Tor Browser Bundle

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#46 Post by OscarTalks »

Packages now updated to version 4.0.8
The updating process (auto or manual) now seems to work without needing to create fresh profiles or anything. Users may find that they get a lot of "captcha" verification requests because the "tor exit nodes tend to earn a bad reputation". It has its limitations but can prove useful on occasions. Thanks to all the folks who are testing and responding.
Oscar in England

Judes

#47 Post by Judes »

Why not just use the Tails OS ?

bark_bark_bark

#48 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Judes wrote:Why not just use the Tails OS ?
some people, like me, don't have the time and internet speed to download a 900MB+ ISO image.

Judes

#49 Post by Judes »

Is this the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

And are you checking the signatures for packages?

torproject.org/docs/verifying-signatures.html.en

Don't know if you are already aware of this or tried it but Mic Lee who is developing Onionshare for the torproject has a linux easy starter for the browser.

github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher

Automatically updating (while preserving your bookmarks and preferences) Verifying the TBB's GnuPG signature

Also it has AppArmor that limits the browser integration with the operating system to limit out of bounds exploits.

:?: :?: :?:

OscarTalks

#50 Post by OscarTalks »

This is the 32 bit version with x86 in the name. I am not sure if it is i386 or i686 but if we can establish that I will specify in future. I have added a note to the first post. I don't do the verification but do always download from the official site. Puppy does not appear to have the gpg tool but I may look into this in future. Packages from me should always be regarded as experimental. Usual precautions should always be taken.
Oscar in England

cimarron

#51 Post by cimarron »

Any luck with Tor Browser 4.5 yet? It just crashes on me with no error output...

keyboard

#52 Post by keyboard »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Judes wrote:Why not just use the Tails OS ?
some people, like me, don't have the time and internet speed to download a 900MB+ ISO image.
Ah.. I suppose someone should make a puppy version of it :P

Thanks for the new update tor bundle 4.0.8 works fine with my puppy tharpup 6.0.2
It really helps to do research anonymously ;)

cimarron

#53 Post by cimarron »

Any help with Tor Browser 4.5? I think it's been out for a couple weeks now. Just crashes for me....

OscarTalks

#54 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 4.5.1 (32 bit) uploaded for testing.
Oscar in England

cimarron

#55 Post by cimarron »

Thank you! Your SFS works fine on Precise.

Did you just comment out the root check in the start-tor script (and add menu entry and place tor-browser in my-applications), or were more alterations necessary?

OscarTalks

#56 Post by OscarTalks »

I had to chown everything to root:root
This version attempts to launch via its own .desktop file which self-edits or something. I removed that (2 .desktop files) and disabled the script. I also commented out the lines in the starter script which deal with this process. It seems to be working but I am just a relative novice who likes experimenting so all feedback is welcome.
Oscar in England

bark_bark_bark

#57 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Thank you for maintaining the tor browser SFS.

bark_bark_bark

#58 Post by bark_bark_bark »

There is a new tor browser version, 4.5.2 and it fixes the Lojam vulnerability.

OscarTalks

#59 Post by OscarTalks »

Version number has now gone to 5.0
Based on Firefox ESR 38.2.0 so size has increased.
Seems to work but have only tested it briefly in Wheezy.
See first post.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for this, Oscar.

Downloaded, and running Tor 5.0 in Tahrpup 6.03. Working nicely so far...no problems yet. Will report back if, as & when...

Mike. :)

stevielee

Some praise....

#61 Post by stevielee »

Once again, the SFS is working fine on Tahr 6.03 with the 5.0.1 update applied from the Tor site. You're awesome, OscarTalks...this is a fine service.

BTW, nice avatar and sig, Mike.

stevielee

I hate to do this.....

#62 Post by stevielee »

I am now running into problems getting Tor to start. I can't remember exactly how I got the sfs working before, but now I can't. I have tried several different ideas such as starting with new savefiles, installing the sfs and then rebooting before applying Tor updates, and so on.

What is happening is that with the 5.0 sfs, the sfs will load and Tor will run and ask to be updated. I download the updates, then close the browser. I then try to restart, and nothing happens. I try to start again, and the browser opens and applies the updates. Then I close the browser and try to restart. Nothing happens from then on. Any attempt to restart on the command line gives the message:

Code: Select all

root# tor-browser
/root/my-applications/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser: line 37: [: : integer expression expected
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --error

On the 5.1 sfs, no matter what, I get a window appearing stating that the browser closed unexpectedly...even when I run puppy in ram without a savefile and the tor has never been run before.

I don't know what changed in this situation to make this so difficult.
I am running TahrPup 6.02.

Thanks

OscarTalks

#63 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello stevielee

Thanks for the report. I have updated the packages to version 5.0.2 which has now been released.

I have to modify the start-tor-browser script to get Tor Browser to run in Puppy and I think the automatic update process is now overwriting this script and so eliminating my modifications.

As an attemped solution I have renamed the script to start-tor-browser-puppy and the launcher (torbrowser or tor-browser) in /usr/bin now calls this renamed script. Hopefully then any downloaded start-tor-browser script is ignored and my modified script remains.

I normally load Tor Browser as .sfs and update that when new versions come out. I disable automatic updates as this downloads a large package (the new version) which occupies a lot of savefile space.
Oscar in England

stemsee

#64 Post by stemsee »

For your info

Since tor 4.0.8 the tor bundle is self updating, there is no need to download anymore bundles. After starting tor browser you have to wait: first a notification will invite you to download the new bundle - ignore that and close it. Keep waiting, after 5 - 10 minutes tor will offer to update to the latest version which it will do successfully.

When I released tor 4.0.8.sfs bundle I did explain that it would be my last tor release as it became self-updating. I am runnig Dpup wheezy with self-updated tor 5.0.2, and it's great!

OscarTalks

#65 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello stemsee,

I think you are probably way ahead of me and you figured out a way to circumnavigate the problems of the start script on automatic update ages ago.

I do think it is nice though for anyone installing for the first time to have a recent version as a starting point. Also for folks like me running frugal installs and loading .sfs packages as I said I like to avoid having the large update packages occupying my savefile. I usually run Dpup Wheezy too by the way.
Oscar in England