impressed, but this Airdroid is pretty slick. Thanks for that recommendation.

I still would like to get my phone connected to Linux via USB because a few weeks ago I was trying to install custom ROM mods to upgrade Android from ICS to KitKat, etc. Most of that process is best done with a Linux OS from what I can tell. Besides all the web servers and super-computers that run Linux, if you think about it, and you probably have, but I hadn't, the billion or so Android devices are also Linux machines. Pretty incredible.

But I find after several hours of banging my head against the wall and failing to accomplish much, the frustration and fatigue start to produce a lot of errors and unclear thinking in my attempts to troubleshoot. So instead I installed tahrpup 6.0 on another machine and TinyCore on another and went to sleep satisfied that I had accomplished something. lol Actually, I installed that Airdroid after that and went to sleep really satisfied. I even dreamt about it. lol.

Just in a good mood tonight. Patriots won a close one against the Ravens and are now headed to AFC Champ game. So all is well in New England. Also wondering now how many Linux machines are running at your average football game. Including cell phones, it must be close to 100K.

I will definitely pick up a cable, because I did notice improvement when I got rid of the extension I was using to connect to windows. And many people have experienced the same. Also looking at a new phone, probably not Samsung, probably Motorola. I will definitely make sure it MTP/PTP is selectable. By the time I get around to getting it,there will likely be new protocols, though.

Cheers!

SnoopPup

#218 Post by SnoopPup »

Unable to locate and confirm Hex Device ID on my phone. I think that's HEX, right? Checked phone status in Settings and checked under battery. Not sure where I can confirm its Device ID.

Semme

#219 Post by Semme »

So, you're running Tahr, correct? What have you installed in trying to mount your phone?

SnoopPup

#220 Post by SnoopPup »

Semme wrote:Potential aids: updated firmware *or* this dudes mod. Note the FOUR follow-ups.
Oh, I missed this last night. Like I said, I was in a bit of a fog after repeated failures.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. Let me take a look.

SnoopPup

#221 Post by SnoopPup »

Semme wrote:So, you're running Tahr, correct? What have you installed in trying to mount your phone?
I took it one step at a time, this time.

I tried smokeys go-mtpfs first.

Then tried the semi-automatic and full-auto pets by candev I believe.

Then I tried MTPdetect -exper -noarch with MTPstatus.

Pretty much I went through the thread and tried everything again. Not sure that I tried gphotofs though.

At this point, I'm most curious about why that Device ID would vary. You don't think that's crucial at this point?
Last edited by SnoopPup on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

SnoopPup

#222 Post by SnoopPup »

And, yes, I'm running tahr.

Semme

#223 Post by Semme »

Freeze-frame follow-up? No thanks, I'm out.

SnoopPup

#224 Post by SnoopPup »

Not sure why, in terminal,I am unable to CD from /root to /root/Startup to start MTPdetect, but I can open /Startup and start MTPdetect in ROX?

Yeah, I will try to bend the connectors after I run through this one more time. I wanted to duplicate that varied Device ID. Looking it up it looks like my old phone uses the old ESN 8 digit hex Device ID format (xxxx:xxxx), which ran out of IDs so they created MEID which is 14 digits.

After I installed tahrpup, I did not notice a connection to my phone using lsusb. How else would I know it connected in Tahr natively? It would just show up and show my files?

SnoopPup

#225 Post by SnoopPup »

Semme wrote:Freeze-frame follow-up? No thanks, I'm out.
Huh? You locked up? Freeze frame?

What was that Fuse command?

SnoopPup

#226 Post by SnoopPup »

It's weird because my phone shows Serial# as 0000000000, which is usually the decimal of the 8 digit hex I think. I thought I needed the ESN to activate this phone, but now I can't even find it.

EDIT: Scratch that. GSM uses IMEI and CDMA uses ESN/MEID I guess.

SnoopPup

#227 Post by SnoopPup »

So using lsusb I can duplicate the variance in Device ID by switching from PDA (e) to MODEM (d) which are options in Phone Utils (#*7284#).
Attachments
lsusb.png
(143.97 KiB) Downloaded 727 times

SnoopPup

#228 Post by SnoopPup »

So I went back to Slacko 5.7 as it seemed like I made more progress there.

I can now proceed to where I get the screen reporting AndroidAndroid with the "d" Device ID variance. It appears that MTPdetect will only recognize the "d" which represents the MODEM setting as opposed to the "e" which represents PDA. lsusb will easily detect either setting, but MTPdetect only recognizes it as MODEM even though it can only detect phone when set as PDA, which should show an "e" at the end of the Device ID.
Still puzzled why the Device ID would not be constant, regardless of PDA/MODEM setting, but that appears to be the case.

So I think MTPdetect is seeing my phone as a MODEM with no files to be mounted.

Samsung has issues with this PDA/MODEM protocol or whatever it is. It is necessary in Samsung Kies to switch from PDA to MODEM and back to PDA to connect to KIES on this particular phone. Somebody randomly figured that out and it is on the net. It is also necessary for me to toggle this to shut off USB Mass Storage so that MTP will be active or dominant. There is very little info on net about PDA/MODEM, little that I could find anyway.

I also note that lsusb detects and reports either "download mode" for MODEM "d" setting or "debugging mode" for PDA "e" selection.

I'm starting to fully appreciate why OpenSource is vital. Samsung could open the books on the various bizarre stuff they do. Not a lot different between Samsung and Microsoft. Next phone will be as Open Source as possible and probably not a Samsung. Like all the code and protocols used and embedded in hardware should be free and open. Then 8)

Could still be the cable though, but I still doubt it. :shock:
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-01-11_001648.png
(160.01 KiB) Downloaded 711 times

SnoopPup

#229 Post by SnoopPup »

ANd lsusb reports my phone differently in Slacko 5.7 compared to tahrpup, very differently. I don't even unplug phone, move or touch it, but the 2 versions reports are not nearly the same. Must be the kernel?

SnoopPup

#230 Post by SnoopPup »

One more thing.

I noticed that 1 dependency is missing after installing MTPdetect -exper-noarch: qt. Jus the letters q and t. Not sure what that is or how to fix it or if it's a problem. That's in Slacko 5.7 with mtplib 1.0.3 utilities installed as well.

Back to tahrpup to see if it's the same...