Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 04:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
can8v

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014, 14:39    Post subject:  Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)
Subject description: Support for Android 4.x and up and a whole host of media players.

***EDIT***
There are a few solutions using go-mtpfs. They are at the following links:
go-mtpfs (required for both options)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=751845#752416
Automatic mount/unmount solution
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91833
Semiautomatic solution.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91442&start=105#754223
Somewhere in this thread Geoffrey provides another solution, but it is not packaged as a pet package at the time of this writing. It is included in the Carolina 1.2 release.
***Edit***
For those not familiar with MTP it is becoming very prevalent. Now that Google no longer supports connecting Android devices via USB Mass Storage Device, MTP is spreading at an alarming rate. Puppy is a little late to the game in supporting this type of connection. It is a subset of PTP which is used by Pup Camera.
I have been trying to get this working in Carolina for over a week. My results are in the Carolina 1.1 thread pg.79. I have mostly been trying to get this working using libmtp, gvfs, gvfs-mtp backend, and FUSE, which should work splendidly with Thunar (default file manager in Carolina). So far I have manage to get everything working and can finally launch Thunar from the terminal and no errors come up, but Thunar still does not display my Nexus 7 (Android 4.4) as a storage device.
A little more on MTP, I have used the libmtp, gvfs,gvfs-mtp backend and FUSE with both Thunar and PCmanFM in other distros and both options work great. That said there is some differences between mounting a MTP device and mounting block devices. First MTP is NOT a block device. Files are mounted indepently. Second Because MTP devices are not block devices they can be mounted by both the host device (in my case Android 4.4 on the Nexus 7) and other devices (in my case my laptop using the above mentioned tools) at the same time. I use the term host device rather loosely, as the Nexus 7 is not serving the files or facilitating the connection, it merely provides the physical case and hardware needed for the connection (ie. USB port).
I would be more than a little thrilled to see MTP supported in any version of Puppy or Puplet. If anybody has any clues how to make this happen, or can get it working and provide a .pet or sfs package for any version of Puppy it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by can8v on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 19:36; edited 7 times in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014, 14:47    Post subject:  

same issues here. pm me if you unconcover a working pet or sfs
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014, 06:04    Post subject:  

The advice offered by Tempestuous may be your best hope.
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 01:15    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
The advice offered by Tempestuous may be your best hope.

At least in Carolina I could not get this to work.
I am really hoping for support from a file manager rather than a stand alone app designed to manage an MP3 player. I understand why this class of applications were developed, but now that MTP has gone mainstream, it makes sense for file management on MTP devices to happen in the file manager with all the other devices and drives. Although if I could get this working that would at least temporarily satisfy me. One of the many advantages of using the file manager would be easily mounting the device, which could then be treated like any other drive on the computer. For example I installed Lubuntu a couple days ago and was able to connect my Nexus 7 and instantly start charging my device, while transferring some videos I had taken on my sons Boy Scout hike. The previous time I had shared the directories containing the media on the Nexus 7, so my wife was also able to connect to that share after I connected via USB and transfer the files to her Mac as well. I suppose I could install a Samba server on the Nexus 7 and share the files directly from there and the more powerful mobile devices become the more commonplace arrangements like that may become. On the other hand a great many of the MTP devices to not have the ability to install Samba servers or any software for that matter. Many of the MTP devices are just media players and don't even have WiFi. So I think even in the long run proper MTP support is going to be fairly important.
I will be away for a few days, but will check back on this thread when I return.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 06:16    Post subject:  

I did some more reading about libmtp, and I see that it's generally regarded as unreliable with Android devices.
There's an alternative application based on libmtp: go-mtpfs
which I have just packaged now for you to test. Get it here -
www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/go-mtpfs-20130628.pet
Instructions:
Download and install the dotpet.
Connect your phone to the USB port of your Puppy computer. Wait a few seconds.
Open a console and run these 2 commands -
Code:
cd /mnt
go-mtpfs MTPdevice

You will see the go-mtpfs application attempt to connect to your phone ...
if this is successful, you should be able to see the contents of your phone at /mnt/MTPdevice with a standard file browser (such as ROX). Go ahead and copy some files from/to Puppy.
When you're finished, it's important to unmount the phone before disconnecting it, with this command -
Code:
fusermount -u MTPdevice

UPDATE: 64bit version now available (for Fatdog64, Slacko64 etc) -
www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/go-mtpfs-20130628-64bit.pet

Last edited by tempestuous on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 04:49; edited 2 times in total
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:41    Post subject:  

@tempestuous
I am very excited to try this out. If it works I will write a script that will mount the device then launch Thunar. Might be able to set it up to auto unmount when Thunar closes, as well. I should be back to my computer tomorrow and will check it out then.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:54    Post subject:  

Might have to think outside of the box maybe

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

I own a Blackberry Storm so I am able to use Mass Storage Device/usb in my Puppy installs. That is why I keep it. Plus I got it super cheap and it does everything I need.

So I can't test this on Puppy.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 16:05    Post subject:  

Hi @Tempestuous.

Is this aimed at, say, Slacko or Slacko64, or both?

Thanks in advance.

tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 20:12    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Is this aimed at, say, Slacko or Slacko64, or both?

All third party applications contributed on this forum, unless expressly stated otherwise, are for the official Puppies or standard Puppy derivatives - thus 32bit. 64bit is a special case.
But since you have mentioned 64bit, it's quite easy for me to provide a 64bit version, since the go-mtpfs developer provides binary releases. See my earlier post, which I just updated.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 20:16    Post subject:  

EDIT: testing successful.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 04:50; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 20:54    Post subject:  

Works!!!

Where's the rest of the feedback?

Anyway, on Slacko64-5.8.7, followed the simple instructions and am now browsing the files on my Nexus 7. Thanks tempestuous.

EDIT: odd mix eh? Laughing

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 21:11    Post subject:  

could you please add datatype to your host so the .pet does not become a garbled wall of text in my browster.CANt DO SAVE AS UNDER ANDROID.
thanks. I have same issue with my hosting of pets at puppylinux.net so I do not host much. which is such a waste Ive got storage and bandwidth.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 21:13    Post subject:  

after looking at those music folders I wonder if 01micko has multiple personality.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 22:02    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
after looking at those music folders I wonder if 01micko has multiple personality.

I'll let you wonder about that Laughing

Anyway, confirmed working great with my Samsung Galaxy W (an older one) with CyanogenMod 9 (Andrioid 4.0.4 ICS). I was a bit more adventurous as I only tested connectivity with the Nexus. I converted 2barks.au to an ogg and dropped it in where the ring tones live, now if some one contacts me it will (or has the option to) bark. So writing to the phone seems to work fine.

By the way, the go-mtpfs process seems to keep running in the terminal, not like a usual mount (I am aware that it is not a usual mount) and it seems the only way to stop it is with CTRL+C. Then I run fusermount -u MTP,

can8v

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Works!!!

Where's the rest of the feedback?

Anyway, on Slacko64-5.8.7, followed the simple instructions and am now browsing the files on my Nexus 7. Thanks tempestuous.

EDIT: odd mix eh? Laughing

That is awesome, now I really can't wait to get home and test this out..
Page 1 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: