Tor Browser Bundle

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stevielee

Some praise....

#61 Post by stevielee »

Once again, the SFS is working fine on Tahr 6.03 with the 5.0.1 update applied from the Tor site. You're awesome, OscarTalks...this is a fine service.

BTW, nice avatar and sig, Mike.

stevielee

I hate to do this.....

#62 Post by stevielee »

I am now running into problems getting Tor to start. I can't remember exactly how I got the sfs working before, but now I can't. I have tried several different ideas such as starting with new savefiles, installing the sfs and then rebooting before applying Tor updates, and so on.

What is happening is that with the 5.0 sfs, the sfs will load and Tor will run and ask to be updated. I download the updates, then close the browser. I then try to restart, and nothing happens. I try to start again, and the browser opens and applies the updates. Then I close the browser and try to restart. Nothing happens from then on. Any attempt to restart on the command line gives the message:

Code: Select all

root# tor-browser
/root/my-applications/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser: line 37: [: : integer expression expected
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --error

On the 5.1 sfs, no matter what, I get a window appearing stating that the browser closed unexpectedly...even when I run puppy in ram without a savefile and the tor has never been run before.

I don't know what changed in this situation to make this so difficult.
I am running TahrPup 6.02.

Thanks

OscarTalks

#63 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello stevielee

Thanks for the report. I have updated the packages to version 5.0.2 which has now been released.

I have to modify the start-tor-browser script to get Tor Browser to run in Puppy and I think the automatic update process is now overwriting this script and so eliminating my modifications.

As an attemped solution I have renamed the script to start-tor-browser-puppy and the launcher (torbrowser or tor-browser) in /usr/bin now calls this renamed script. Hopefully then any downloaded start-tor-browser script is ignored and my modified script remains.

I normally load Tor Browser as .sfs and update that when new versions come out. I disable automatic updates as this downloads a large package (the new version) which occupies a lot of savefile space.
Oscar in England

stemsee

#64 Post by stemsee »

For your info

Since tor 4.0.8 the tor bundle is self updating, there is no need to download anymore bundles. After starting tor browser you have to wait: first a notification will invite you to download the new bundle - ignore that and close it. Keep waiting, after 5 - 10 minutes tor will offer to update to the latest version which it will do successfully.

When I released tor 4.0.8.sfs bundle I did explain that it would be my last tor release as it became self-updating. I am runnig Dpup wheezy with self-updated tor 5.0.2, and it's great!

OscarTalks

#65 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello stemsee,

I think you are probably way ahead of me and you figured out a way to circumnavigate the problems of the start script on automatic update ages ago.

I do think it is nice though for anyone installing for the first time to have a recent version as a starting point. Also for folks like me running frugal installs and loading .sfs packages as I said I like to avoid having the large update packages occupying my savefile. I usually run Dpup Wheezy too by the way.
Oscar in England

stemsee

#66 Post by stemsee »

Yes, I totally agree, mainly for those who have their stable distro remaster with 4.0.8+ onboard.

Even for them/us getting yours is probably quicker.

All I did was change 0 to 1 where it checks for root and renamed to start-tor-browserp then made a link in the parent directory! That's it, after the upgrade it didn't change it.

karunakaran

#67 Post by karunakaran »

Installed tor-browser-4.5.1-x86.sfs
During start up, updated with latest as requested.

After closing the session, while restarting again from the menu, torbrowser was not running.

Checked up with command line and the error message appeared as below:

#torbrowser
/root/my-applications/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser: line 37: [: : integer expression expected
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --error
#

How to fix this error?

OscarTalks

#68 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello karunakaran,

I would suggest unloading the version 4.5.1 .sfs
Then downloading the .sfs of Tor Browser 5.0.2 from:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Load that one instead.
It has a fix for the problem of overwriting of the start-tor-browser script file on automatic updates.

Those automatic updates are in fact installing pretty much the same large package again but in a way that occupies space in a save-file. If you are using .sfs it would be better not to allow these updates. Just keep updating the .sfs while ever they become available. If save-file space is not a concern to you then I suppose it is OK.

If you don't mind re-setting your Tor Browser (losing any preferences and add-ons etc) you can clean it all out and reclaim the space by doing:-

1) Unload the old .sfs
2) Delete /root/my-applications/tor-browser (directory and contents)
3) Load the new .sfs
4) Run your fresh Tor Browser
Oscar in England

karunakaran

#69 Post by karunakaran »

Hello Oscar

Thanks a lot. Torbrowser WORKS now.

I just followed your 4 steps.

stevielee

Thanks again...

#70 Post by stevielee »

OscarTalks-

I did not have the chance to thank you for your response to my problem last time. I have been away but just now wanted to thank you for that as well as for the new update yesterday. I will likely stick with your advice to karunakuran to get the new sfs's as you roll them out. I might try stemsee's ideas...if I get the time.

