Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
gjuhasz

Works in Puli, however...

#81 Post by gjuhasz »

Tested in Puli (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88691) with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

For the first attempt, go-mtpfs works well.
However, after repeating the magic procedure a few times:

Code: Select all

go-mtpfs MTP &

(downloading files)        

fusermount -u MTP

the content of directories suddenly seem to be shifted with one directory within /root/MTP. Means music files are displayed in the Pictures directory and pictures in the Recordings, records in Downloads etc.

Maybe this is a ROX bug because the right content is restored after refreshing the ROX window (where the files appear, because refreshing a higher level directory does not restore anyíthing.

Fortunately, this is only a displaying error, the files themselves remain at their right place.

Sylvander

#82 Post by Sylvander »

1. After my 1st [unsuccessful] attempt as previously posted by me....
And...
Having chosen to NOT SAVE those session changes...
At the next session booted [1st thing this morning]...
I [made a pupsavehotbackup and] had a 2nd go using the new/updated instructions in this post by 01 micko.

2. The 2nd attempt [using the updated instructions] was successful. :D
I was able to mount [within Precise-5.6.1] the "Samsung Galaxy tab-2 10.1" running Android 4.0.
Then able to use Xfe to display the folder/file system within the tab-2, and display the contents of one of the image files [a screenshot].

3. I like the idea proposed in this post by tempestuous.
I'm somewhat concerned that I may forget to dismount [or is it unmount?] the device prior to disconnecting it.

4. I'll now try connecting my wifes' smartphone [Nokia Lumia 610 running Windows Phone OS].
Well....
That appeared to work OK, and I chose to mount it, but no contents show up under /mnt/MTPdevice.
Hmmm, I see 2 little phone icons down at bottom right beside the sound volume speaker icon.
I right-clicked on each of those and clicked "unmount", but saw no change to "mount".
Clicked each to "quit", and they disappeared.
A notice said I'd need to use the menu entry to unmount, but when I do that nothing happens [or rather I get the dialog shown in image 01].
I'll shut down [without saving; not necessary to save yet again since I'd clicked "Save" on the desktop right after making all the necessary changes], then disconnect the phone and boot once more.
Did that, and connected the smartphone yet again, but got the same result 2nd time around.
Attachments
00.jpg
(31 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
01.jpg
(28.74 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
02.jpg
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

Sylvander wrote:3. I like the idea proposed in this post by tempestuous.
I'm somewhat concerned that I may forget to dismount [or is it unmount?] the device prior to disconnecting it.
While it is a nice idea it's a bit beyond the scope of the project for now. You can drag the /usr/share/applicatons/mtp_detect.desktop file to your desktop and rename it to anything you like. If the device is mounted and you click it the unmount gui will show up.

So sadly enough windows phones fail. I suppose we will need a warning for that unless someone can fix it. There isn't one around for 100 miles in these parts. If its proven that they can't work perhaps nokias should be added to the kernel rule as an exception.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tempestuous

#84 Post by tempestuous »

Billtoo and Sylvander,
Since the automated gui's have failed for your Playbook and Nokia 610 respectively,
you should go back to the manual instructions I posted originally -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 416#752416

After you run the "go-mtpfs MTPdevice" command, you may see some critical information in the terminal ...
if so, report this and we may be able to sort it out.

01micko

#85 Post by 01micko »

Also, there are a few options to go-mtpfs

# go-mtpfs -help       
Usage of go-mtpfs:
  -allow-other=false: allow other users to access mounted fuse. Default: false.
  -android=true: use android extensions if available
  -debug="": comma-separated list of debugging options: usb, data, mtp, fuse
  -dev="": regular expression to filter devices.
  -storage="": regular expression to filter storage areas.
  -usb-timeout=5000: timeout in milliseconds
  -vfat=true: assume removable RAM media uses VFAT, and rewrite names.
Maybe windows phones need the vfat option?

tempestuous

#86 Post by tempestuous »

Regarding the Nokia, I did some Googling and read that someone successfully connected to a Windows phone by disabling the phone's password.

Billtoo

#87 Post by Billtoo »

tempestuous wrote:Billtoo and Sylvander,
Since the automated gui's have failed for your Playbook and Nokia 610 respectively,
you should go back to the manual instructions I posted originally -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 416#752416

After you run the "go-mtpfs MTPdevice" command, you may see some critical information in the terminal ...
if so, report this and we may be able to sort it out.
# cd /mnt
# go-mtpfs MTPdevice
2014/01/27 07:32:46 detect failed: no MTP devices found
#
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0fca:8012 Research In Motion, Ltd.
#
The screen on the tablet says that it's connected to the computer.

