How to change resolution to 1680x1050? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Fester

How to change resolution to 1680x1050? (Solved)

#1 Post by Fester »

Hi all, Linux noob here. I have the Puppy live dvd running on my compaq nx7010. It supports a native resolution of 1680x1050@60. ATI 9200 graphics.

The best I can get out of Puppy is 1024x768 which is a bit tiring on my poor old eyes :? I've googled it and done a search here thru the forums but can't seem to find a solution.

Hope one of you gurus can help me out with this. I've tried most of the other "live distros" but really like Puppy because of it's ability to be used without the dvd in the drive bay and being able to save sessions to your dvd at the end of the day. Only Ubuntu 6.06 and latest Mandriva have given me 1680x1050 straight out of the "box" but I'm more than happy with Puppy and would really like to find a solution to my problem.

Cheers.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

You can try 2 things:

1.)
edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf , and alter the resolution written down in it manually.

If X should refuse to start then, you also can edit it from the console with this command to set back the old values:

mp /etc/X11/xorg.conf

To exit X, hit CTRL-Alt-Backspace.
To start X, type
xwin

-----------------
2.)
Use the ATI-fglrx-driver (propriatary).
But it is huge, 30 MB.

Use this wizard:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8661

It will by default use the same resolution as you currently have.
To change it, use the method described above, or type:
aticonfig --resolution=0,1680x1050

Then restart X.
Mark

MU

#3 Post by MU »

I modified my answer, it had a wrong link.

Fester

#4 Post by Fester »

MU. you're a bloody legend! The first step worked. Thx for the prompt reply :D

Shooter1

#5 Post by Shooter1 »

Hi, I tried methods 1 and 2 and I'm still unable to get 1680x1050 on my BENQ FP202W wide monitor. It defaults to 1280x1024.

My graphics hardware is "onboard" as I have no PCI card slots (only 1 miniPCI slot) it's a very new aOpen (MacMini look-a-like) which I'm hoping not to install Windows on. After installing 3D-CC, choosing "Install propriatary ATI-Driver" and entering "aticonfig --resolution=0,1680x1050" and restarting, xwin wouldn't start and I had to change back from xorg to vesa. Running aticonfig from my vesa 1280x1024 resolution gave:

Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
At least one Device section is required.
Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Undefined Monitor "Monitor0" referenced by Screen "Screen0".

I'm assuming I need to have my video drivers set for xorg (not vesa) to get 1680x1050 working, but I haven't figured out exactly what to change in xorg.conf

Are there any other things I can try?

MU

#6 Post by MU »

I just ran the 3D-CC to set up my Radeon 9250 on a fresh puppy.
I just got a black screen then when starting X, with a onscreen-display message from my monitor "could not sync".
A comparison with a working system showed different entries for the monitor refresh rates.

One thing to correct that:

run the xorgwizard, and choose a monitor with capability of very high resolutions (higher as you need).
Then run 3D-CC to install the Ati-driver.
It will use the monitor-values from the xorgwizard.
It seems Atis driver just works with extreme high values.

Mark