Adding AES to Lucid's WPA capability?

n0ukf

Adding AES to Lucid's WPA capability?

#1 Post by n0ukf »

I have trouble connecting to one router with WPA AES encryption. The only WPA option I have in Lucid 5.2.8 is TKIP and I have no control over what the network administrator sets on that router.
Can someone please add AES capability for me?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

You didn't try Frisbee.

An uninstalled Pet in Network or Internet.

Let it install...wait at least 30 seconds...

Run connect again >> wireless >> Frisbee...wait 10 seconds..

see if it picks you up.

Chris.

n0ukf

#3 Post by n0ukf »

I'll have to install tonight and try connecting tomorrow, I'm not at that site right now.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

n0ukf

#4 Post by n0ukf »

Frisbee did it but I've noticed a few times having trouble getting wireless to connect at al (even 6' from a router). Maybe I should drop down from v2 to v1?

Also, when there's multiple routers to connect with, how do you tell it to connect to this one instead of that one? Where in Frisbee's window is the "Connect" button?

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

n0ukf wrote:Can someone please add AES capability for me?
"AES capability" has been standard in Puppy since about Puppy v2.12 in 2007, with the introduction of an updated wpa_supplicant utility. The full network wizard lists this mode as "WPA2".

WPA = TKIP encryption
WPA2 = AES encryption
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

It's feasible that Frisbee automatically detects the router's encryption-type, thus avoiding the user needing to know.

Barkin

Re: Adding AES to Lucid's WPA capability?

#6 Post by Barkin »

n0ukf wrote:I have trouble connecting to one router with WPA AES encryption. The only WPA option I have in Lucid 5.2.8 is TKIP and I have no control over what the network administrator sets on that router.
Can someone please add AES capability for me?
If the router is set to WPA (TKIP) only , not "WPA+WPA2" , (see attachment), and you are not authorised to change the router settings, then you can't use WPA2 (AES) to communicate with that router.
Attachments
router settings accessed through internet browser#.png
(14.72 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by Barkin on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Barkin

#7 Post by Barkin »

Frisbee control panel accessed via "Network" in main Puppy menu ...
Attachments
Frisbee (me WPA2 , neigbour WPA ).png
My router using WPA2 , my neighbour using WPA.
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

n0ukf

#8 Post by n0ukf »

It shows what's available and what you're connected to but how do you choose one over another? that lower left button says create profile but nothing says "connect to...". Router 1 might be stronger but router 3 might be the preferred connection. I see nothing that specifically gives me a CONNECT choice.
I also see nothing saying SAVE profile, just create and edit.

Barkin

#9 Post by Barkin »

n0ukf wrote:It shows what's available and what you're connected to but how do you choose one over another? that lower left button says create profile but nothing says "connect to...". Router 1 might be stronger but router 3 might be the preferred connection. I see nothing that specifically gives me a CONNECT choice.
I also see nothing saying SAVE profile, just create and edit.
See animation attached :
Create a profile for each router, select a profile, tick the "enabled"* box for that profile, then click on "update the profile" , give it 10-20s seconds then that router should be connected

[ * uncheck the "enabled" tick box for the router profile you don't want to use, (i.e. disable), and again click "update selected profile" . Otherwise the computer may connect to it if it has the strongest signal ].
Attachments
select router on Frisbee demo#.gif
animation
(86.75 KiB) Downloaded 349 times