Thanks

tempestuous

#88 Post by tempestuous »

Billtoo wrote:# go-mtpfs MTPdevice
Well that's a complete fail.

I suggest you try wifi sharing -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pVt7D2vbs

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised you need a file browser with SMB support -
I will need to do some more digging - maybe Tux Commander?
Or maybe others with SMB knowledge can jump in ...

rcrsn51

#89 Post by rcrsn51 »

All Puppies have some kind of Samba client software - Pnethood, etc. According to the video, you just need to get the tablet enabled as a Samba server.

But in the video, he doesn't enable any authentication. That might be an issue if you take your tablet out in public.

01micko

#90 Post by 01micko »

Well maybe just samba is needed (slacko64 ships with but it needs to be turned on.. see network menu).

I have done quite a bit of testing and this one should support FatDog much better (even older pups perhaps) and give more warnings and even test devices with the "debug" option (from gui, logged to /tmp).. also added basic logging.. not that much happens when things go well but if it crashes maybe something gets caught.. see /tmp/MTP.log (before a reboot). Also added a legal button absolving any of us from inadvertently destroying windows phones and blackberry''s.

A funny thing, FatDog takes 20 seconds to popup for the automount.. very slow for 64. It must be a kernel option.. has to be!

Enjoy..
Attachments
mtp_detect-0.9-exper-noarch.pet
The bloat is because it includes GPLv2, a large text document
(19.73 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#91 Post by Billtoo »

tempestuous wrote:

I have a usb bluetooth adapter (somewhere) but my chances of finding
it are slim, I see one advertised locally for 20 dollars so I may pick
one up next time that I'm out and give that a try.

Geoffrey

#92 Post by Geoffrey »

mtp_detect-0.9-exper-noarch.pet, script mtpdevice, Line 169 as an error, needs a space after the first ampersand

go-mtpfs /mnt/MTPdevice &>>/tmp/MTP.log & # added log
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

can8v

#93 Post by can8v »

tempestuous wrote:Regarding the Nokia, I did some Googling and read that someone successfully connected to a Windows phone by disabling the phone's password.
SMB-tng with simple file sharing and Thunar / Gigolo is the only way to go, though I have no idea if all of that is available outside XFCE.

can8v

#94 Post by can8v »

rcrsn51 wrote:All Puppies have some kind of Samba client software - Pnethood, etc. According to the video, you just need to get the tablet enabled as a Samba server.

But in the video, he doesn't enable any authentication. That might be an issue if you take your tablet out in public.
Exactly why I did the reverse and setup the samba server on my puppy machines and used a samba client on my android devices. Even now that I have MTP, this is my primary way of transferring files. Though authentication is not hard to set up, The choices for Android Samba servers that were free were pretty limited. I found only two and didn't care for either one. Ultimately decided that Samba-tng on Puppy was the way to go. For those with Blackberry Playbook this also eliminates having to buy Samba server software for their Playbook. I don't own a playbook, but would think a Samba client would either come with it or be readily downloadable.

can8v

#95 Post by can8v »

Billtoo wrote:
tempestuous wrote:

I have a usb bluetooth adapter (somewhere) but my chances of finding
it are slim, I see one advertised locally for 20 dollars so I may pick
one up next time that I'm out and give that a try.
If you have a WiFi access point on your network Samba is less hassle and if you can't get a either Samba client or server on your device then FTP is always an option although programs on the other somputers on your network will not be able to access the data directly, you would have to FTP it to a local directory to make it accessible to those programs. Bluetooth will likely suffer from that limitation, as well though. In my experience the only time bluetooth has ever come in handy for me was when I had no USB cable and no WiFi access point and needed to transfer some files to a computer. Then I was grateful for Bluetooth. Also my car stereo uses bluetooth and I use it to play play Pandora off my phone,as far as I am concerned that and hands free setups is what Bluetooth is really for. You can of course get files transferred over bluetooth, but that would be my last resort.

Sylvander

#96 Post by Sylvander »

1. Regarding this post by tempestuous:
I used the commands and got the following:

# cd /mnt
# go-mtpfs MTPdevice
2014/01/27 15:57:43 detect failed: no MTP devices found
# fusermount -u MTPdevice
fusermount: failed to unmount /mnt/MTPdevice: Invalid argument
# 
Seems odd that it's saying no MTP devices were found, because...
a. When I plug in the Nokia Lumia 610 smartphone, it is detected, a dialog is displayed asking if I want to mount it, when I choose to mount an Xfe window is displayed, but there is no content shown in /mnt/MTPdevice.
A tiny icon image of a phone also appears beside the sound volume speaker icon.
b. When I then right-click on the phone icon and choose "click to unmount", I get a dialog saying "plug in your device right now".
If I click "OK" on that, I then get a dialog giving the option to mount the device once more.
c. If I click "yes" to mount, I get a green notification that the mount has been successful [and I get a 2nd little phone icon], and again an Xfe window is displayed showing the Puppy folder/file system.
d. So all appears to be working well EXCEPT...
No content is displayed within /mnt/MTPdevice.
Might it be displayed elsewhere?
Or is the Puppy system [as presently set up] incapable of displaying the contents of the folders/files within the "Windows Phone" OS?

