Install Puppy to USB without burning to CD first

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Burn_IT

#46 Post by Burn_IT »

I had to do a holiday job to help pay my way to college.

It stood me in good stead as their biggest client gave me a permanent job when I finished my course.

College life puts the iron in your ... character.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Les Kerf

#47 Post by Les Kerf »

I am a 57 year old geezer-in-training who only started using computers regularly ~ five years ago. My earlier attempts with Windows were so unpleasant that I simply avoided all things computer.

I went back to college in 2010; I was then pretty much forced into the computer world, kicking and screaming all the way.

A professor and also a fellow student were Linux nuts; they got me started with Linux Mint. I later found Puppy Linux and have never looked back.

Grub4Dos is so very easy to use, even a simpleton such as I can use it with confidence.

Robin2

#48 Post by Robin2 »

Les Kerf wrote:Grub4Dos is so very easy to use, even a simpleton such as I can use it with confidence.
I must meet a better class of simpleton :)

I have just had a look at this Grub4Dos tutorial

It seems a little more complex than syslinux.exe -a -m F:

...R

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

remember the command earlier well...

bootlace.com 0x80

add yer grldr file and a menu...done. Thats the syntax from windows/DOS 0x81 would be a second drive...probably would be the one for a usb stick.

Sorry but this simpleton who was a nooobie first class managed it years ago after getting a bit weary of booting with a CD...you also have the boot using windows bootloader options too but thats aimed at existing hard drives.

Thing is the tutorials for grub4dos are often far more complicated than the process really is...even their own README file is heavy going in translated english.

There was a great wiki which summed it up nicely but its lost it seems...these are not to bad though..
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/fil ... ll_dos.htm
http://staraphd.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/ ... ithin.html

Mike

Burn_IT

#50 Post by Burn_IT »

It seems a little more complex than syslinux.exe -a -m F:
It is. That is because it can do a lot more.
That doesn't mean the command line HAS to be any more complex.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett