getting sound to play mysterious

Please post any bugs you have found
canyoureallysmellme from

getting sound to play mysterious

#1 Post by canyoureallysmellme from »

I came on this site trying to sort out why Puppy would not play sounds, having followed the setup alsa sound box instructions a number of times, and exhausted the options there.

I then got hold of "Wary 5.3 BABYbarebones Xvesa" and tried it out, which only uses Xvesa, not Xorg, and then tried out some other distros. To my surprise, after this, my sound worked on all the distros. Uh? So then I tried loading the graphics using Xorg, not Xvesa, on the regular Wary 5.2.2 and it seemed to me that using Xorg turned off the sound again. Once more nothing I did could turn the sound back on again.

So I looked at the packages installed BABYbarebones, and both Xorg and Xvesa show in the list, but actually Xorg seems to have been disabled. I wonder if this is some sort of bug in Xorg? The distro has both Alsa and Retrovol sound packages on it. But it may be that one of these has been disabled too, or that Retrovol is being used in the setup list, not the usual Alsa.

I have read getting sound to work in Puppy has been a problem for a lot of people, and so thought I would mention this possible bug, which I think is Xorg doing something to the sound settings.

The other strange thing is that what ever turned on my sound, is now not dependant on the Distro. I ran puppy from a CD and did not save it as a warysave file. In fact my computer has not got a hard drive at the moment. So when I turned it off last night, all the things disappeared with the Ram. Last night I also took out the battery of the computer overnight assuming this might reset the Bios, but perhaps I am wrong about taking out the battery to reset the Bios (the computer is an Amilo-L, according to what benchmark found, by Fujitsu...but I am not fully sure of the computers name...yes the name is on the underside of the computer, but I don't want to turn the computer off and upside down when I am midway through typing this) 500mb ram.

This morning I put in the battery and the regular Puppy Wary 5.2.2 I wish to use (it seems that only Wary 5.2.2 has the correct drivers for my Canon PIXMA MP480 printer...none of the other distros seem to have this version of gutenprint, so it has to be Wary 5.2.2 until I find out how to get a copy of the driver online as a ppd file or install the correct gutenprint...how do you do this anyhow?). This version, Wary 5.2.2, was the one I could not get the sound to work on what ever I did..This morning, now it works "straight out of the box". My guess is something must be getting written to the actual computer (to the Bios?) when you either use Xorg, or when you use Xvesa/ Perhaps I just don't understand computers; but I love the mystery of this one.