Billtoo

#97 Post by Billtoo »

can8v wrote: If you have a WiFi access point on your network Samba is less hassle and if you can't get a either Samba client or server on your device then FTP is always an option although programs on the other somputers on your network will not be able to access the data directly, you would have to FTP it to a local directory to make it accessible to those programs. Bluetooth will likely suffer from that limitation, as well though. In my experience the only time bluetooth has ever come in handy for me was when I had no USB cable and no WiFi access point and needed to transfer some files to a computer. Then I was grateful for Bluetooth. Also my car stereo uses bluetooth and I use it to play play Pandora off my phone,as far as I am concerned that and hands free setups is what Bluetooth is really for. You can of course get files transferred over bluetooth, but that would be my last resort.
I tried bluetooth on my imac in Xubuntu and also OSX, one or the other
(forget which) saw the playbook but no services were available.
All that I got out of that exercise was a headache, I think the
playbook and windows is the only way.
I even tried downloading the software from BlackBerry that allows it
to sync with a windows desktop and then tried to install it under wine
1.7.11 but that failed too.
It's more trouble than it's worth so I'll just do it in windows for
the playbook.
Thanks for the help.

Ted Dog

#98 Post by Ted Dog »

@01micko this thread is getting convoluted but seems to be headed in the right direction do you think this will be in the base of next alpha release of slacko64?

can8v

#99 Post by can8v »

Sylvander wrote:1. Regarding this post by tempestuous:
I used the commands and got the following:

# cd /mnt
# go-mtpfs MTPdevice
2014/01/27 15:57:43 detect failed: no MTP devices found
# fusermount -u MTPdevice
fusermount: failed to unmount /mnt/MTPdevice: Invalid argument
# 
Seems odd that it's saying no MTP devices were found, because...
a. When I plug in the Nokia Lumia 610 smartphone, it is detected, a dialog is displayed asking if I want to mount it, when I choose to mount an Xfe window is displayed, but there is no content shown in /mnt/MTPdevice.
A tiny icon image of a phone also appears beside the sound volume speaker icon.
b. When I then right-click on the phone icon and choose "click to unmount", I get a dialog saying "plug in your device right now".
If I click "OK" on that, I then get a dialog giving the option to mount the device once more.
c. If I click "yes" to mount, I get a green notification that the mount has been successful [and I get a 2nd little phone icon], and again an Xfe window is displayed showing the Puppy folder/file system.
d. So all appears to be working well EXCEPT...
No content is displayed within /mnt/MTPdevice.
Might it be displayed elsewhere?
Or is the Puppy system [as presently set up] incapable of displaying the contents of the folders/files within the "Windows Phone" OS?
The device is not being mounted elsewhere. It simply isn't being mounted. I ran into a similar issue in developing my mount and unmount scripts. What is happening is that 01micko's script is seeing that dmesg is detecting the device and the script is able to pull the manufacturer and product information from the log, but go-mtpfs is not recognizing it as an MTP device and therefore generates the message you are seeing rather than mounting it using FUSE. Hope that makes sense. This will happen anytime somebody plugs in a nonMTP device or an MTP device that go-mtpfs doesn't recognize as an MTP device. The latter will be quite rare, but because the former is probably going to happen quite often I changed my mount script to not create the mount point and not open the file manager in these cases.
@01micko
That might be something you add to the next version of your package.

can8v

#100 Post by can8v »

@01micko
That might be something you add to the next version of your package.
[/quote]
Mick,
I accomplished this by letting go-mtpfs do its thing then then just before opening the file manager I had my script check the directory to see if it was empty, if it was, then I assumed the device wasn't actually mounted and had my script remove the directory and generate and error message instead of opening the file manager.
I know your script is not creating the directory for each use then removing it after unmount, like mine is. You might not even agree that it would be appropriate to do so, but checking to ensure the device is mounted and generating an error message to the user if it is not, would certainly be a good idea. As far as I can tell right now the script just assumes it is mounted and opens the file manager to a potentially empty directory.