Jasper

#72 Post by Jasper »

Reserved - EDIT:

The link below may be more helpful than gcmartin's?

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-me ... tor-easily

OscarTalks

#73 Post by OscarTalks »

Took a quick look at Tor Messenger 0.1.0b3 running "portable" in /mnt/home with start-tor-messenger script modified to allow run-as-root and it does start and run.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter. Looked at the other protocols. Tried to log in with a Yahoo account but that didn't want to work. Tried a Google gmail account and that was rejected. Signing in to gmail via a browser I saw that the sign-in had been rejected by Google because it was considered a "less secure app". Google offered me a page with a setting (google account) which supposedly allows "less secure apps" to log in and I tried this but still could not log in with Tor Messenger.
Oscar in England

labbe5

Tor Messenger

#74 Post by labbe5 »

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10 ... am-around/

Tor Messenger can be downloaded, but it's more for beta testing than for public use. In any case, Tor Messenger is aimed at users who don't want their location known, and want encryption.

bark_bark_bark

Re: Tor Messenger

#75 Post by bark_bark_bark »

labbe5 wrote:http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10 ... am-around/

Tor Messenger can be downloaded, but it's more for beta testing than for public use. In any case, Tor Messenger is aimed at users who don't want their location known, and want encryption.
Tor messanger in some form relies on JS, thus deluting any security that the app has. at least you can disable JS in the tor browser.

Rodney Byne

Running Tor 5.0.4.pet in Quirky

#76 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hello OscarTalks,

Tor 5.0.4.pet runs perfectly in Slacko 5.9.3, but I find
that although it installs ok in Quirky 6.1.4 & April 7.2.1,
for example, it doesn't run in either.
Terminal mode shows no errors, so can you please advise
what will make it burst into life.

I know Barry K re-compiled Quirky in T2, is that a
contributory factor or is there some deeper reason?

After reading your previous pages, would it help to
run killall seamonkey where appropriate?

Assistance would be appreciated.

Best regards.

OscarTalks

#77 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Rodney Byne,

I think the problem is because there are differences between Quirky and Puppy including the filesystem structure. In Quirky the user's HOME directory is /file not /root

My packages are designed for Puppy and put the main tor-browser directory under /root/my-applications because the user data is all stored internally inside the tor-browser directory. I did not want this directory in the system files even though it would all work when running as root. With frugal installs it is better to move the directory to somewhere under /mnt/home as this prevents using up of any save-file space although the function is not changed in any way.

The point is though that once I have done my couple of tweaks, the browser all runs from the tor-browser directory which can be run from anywhere and stores everything inside itself. You should be able to move it to a location under /file but then you would need to edit the launcher script in /usr/bin to give it the correct path.

I did do some tests with April 7.0.4.1 but I don't run Quirky at present. You could have a go at the modifications yourself or maybe I will take a look and report back.

EDIT:- Just doing a quick test and it doesn't launch but I just remembered that Quirky doesn't have dbus so that might be another problem. Running Quirky as Live CD so I don't think I can test this because installing dbus requires a reboot I believe. If you have Quirky installed try installing dbus and dbus-glib from PPM then reboot and try tor-browser again. The /root location may be OK. Sorry but I am just not that familiar with the quirks of Quirky.
Oscar in England

Rodney Byne

Re Tor browser

#78 Post by Rodney Byne »

Thanks so far Oscar.

Being a 70yo pensioner, I'm not a coder so would much prefer
if you could look at the above yourself & as you say report back.

However I can tell you that dBus & dBus-glib are already installed
in April 7.2.1.

Now I moved the whole Tor-browser directory into /mnt/home/
and edited /usr/bin line 12 from what it was, to this:
# exec /mnt/home/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser-puppy"$@"

When I enter tor-browser into console, I get this back:
# tor-browser
# /usr/bin/tor-browser: line 12: /root/my-applications/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser-puppy: No such file or directory

But I'm not on Puppy, I'm on April now anyway, so the above line must therefore be invalid & Tor can't launch.

So I seem to be back where I started - I'm out of my depth Oscar,
this is way over my head.

Could you write us all a pet that just works please for the whole Quirky and April family, it would save a great deal of time for everyone who wants to use Tor in this newer forked range of distros.

Many thanks in advance.

OscarTalks

#79 Post by OscarTalks »

Really sorry but I may not be able to offer support for Tor Browser in Quirky at this time. If I get chance to take a look later I will but I am not sure about the persistence situation and I don't want to install it. It may not be practical to offer a .pet anyway if it depends on dbus. It might be an idea to post in the Quirky thread and see if BK or one of the regular users in there can offer any suggestions.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#80 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 5.0.5 has been released but this includes an upgrade of the browser. Is anyone else finding that it now rejects Flash Player because it is not happy with the Flash version 11.2?
Oscar in England