Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 04:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Wary 5.5 hangs on "Please wait, copying Puppy files to sda2"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
jerryb1961

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 20:58    Post_subject:  Wary 5.5 hangs on "Please wait, copying Puppy files to sda2"  

I have an old Averatec 3200-series laptop that I'm trying to breathe new life into.

Wary 5.5 boots off the CD just fine and even detected the damnable Unichrome video chipset, and a WPC54G wireless card(!) as well. Running off the live CD works fine.

However, installing to the hard drive doesn't work. This is a regular, not 'frugal' install. I created a partition for it, and a swap partition, and directed the installer to look for the Puppy files on the CD. Upon starting that particular stage of the install there's a hard lock up. The HDD and CD cease activity; the mouse pointer doesn't move; no keyboard, etc. Do I need to pass failsafe parameters to the kernel, and if so, how I do I do that before I start the install?

TIA....!
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 21:16    Post_subject:  

Sounds like the symptoms of a RAM crash.. how much RAM do you have? You could try to make a swap file/partition to take the pressure off of RAM.
jerryb1961

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 21:48    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
Sounds like the symptoms of a RAM crash.. how much RAM do you have? You could try to make a swap file/partition to take the pressure off of RAM.

I'm not sure I understand. I did create a swap partition. The machine has 1GB of RAM
nubc

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 03:47    Post_subject:  

Is this computer a dual boot? What is on sda1? Why is PUI copying files to sda2? In a simple partition setup, the swap partition is usually designated sda2, so you may be installing to the swap partition, which is not gonna fly. Please provide a description of your partitions (use resident GParted partition manager). After proper partitioning, the boot flag must be set on the Puppy partition, which is typically sda1.
jerryb1961

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 10:09    Post_subject:  

nubc wrote:
Is this computer a dual boot? What is on sda1? Why is PUI copying files to sda2? In a simple partition setup, the swap partition is usually designated sda2, so you may be installing to the swap partition, which is not gonna fly. Please provide a description of your partitions (use resident GParted partition manager). After proper partitioning, the boot flag must be set on the Puppy partition, which is typically sda1.

Yes, it's dual-boot. The first partition is designated sda1 and contains XP, then sda2 is an ext2 one I created with gparted, then finally there's a 2GB swap partition.
nubc

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 15:35    Post_subject:  

It's easy to full-install Puppy, takes 5 or 10 minutes. You could try installing a slightly earlier version of Wary, to determine if the problem is a kernel issue. You could go back as far as Wary 5.2 at the earliest, and perhaps upgrade SeaMonkey with watchdog's SM2.23 package. It's easy enough to delete such a trial installation. Just delete the partition (sda2) using GParted and then add it back. May I also suggest you use the ext3 file system, because ext3 journaling facilitates recovery in case of improper shutdown or power failure. By way of example, after accidental power failure, the automatic system file check on an ext2 partition can take 15 to 20 minutes.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum